Beauty salons opening from Monday 13th July in England

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had nightmares on Sunday night about the salon
I only booked four of my favourite clients in as well to test the waters and I was still nervous as anything.

Hope you chill out a little as the week goes by x
I’ve had a few bad dreams too!
Good idea starting with your favourites! My first treatments are on my friends

Sorry you had such a difficult time, I’m starting next week. Spent the whole of yesterday messaging clients.
I feel there’s so much to remember and it’s going to be mentally tiring!
I’m mobile too and usually I store everything at my parents’ and I’ve spent lockdown with them so I’m moving back to my place on Sunday and won’t want to be going in to their house once I start work.
I can’t store everything in my car as I have 2 big dogs and they will have to go to my parents in the day while I’m working!
Really hope the PPE gets more comfy over time and hope you have a better day today!
Do you have a garage? I’m keeping everything I use in there as don’t really want it coming into the house regardless if it’s all sanitised.
Exhausted today & everything hurts!

I had nightmares on Sunday night about the salon
I only booked four of my favourite clients in as well to test the waters and I was still nervous as anything.

Hope you chill out a little as the week goes by x

I finally cracked my Risk Assessment yesterday, I'd been toying with it for a few weeks and Husband made me sit and finally do it. I confess i felt a huge weight lifted once it was done. I also did the Covid-19 Course The Beauty Guild set up. There was nothing in it I didn't already know but it was good to officially know I'm on top of it, definitely worth £20 for peace of mind.

Salon cleaning and rearranging today, later I'm collecting two white plastic chairs I've purchased from FB Market Place to replace my upholstered desk chairs. I don't plan to use them forever but need somethingthat can be easily sanitised innthe short term

Slept better so not as anxious today :D

Last edited:
Thankyou for the support, have done plenty of crying LOL But hopefully nice glass of wine, tv & early night will do the trick.
Donnalizzy & traciecheeky good luck! Are you guys in a salon? I hope it will be easier for you if you are.
I was starting to get ideas about a permanent space before lockdown as I was struggling with Mobile then but i’m really thinking about it again now. Not sure how finances would be & I would lose my lovely elderly clients but I feel it’s got to be easier in the current situation.

Hi I work in a room at home so I’m on my own [emoji51] start tomorrow very nervous hope I’ve thought of everything ‍♀️

Hi I work in a room at home so I’m on my own [emoji51] start tomorrow very nervous hope I’ve thought of everything ‍♀
Good luck! I’m sure you’ll be fine.
My second day was a bit easier, just cleaning takes soooo long & usually out in the street, I get some funny looks! lol

Hi I’m asking all my ladies to confirm 3 questions before coming to me
Not had a

cough
High temperature
Loss of taste or smell

Is anyone else doing the same sort of thing
Cheers

I finally cracked my Risk Assessment yesterday, I'd been toying with it for a few weeks and Husband made me sit and finally do it. I confess i felt a huge weight lifted once it was done. I also did the Covid-19 Course The Beauty Guild set up. There was nothing in it I didn't already know but it was good to officially know I'm on top of it, definitely worth £20 for peace of mind.

Salon cleaning and rearranging today, later I'm collecting two white plastic chairs I've purchased from FB Market Place to replace my upholstered desk chairs. I don't plan to use them forever but need somethingthat can be easily sanitised innthe short term

Slept better so not as anxious today :D
I was already with the guild and I’ve found their course brilliant, I used all their templates for my policy, risk assessments and consultation form!
Good luck with everything

Do you have a garage? I’m keeping everything I use in there as don’t really want it coming into the house regardless if it’s all sanitised.
Exhausted today & everything hurts!
That’s a brilliant idea!

Hi I’m asking all my ladies to confirm 3 questions before coming to me
Not had a

cough
High temperature
Loss of taste or smell

Is anyone else doing the same sort of thing
Cheers

I am asking:

If they currently have any COVID symptoms or are unwell in any way
If they have been in contact with anyone who has a positive COVID test result in the last 14 days
If they have undertaken any flights in or outside of the U.K. In the last 14 days

I don't know where I stand legally with refusing clients who have returned on flights, but I not willing to see them as I personally feel that's way too risky. Although no doubt some will lie.

I reopened on Monday, I can only massage as my other treatments are currently banned (cheers Boris), I might just reclose until we don't have to wear gloves for massage. My clients are not liking it, although I am getting used to it but it's not the same. Going through the menapause in this get up is challenging to say the least.

I am more than a bit pissed off that I closed down for months, get a reopening date but can't perform the bulk of my work, and the only treatment I can offer is restricted too. Staying closed whilst building up debt to reopen to this, was not worth it.

Just finished my first day, crumbs that was stressful what with Ppe and cleaning everything in between ladies . Maybe I’m a bit over the top, seem to clean everything, didn’t wear gloves on my last pedicure as it doesn’t seem any different, you’re spreading the germs either way ‍♀️

I am asking:

If they currently have any COVID symptoms or are unwell in any way
If they have been in contact with anyone who has a positive COVID test result in the last 14 days
If they have undertaken any flights in or outside of the U.K. In the last 14 days

I don't know where I stand legally with refusing clients who have returned on flights, but I not willing to see them as I personally feel that's way too risky. Although no doubt some will lie.

I reopened on Monday, I can only massage as my other treatments are currently banned (cheers Boris), I might just reclose until we don't have to wear gloves for massage. My clients are not liking it, although I am getting used to it but it's not the same. Going through the menapause in this get up is challenging to say the least.

I am more than a bit pissed off that I closed down for months, get a reopening date but can't perform the bulk of my work, and the only treatment I can offer is restricted too. Staying closed whilst building up debt to reopen to this, was not worth it.
I’m with you, I don’t want to treat anyone who’s been abroad, the virus is still very rife in the holiday destinations plus catching flights, they’re notorious infection hubs.

Just finished my first day, crumbs that was stressful what with Ppe and cleaning everything in between ladies . Maybe I’m a bit over the top, seem to clean everything, didn’t wear gloves on my last pedicure as it doesn’t seem any different, you’re spreading the germs either way ‍♀
I clean absolutely everything too....seems there’s not enough sanitiser in the world! Lol
Hope it gets easier for you,

Bad day yesterday - asked a client who has been coming to me for 15+ years and who I also class as a friend, to come for her appointment a few days early before I officially open and be my guineapig.

Urgh :rolleyes: ended up in tears before she arrived. My uniform didn't fit. I couldn't decide what task to do first regarding pre-arrival cleaning so ended up wandering around like a zombie half dressed, crying, carrying spray sanitiser and cloths (luckily I work from home). My visors, and disposable aprons hadn't arrived despite the supplier saying they were in stock and my order going in 7 days ago. Fortunately my client works in a care home and kindly offered to bring me some supplies (I think that was to ensure I didn't cancel her appointment) I'm menopausal so get hot flushes at the best of times so reading glasses steaming up is an issue anyway but add in a mask and it's horrendous. The visor kept sliding down my forehead, the mask kept riding up my nose and pushing my glasses up.

Once I got started working the routine and rhythm came back and apart from knocking the visor on my chest a couple of times and having to push it back up my forehead, actually working was fine. I've tightened the band on the visor, cleaned my specs with shaving foam, etc.

Then came the next wave of stress, how to do 'close down'. I think I was over thinking everything, but just couldn't work out a way of keeping clean hands but touching things like card reader, used tools, towel, anti bacterial wipes box, 'dirty' tools box, touch point cleaning, etc. I ended up in tears again.

I'm fairly methodical and routine loving but this has properly confused me, luckily one of my close friends is a nurse and she's offered to pop in and give me some pointers. I've always worked 'clean' - santised tools between clients, individual abrasives, cleaned desk, bannisters, bathroom, clean towels, etc. but the added perceived 'risk' has thrown me into a flat spin. I think I'm trying to achieve almost hospital standard cleaning, which I'm not sure is actually needed. I'm not a hospital, or a dentist, I'm not performing surgery or dentistry, I'm just filing someones nails ;)

So, in conclusion, do a pre-opening run, not just with your partner, child, whatever, but with a real client because it adds an extra layer of reality as includes actually working for length of time, and providing an actual service that has to be up to standard to charge for.

I've slept on it and it still feels like too much :(

Bad day yesterday - asked a client who has been coming to me for 15+ years and who I also class as a friend, to come for her appointment a few days early before I officially open and be my guineapig.

Urgh :rolleyes: ended up in tears before she arrived. My uniform didn't fit. I couldn't decide what task to do first regarding pre-arrival cleaning so ended up wandering around like a zombie half dressed, crying, carrying spray sanitiser and cloths (luckily I work from home). My visors, and disposable aprons hadn't arrived despite the supplier saying they were in stock and my order going in 7 days ago. Fortunately my client works in a care home and kindly offered to bring me some supplies (I think that was to ensure I didn't cancel her appointment) I'm menopausal so get hot flushes at the best of times so reading glasses steaming up is an issue anyway but add in a mask and it's horrendous. The visor kept sliding down my forehead, the mask kept riding up my nose and pushing my glasses up.

Once I got started working the routine and rhythm came back and apart from knocking the visor on my chest a couple of times and having to push it back up my forehead, actually working was fine. I've tightened the band on the visor, cleaned my specs with shaving foam, etc.

Then came the next wave of stress, how to do 'close down'. I think I was over thinking everything, but just couldn't work out a way of keeping clean hands but touching things like card reader, used tools, towel, anti bacterial wipes box, 'dirty' tools box, touch point cleaning, etc. I ended up in tears again.

I'm fairly methodical and routine loving but this has properly confused me, luckily one of my close friends is a nurse and she's offered to pop in and give me some pointers. I've always worked 'clean' - santised tools between clients, individual abrasives, cleaned desk, bannisters, bathroom, clean towels, etc. but the added perceived 'risk' has thrown me into a flat spin. I think I'm trying to achieve almost hospital standard cleaning, which I'm not sure is actually needed. I'm not a hospital, or a dentist, I'm not performing surgery or dentistry, I'm just filing someones nails ;)

So, in conclusion, do a pre-opening run, not just with your partner, child, whatever, but with a real client because it adds an extra layer of reality as includes actually working for length of time, and providing an actual service that has to be up to standard to charge for.

Totally get where you are coming from. I have had to make up a little clean down list and laminate it, so I keep going through it when the clients left. It's starting to come naturally now and I don't need to keep checking the list. But at first I forgot something stupid and found I was over cleaning.

So sorry you’ve had a bad day.
Ive only just quickly read your post, can you wipe over your used tools and put them straight in to barbicide or I’ve bought a portable uv box and that I will put them straight in to and give them a zap so they are ready for the next client. I will also zap them again at the next client’s to give them peace of mind.
It’s so very stressful but I’m sure will get easier for you, best wishes.

So sorry you’ve had a bad day.
Ive only just quickly read your post, can you wipe over your used tools and put them straight in to barbicide or I’ve bought a portable uv box and that I will put them straight in to and give them a zap so they are ready for the next client. I will also zap them again at the next client’s to give them peace of mind.
It’s so very stressful but I’m sure will get easier for you, best wishes.

@Alexandra T - they need to be washed in hot soapy water before santising

I have a 'clean' box of washed tools (on my right) only touched with 'clean' hands just washed and sanitised in front of client
My routine involves taking out a set needed and tool santiser in front of client before use (as I've always done) and clients personal abrasives (as I've always done)
Used tools into 'dirty' box (to my left)

After client leaves 'dirty' box, tools and abrasives taken to be washed then returned to 'clean' box. Abrasives returned to clients record card envelope.

In theory it sounds fine, in practice it didn't work so well.

The tools bit worked OK, it was things like picking up used towel (hands now 'dirty') then I absentmindedly moved 'clean' tool box with 'dirty' hands so hand to wipe it down and used hand sanitiser. Picked up card reader to clean it, hands are 'dirty' again :eek: cleaned it, put that in its place, hand santised again. Picked up Shellac bottles to put away, hands 'dirty' again :eek: had a little cry, wiped them down. Managed to wipe desk, chair, etc without too many tears. Great. Then came PPE. Apron in bin, fine. To bathroom to wash visor, hands done at same time. Take visor back to salon to spray, pick up hard surface cleaner bottle with clean hands only to realise I didn't wipe that earlier so now hands are 'dirty' again :eek:, santise hands, bottle and visor. Pick up clean towel and arrange clean table ready for next client - fab! Absentmindedly pick up 'dirty' towel to put bin laundry bin, hands are 'dirty' again :eek: realise laundry bin is in my bedroom (whites compartment on big bin in bedroom - I used to do them all in one go on a Friday evening) can't leave it in there so need to buy a new laundry bin for salon. I will launder daily once up and running but still need somewhere for them to go whilst I do other clients.

Hand sanitise again, have another little overwhelmed sob ;)

I will crack it, but it certainly didn't flow like I anticipated, and it wasn't fun.

Last edited:
@Alexandra T - they need to be washed in hot soapy water before santising

I have a 'clean' box of washed tools (on my right) only touched with 'clean' hands just washed and sanitised in front of client
My routine involves taking out a set needed and tool santiser in front of client before use (as I've always done) and clients personal abrasives (as I've always done)
Used tools into 'dirty' box (to my left)

After client leaves 'dirty' box, tools and abrasives taken to be washed then returned to 'clean' box. Abrasives returned to clients record card envelope.

In theory it sounds fine, in practice it didn't work so well.

The tools bit worked OK, it was things like picking up used towel (hands now 'dirty') then I absentmindedly moved 'clean' tool box with 'dirty' hands so hand to wipe it down and used hand sanitiser. Picked up card reader to clean it, hands are 'dirty' again :eek: cleaned it, put that in its place, hand santised again. Picked up Shellac bottles to put away, hands 'dirty' again :eek: had a little cry, wiped them down. Managed to wipe desk, chair, etc without too many tears. Great. Then came PPE. Apron in bin, fine. To bathroom to wash visor, hands done at same time. Take visor back to salon to spray, pick up hard surface cleaner bottle with clean hands only to realise I didn't wipe that earlier so now hands are 'dirty' again :eek:, santise hands, bottle and visor. Pick up clean towel and arrange clean table ready for next client - fab! Absentmindedly pick up 'dirty' towel to put bin laundry bin, hands are 'dirty' again :eek: realise laundry bin is in my bedroom (whites compartment on big bin in bedroom - I used to do them all in one go on a Friday evening) can't leave it in there so need to buy a new laundry bin for salon. I will launder daily once up and running but still need somewhere for them to go whilst I do other clients.

Hand sanitise again, have another little overwhelmed sob ;)

I will crack it, but it certainly didn't flow like I anticipated, and it wasn't fun.
I can so understand how you’re feeling, it sounds like you’re doing an amazing job.
I think we will make mistakes sometimes by touching something that isn’t clean, we can only do our best and it sounds like you’re very meticulous.
I’m starting back on Monday, nervous and excited but not happy with Boris’ latest announcement about working on face area after the 1st, I’m not ready yet!
I’ve posted on my Facebook page to say I want to get used to new procedures with a limited list of treatments but expecting to get lots of messages asking me to do face area

I know where you’re coming from, I started back on Wednesday, work from home on my own, felt like first day at school, hardly slept the night before, seems to take ages cleaning , got a spray bottle of diluted barbicide and seem to get through loads of kitchen roll as use to clean down, think I over clean, seem to touch so much when working, as for mask visor AND I wear glasses which get steamed up all the time, getting through loads of ppe as keep forgetting items so have to keep going to my cupboard, remove gloves get item out put new gloves on, this is going to cost us a fortune [emoji26][emoji26]
Now I have to fit in face treatments [emoji24]

I’ve had a few bad dreams too!
Good idea starting with your favourites! My first treatments are on my friends

Yeah less stressful and eased us back in x

Sorry you had a shitty time lovely ☹️
Hope you’re feeling better now x

Latest posts

Back