Beauty student freelance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danniefrankie

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm currently studying beauty therapy level 2 and I'm quite advance and was wondering if I would be allowed to start freelancing while studying?

Hi - I'm doing the same course but part-time and I've been doing treatments on clients since we started out first unit. Couple of things to consider:

1) Insurance - you will need to purchase this before you carry out any treatments outside of college. You can either go for student or full insurance - there are loads of providers so have a look but I will explain why I decided to go with full membership.

With full insurance I provide 'case studies' -these are my level 2 units. I can only provide treatments I'm been trained in and practice them as I've been taught and I must charge less than the industry standard price. This full insurance also allows me to train in enrichment courses i.e. spray tanning, threading etc and charge full industry prices.

2) I have my own client consultation cards and patch test etc. as my insurance company instruct.

I love doing these treatments and it has really helped my learning at college. However, you need to be aware that you will not make money during this period as there is SO much 'stuff' to buy. With each new unit there is so much more equipment to get. I get paid for my treatment and plough it straight back into products but I don't care - the practice really gets you through the assessments.

Good luck

Ooh I am hoping to start a beauty therapy VTCT diploma soon. I already have a manicure and pedicure certificate and my insurance is with the Guild of Beauty Therapists.
When I begin my course and start to learn new units how to I go about getting the insurance to cover me for these. Would I just ring them and say for example 'I have completed a unit in lash and brow tinting' and get it added to my insurance?

@ugg73 thank you so much, you've helped a lot :) x

Be very careful when looking at insurance - I decided to go with BABTAC because they seemed mindful of students and students who wanted to do enrichment courses.

Check things like: I think the guild would not allow beauty students to do tinting or waxing even if you had covered the unit and were deemed competent by the college :evil: How are you meant to practice?

I have full insurance - I have a cover note (? not sure if that's the correct term) that says I can do my level 2 'case studies' - I obviously have to abide to the terms and conditions. I've done a couple of enrichment courses within college (Sienna X spray tans) and threading at a private provider/trainer outside of college and I simply email a pdf copy of the certificate and I get a new (cover note?) adding that service.

I don't need to tell them when I've covered specific Level 2 college units - you have to 'police' yourself - if you provided a service you had not been trained in and it went wrong - you would not be covered.

Good luck! :D

Latest posts

Back