Beauty therapist qualifications?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my a and p nvq3 in 2009 whilst studying aromatherapy. In the first instance I did aromatherapy whilst studying osteopathy as it was a means to make money whilst I qualified. To become an Osteopath, I studied a and p at a far more in-depth level than nvq 3 (more than a GP who actually only do a small fraction of a and p as they study mainly medicine) so I guess that may be why I am taking the higher ground on this one lol

My point is that there are plenty of people in the beauty and holistic industry who are qualified enough not to take beauty nvq 3 and still can be therapists :)

Yeah I completely understand what you are saying , but I think in this industry if you have an NVQ like i said you are one step ahead as beauty is all about experience anyway , whether you are a doctor , nurse , dentist or whatever beauty is a different world it's a complete different style/level of qualification x

Hmmm thats pretty elitist.....so what do you look at them as? :)

I don't want to say to much as it will end in a row but I wouldn't go to as a client or employ people without a level 2 or 3. I just can't take people who haven't done the proper qualifications seriously. It's really hard work as previously said and what's the point of the college qualification if people can do short courses and be the same and charge the same. All wrong in IMO. Sorry if that offends anyone. X

hi, just wondering what qualifications make you a beauty therapist, i did my training many moons ago and it was city and guilds, does doing separate courses (like at alan howards) make you a qualified beauty therapist..just a discussion between me and my friend

NVQ's, Diplomas. Full year courses not these 2day courses because most people can just pay and do that but it doesn't make them a therapist as they don't have the experience of doing it for a year in a college or beauty school and most employers only employ recognized qualifications like NVQ's

Completely disagree; Before I trained in beauty I was an NVQ technical trainer (health & fitness), delivering A&P to level 2 students, I was qualified to Level 3. I have absolutely no confidence in NVQ and do not think they are worth the paper they are written on! ( was also internal & external verifier) so have lots of knowledge. I chose alternative courses because of my experience with NVQ, most of NVQ students are younger with their courses being funded so level of commitment is not same as someone who has paid for their training, I did not want the disruption of these learners to hinder my learning experience so researched various training providers and chose the most professional and reputable companies (with the help of you geeks on this site)! And also use the most reputable/quality products! I question how much A&P, is retained if you are not required to remember it, such as, actually teaching it on a daily basis. I consider myself a qualified beauty technician even though I have not gone down NVQ route, I think a person should be judged upon their continuous professional development, you could have done your NVQ many moons ago, and nothing else thereafter!

Completely disagree; Before I trained in beauty I was an NVQ technical trainer (health & fitness), delivering A&P to level 2 students, I was qualified to Level 3. I have absolutely no confidence in NVQ and do not think they are worth the paper they are written on! ( was also internal & external verifier) so have lots of knowledge. I chose alternative courses because of my experience with NVQ, most of NVQ students are younger with their courses being funded so level of commitment is not same as someone who has paid for their training, I did not want the disruption of these learners to hinder my learning experience so researched various training providers and chose the most professional and reputable companies (with the help of you geeks on this site)! And also use the most reputable/quality products! I question how much A&P, is retained if you are not required to remember it, such as, actually teaching it on a daily basis. I consider myself a qualified beauty technician even though I have not gone down NVQ route, I think a person should be judged upon their continuous professional development, you could have done your NVQ many moons ago, and nothing else thereafter!

I completely agree. I don't believe the nvq makes you a better technician at all, I believe it's the amount of work, effort, research and passion you put in. I now have clients that dropped out of their nvq course because they didn't have the passion or put in the effort or they say they didn't feel the course was competent whereas I researched each course I did and worked hard to get the best from it, I did hundreds of practice nails/tans etc until I was happy and I researched everything I bought/ studied and got loads of advice and tips from here etc and I am proud of my work and have always considered myself a beauty therapist. In fact I have given advice on here and been asked about techniques and how to achieve nail art etc which made my day =) I hold all qualifications you would gain from a beauty therapy nvq level 2 and a few extras!

This is such a difficult one. Personally, just to throw something else into the mix, I was taught that a beautician works on a makeup or Skincare counter in a department store, and a beauty therapist provides treatments.

I personally feel that short courses aren't worth the paper they're written on, and encourage anyone who asks me to commit to the longest and most comprehensive course they can. I know some of you feel NVQ stands for "not very qualified" (!), but I studied NVQ 2&3 and can say that I was motivated, keen to learn, and feel I got an excellent education so please don't tar all NVQ students with the same brush!

I do feel there are some things that can easily be learn on a short course, but others cannot. In my day job I teach electrical facials and microdermabrasion for an equipment manufacturer. We only sell to people who have a qualification in electrical facial treatments. Unfortunately, because of the way things are going, people want to get into the industry quickly ad start making money immediately, so they find a 2 day course with no entry requirements, and come out of it fully insurable with a certificate. I'm sorry bit it's not possible to understand th science involved and the dangers involved in 2 days. So they come to me for their refresher training and it all becomes apparent that they haven't understood anything (or haven't even been taught it), and I have to start from scratch.

IT REALLY MAKES ME ANGRY!!!! So no, I don't feel one day courses are the best way to make anyone a professional therapist!! Sorry for the rant but I'm so sick of undoing other trainers bad teaching, and teaching the basics to "therapists" who are technically qualified. Suck it up, and go and find a course that will teach you properly.

Just because its not nvq doesn't mean I'm less qualified. I did my waxing training with Kim lawless, she's one of the best and I'm alway complimented one my technique. It's about practice and research. Some teachers are terrible at teaching or just don't care ands its up to the student to study and work at it. I would say I studied each subject and skill for the same amount of time as if I had done an nvq but I got more hands on experience and studied through books I bought and by asking questions on here. In fact my clients are often surprised by how much I know and love it when I can fully answer their questions and explain things to them when 'their old nail/brow/wax/tan girl' had no idea. I'm proud of how hard I've worked for my training and I don't think it's right some people think I'm not a proper therapist just because I don't have the nvq as I most certainly have the equivalent to a level 2 and more =)

Personally it doesn't matter what your basic qualifications are. Collage or short basic courses, it's what you do after that. You expand your skills and knowledge base and hands on experience to be the best that you can be.

Beautician is something from the 50's! when clients call me a beautician I wave my hands and say yes I'm good but I'm not Paul Daniels these hands aren't magic :) I'm a beauty therapist I never stop learning. Be proud of our craft and support each other and encourage good quality learning.

If your interested I did NVQ 2/3 electrical 3yrs salon experience 3 yrs running my own business. And countless advanced courses.

Yeah I have to agree with many other views on this, a 'Beautician' is somebody who has done just day courses or a couple of weeks training and does superficial things like somebody mentioned earlier.

And a 'Beauty Therapist' is somebody who has done their level 2&3 gone and studied for two years done all aspects of beauty both practical and anatomy etc.

Most people that know of this and by slip of younger call them 'beautician' get really mad or so I have found anyway.

Well if you're happy that's all that matters but I have to write what I think for other people reading this. Sorry. I know you can't get a job where I am without doing the NVQ. People need to be aware of that.

Well if you're happy that's all that matters but I have to write what I think for other people reading this. Sorry. I know you can't get a job where I am without doing the NVQ. People need to be aware of that.

Yes I grew doesn't matter how many short courses you do at the end of the day the piece of paper that says NVQ on with your name it's the one that counts. Many jobs wit take people on unless they have NVQ qualifications. Because its covered by everything.

Yes I grew doesn't matter how many short courses you do at the end of the day the piece of paper that says NVQ on with your name it's the one that counts. Many jobs wit take people on unless they have NVQ qualifications. Because its covered by everything.

Know not grew : S

Lol

I'm not sure the method of training necessarily tells how GOOD a therapist is at performing treatments. However it does tell certain other things:

I have taught on NVQ, VRQ, VTCT, HND and Nat Dip courses, and I can tell you that these have a rigorous quality tracking process. They also have standardisation set at a national level. These things are simply not true of a one day course studied at a beauty wholesale shop - this is not a matter of debate, it is simply FACT.

When employing somebody you have an idea of the kind of training they have had through the NVQ system. Of course quality varies between colleges, lecturers etc., but you would have an idea of how long they had studied for, what was covered etc.

Employing somebody whose entire training consisted of short courses I would consider a risk. You have no way of knowing anything about the type of training they have had, I think we all know, just because it is accredited by an insurance company is no guarantee of anything.

The whole thing needs looked at, in my opinion. Greedy trainers willing to pass anybody who has the cash, greedy insurance companies who accredit training without giving a stuff how good it actually is, and the rest of us who pick up the pieces with butchered clients on a daily basis. Not to mention the poor people who are conned out of their money with the promise of being a 'therapist', wax one leg below the knee and away you go, here's your certificate!

These are of course only my opinions, I KNOW there are good trainers out there, providing an excellent service, and giving amazing training. However, the majority of short courses offered are substandard, unfortunately.

I've said it before, and I will say it again, if we do not work together to tighten this area up, raise standards, and try to stamp out this substandard and exploitative training, it will be taken out of our hands.

We will end up with a system of state regulation, as per the USA, and BELIEVE me, anyone with less than a nationally standardised qualification then will not have a look in at getting a license.

Rant over. That was quite a lot for a Tuesday morning!!

J

To play devils advocate here, does it matter if you call yourself a beauty therapist or beautician? Most clients dont get it anyway....ive been called a masseuse and a waxing lady before lol.

When looking to train in something i always seek a qualification such as vtct or city and guilds because once youve got it its yours for life and then you can do training with a product brand after that. So for example, you could do vtct waxing and then look at training with lycon or do vtct tanning and then go with siennax training. Get a recognised qualification and then take it further with a brand. Cpd and all that :)

I think it's more to do with the passage of time..

In the 50's, 60's and 70's there were 'beauticians'...I suspect that the only treatment available were nails, make-up, waxing, facials. :wink2:

Times have changed and a whole range of other skills are now taught like massage, aromatherapy... so I think the modern job title is 'Beauty therapist'

I bit like secretary's have become PA's

This is such a difficult one. Personally, just to throw something else into the mix, I was taught that a beautician works on a makeup or Skincare counter in a department store, and a beauty therapist provides treatments.

I personally feel that short courses aren't worth the paper they're written on, and encourage anyone who asks me to commit to the longest and most comprehensive course they can. I know some of you feel NVQ stands for "not very qualified" (!), but I studied NVQ 2&3 and can say that I was motivated, keen to learn, and feel I got an excellent education so please don't tar all NVQ students with the same brush!

I do feel there are some things that can easily be learn on a short course, but others cannot. In my day job I teach electrical facials and microdermabrasion for an equipment manufacturer. We only sell to people who have a qualification in electrical facial treatments. Unfortunately, because of the way things are going, people want to get into the industry quickly ad start making money immediately, so they find a 2 day course with no entry requirements, and come out of it fully insurable with a certificate. I'm sorry bit it's not possible to understand th science involved and the dangers involved in 2 days. So they come to me for their refresher training and it all becomes apparent that they haven't understood anything (or haven't even been taught it), and I have to start from scratch.

IT REALLY MAKES ME ANGRY!!!! So no, I don't feel one day courses are the best way to make anyone a professional therapist!! Sorry for the rant but I'm so sick of undoing other trainers bad teaching, and teaching the basics to "therapists" who are technically qualified. Suck it up, and go and find a course that will teach you properly.

Totally agree with this whole statement I didn't just go and study for 2 years to be branded someone who hasn't got passion in beauty and can't be bothered , I done my level 2 and because of this started working in a spa on the day I qualified haven't had one complaint since I have worked there then went on to level 3 and now I am opening my own buisness with the qualifications and experience I have gained and I am so proud of myself! So much the spa doesn't want me to leave so that to me shows An NVQ does help if I were to have done these silly short courses I wouldn't have it the job in the spa and I certainly wouldn't have gained the experience from working in the spa x

Also I think that the short courses are really designed for people with a qualification that want to expand their range for example you learn massage ect in level 3 but not Hopi which is what u can do on an extra course you learn man and ped in level 2 so then you can go on a short course to do gels x

I trained in city & guilds beauty therapy. It was very detailed and the tutors were very strict in the learning. I went to art classes, first aid, science anatomy, massage was taught by a physiotherapist. I felt when I left full of confidence and had done treatments so many times during salon days..................I would call myself a beauty therapist. I then went onto do extra courses but the knowledge from before always benefited me.

I am sad to say that have employed beauty therapists before that have done training and left college with not a clue :(.......I was amazed at how clueless some were. Is that poor training?? It made me disappointed as I knew how intense mine was. I thank my tutors to this day for their training

I really think the nvq argument is a little ridiculous. What we are talking about here go's beyond that. Many people undertake nvq2/3 a and p as part if other courses so there is no nees for them to to study this again on the beauty hence why they opt for shorter courses. The difficulty arises when people with no formal a and p qualification or experience are allowed to undertake short courses and pracyice immediately. ..its here that the beauty industry let's the public down :) like ive said in my earlier posts, I personally didnt find the nvq3 a and p very useful as it in no way treats the jody as a whole system, but still it is useful as a minimum requirement I guess :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back