Beauty therapist qualifications?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybeartalons

Reaction score
hi, just wondering what qualifications make you a beauty therapist, i did my training many moons ago and it was city and guilds, does doing separate courses (like at alan howards) make you a qualified beauty therapist..just a discussion between me and my friend

I would also like to know! I have done separate diploma/ certificate/ city and guild courses for Manicure, acrylics, gels, spray tans, pedicures, waxing, lashes, make up, facials and tinting. Am I a beauty therapist? That's what it says on my marketing materials lol am I lying to people?

You may be opening a can of worms asking that on this forum but…

If you’re self-employed then all you need is a qualification for the service you will be offering that your insurer is happy to cover you with. If you’re looking for employment with some beauty salons they may require level 2 or 3 NVQs (think this may be a legal requirement in some cities regardless of who you work for).

I would avise you to do a nvq l2 &3 it covers all expects of beauty! I'm currently on the end if my 3rd year! Don't waste your money on little courses

I've been self employed and mobile for about 2 years with no problems I just wanted to know if it was ok to use this as my job title =) I really wanted to do nvq full course but by the time I realised that's what I wanted to do I was over school age and couldn't afford to pay. I researched all my courses thoroughly and am happy with all my qualifications but would prefer a n nvq purely because its more widely recognised. Am I stil a beauty therapist or is there another category? X

IMO a beauty therapist is someone who is qualified in all aspects of beauty therapy i.e. NVQ level 2 and 3. I may be wrong but if I employ that would be the minimum qualification they would need.

I was lead to believe please don't shoot me :) a beauty therapist is someone who has done nvq itec etc because of all the antamony and theory. Someone who has done short course etc is a beautican x

Yes I've always been confused and have to tried to look into it but there is always conflicting answers. All the googled definitions say things like

Beauty Therapist

noun

a person whose job is to carry out treatments to improve a person's appearance, such as facials, manicures, removal of unwanted hair, etc

Ive heard some on Salon Geek say this while others say you need an nvq etc. I've always considered myself a beauty therapist but always nice to have it explained =)

Wow this is an interesting debate. I did nvq 3 anatomy and physiology as part of my aromatherapy training, however, I did individual courses for my treatments: acrylics, waxing etc...am I a Beautician or a Beauty Therapist? :confused:

I was lead to believe please don't shoot me :) a beauty therapist is someone who has done nvq itec etc because of all the antamony and theory. Someone who has done short course etc is a beautican x

That is what i have been taught also when i was at college by the head tutors.

My understanding is that a beautician carries out superficial cosmetic treatments such as tinting and waxing, whereas a beauty therapist also does body treatments and more advanced things like epilation.

J

whereas a beauty therapist also does body treatments and more advanced things like epilation.

J

this is an interesting one as epilation has actually been removed from the course syllabus for my level 3 next year. In it's place we will be doing hot stone massage and thus the only electrical thing we will cover is electrical facials. I won't be thinking of myself as any less of a therapist though as I genuinely don't think epilation would be something I will be using a lot.

I was told by my tutor at college that level 2 = Beautician and level 3 = Beauty therapist.
I personally don't look at people who have been on short courses as either.

I was told by my tutor at college that level 2 = Beautician and level 3 = Beauty therapist.
I personally don't look at people who have been on short courses as either.
Hmmm thats pretty elitist.....so what do you look at them as? :)

I would say you were a beautician if you have studied short courses I wouldn't class you as a therapist , as you do learn alot of anatomy and physiology in NVQ , there wouldn't be an NVQ otherwise and there would be no point , but I think the short courses are for people who just want to do certain things without having to do the NVQ and also for people who want to expand their knowledge x

Also I don't think it's being elitist , I think it's just because when you study an NVQ level 2 and 3 it's such hard work , it's alot more in depth and harder than the short course you go on , so you would want to be classed higher up otherwise there is no point in doing an NVQ and doing all that hard work xx

So what about those like me, who did a and p nvq3 separately? And besides, Im a qualified Osteopath I just assumed that 5 years of in-depth a and p warranted me skipping the little bit studied on the nvq beauty? :)

The trouble is , level 2 and 3 are completely different courses , level 2 is more beauty and level 3 is more massage , I would say you are a therapist as level 3 is more therapy type work , I think it depends on what you have done fully if u know what I mean? If u have done level 2 & 3 you are a therapist if you have only done 2 beautician but I think in the beauty world you are more experienced with a level 2 and 3 NVQ as you learn more in an NVQ than a short course xx

TBF I really believe that this is where the beauty industry has got it wrong. The nvq 3 a and p is not enough imo, to warrant someone carrying out sometimes invasive procedures in the name of beauty, yet we allow it and actually ovelook some 'Beauty Therapists/Beauticians' who have higher qualifications, skills and experience merely because they learned basic techniques on short courses :)

I know a dentist and 2 nurses who chose to change careers and came into the beauty industry and frankly, yes, I trust that they know their a and p :)

I'm not sure when you done your level 3 a & p but I have literally just done mine , and from what I had to learn I may as well be a doctor , so that's how I know it is very difficult at the moment , I also work at a spa and recently had a girl come in who had only done short courses and she only knows the basic things because you only get taught the very basics you don't go in depth like you do in a NVQ but I do think you are one step ahead with an NVQ and then the rest is just experience the more experience you gain as a therapist
The better you become x
the b

Latest posts

Back