Beauty Therapist sharing clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leely

Reaction score
Does this happen in your salon?

Would the Beauty Therapist give the other a % of the treatment price if they were to change Beauty Therapist.

Or would they change and then become their client? With no % of takings.

Hope that makes sense.

Leely x

Does this happen in your salon?

Would the Beauty Therapist give the other a % of the treatment price if they were to change Beauty Therapist.

Or would they change and then become their client? With no % of takings.

Hope that makes sense.

Leely x

Dunno- but I'm thinking of doing it so I'm following this thread with interest

No the client just changes therapists. I would hope that we all work for the good of the salon.

Are you talking about self employed therapists? I don't know why you would pass a percentage on if a therapist can't keep their own clients or am I missing something???
Please explain if I am

Vicki x
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

No the client just changes therapists. I would hope that we all work for the good of the salon.

Are you talking about self employed therapists? I don't know why you would pass a percentage on if a therapist can't keep their own clients or am I missing something???
Please explain if I am

Vicki x
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am due to start in a salon within the next few weeks and there is already a beauty therapist there.
The beauty therapist already at the salon is employed and I will be self employed and I will be paying rent on the room I use.
The salon owner has asked that if a client wants to swap beauty therapist that either of us will take 20% of the treatment price. I'm unsure on this part of the agreement, as I will be paying rent on the room then having to give the salon 20% of that treatment.

Leely x

I don't understand.....maybe it's a bit early for me.

Surely if the other therapist is an employee then all of the payments for her treatments on all the clients goes to the salon.
Any payments you receive for treatments carried out you pay a percentage to the salon.

Or is the issue here on who the clients belong to, and that would be best clarified before you start there.

I don't understand.....maybe it's a bit early for me.

Surely if the other therapist is an employee then all of the payments for her treatments on all the clients goes to the salon.**correct**
Any payments you receive for treatments carried out you pay a percentage to the salon.**correct**

Or is the issue here on who the clients belong to, and that would be best clarified before you start there.

The manager has said that if a client is the current beauty therapist and decides they want me to carry out the treatment I will have to pay 20% to the other beauty therapist, and vice versa.

Like you have said I will already be paying % of every treatment to the salon as I will be renting the room from them.

I needed another set of eyes to look this over as I'm unsure if they are asking too much or not.

The current beauty therapist works 3 days a week and does not work at the weekend, I on the other hand will be working 4 days a week, 5 when I do not have college. x

Leely x

Hi I don't rent out space but that doesn't sit right with me. If you're paying a % and then an extra 20% on top basically you're giving away almost all of your service cost apart from products and maybe a little bit for you.
If the other BT is employed the client doesn't belong to her anyway but to the salon so you would be paying the salon I suppose. Would the BT be paying you? Or would it come from the salon? Nobody really "owns" clients. They are a fickle bunch and are free to go where ever they choose. All we can do is try to keep them with us. If I'm honest it sounds to me like the salon owner needs the income from you to keep her salon going and may already be struggling for clients. I personally don't like that idea and would be thinking very carefully about what the implications are of agreeing to this. Always get a contract and please seek legal advice before signing it. Protect yourself xx

I wouldn't be happy with this. By having an extra therapist, whether employed or self employed, you immediately give your clients options, and allow flexibility. I think a 'chargeback' would make for a divisive atmosphere.

Vicki x

The salon would pay me 20% of the treatment cost if "my" client went to the employed BT.
The salon is undergoing a lot of changes, from a new manager, a name change and salon being redecorated etc. They do more clients as there is only 2 hairdressers. 1 which is full time and 1 which is part time. They are looking for full time hairdressers as well as part time.
The previous owner who is a BT asked her brother (the new owner) to get in touch with me and ask if I would rent a room from them. She had looked on my website / Facebook page etc. the previous owner has sold the business to her brother due to health problems x

Leely x

I agree- it sounds dodgy and as you are working more days then the chances of you doing her clients is greater therefore losing time for your own clients and still having to pay her for doing them! It sounds like you are unknowingly working for them basically as well as trying to run your own business?!

I don't think this sounds right???! I don't understand why they have one therapist employed and another self employed?! I don't think I would even be interested in taking someone else's clients even if the other therapist is happy with the arrangement. Is the therapist too busy is that why they have you in? If so if she has no prior commitments why can't she just extend her hours to accommodate people more. If I was you I would just stick to bringing in your own clientele and then only giving the owner money for the room.... I think it would get a little too complicated and certainly very unprofessional for 2 therapists to be asking a client 'who do u wanna go with' I feel the client will instantly think the other therapist doesn't like them and is wanting rid... But that's my opinion.

Clients can go to who they want. It doesn't make any sense.
What if it's a new client who doesn't mind who she has. She has the other therapist. Next appointment she has you. You have to give other therapist 20% for doing what? Not making a good enough impression on the client haha.

Also why would you need to pay her 20% and she pay you 20% whenever this happens. Seems like a lot of swapping money for no reason.

Talk to the owner and point this out I've never heard anything like it, it's a strange thing to do.

Laura xx

Thank you for all your feedback :)

The owner has emailed me with this request, and I am going into the salon to meet the other staff tomorrow to see how we all get on. So will address this with him.

The current BT has stated she does not want to work more hours as she has a child. Which is fair enough, I have 2 children which are younger than her child and I will be working more hours, plus I am going back to college in Jan.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow x

Leely x

Went and met with manager today at the salon and met other members if staff. All seemed lovely.

The manager advised the 20% was just an idea. I said I was unhappy with this as it would cause friction between me and other BT and I would not want to do her clients if I was having to pay the other BT. He seems adamant that this should go ahead, advised I'm not happy with this and have never heard of this before.
The manager asked about new clients and I said I thought it was only fair to share them.

The hairdressers asked if I would be helping them out? I asked what they meant they said neither of them liked washing hair and had the current BT do all their clients. I'm all for team working and helping each other out but suffer with eczema and think this is their job. I wouldn't ask them to do a file on a client while I do the paint lol.

He wants to meet my husband and check he is happy with our arrangement. Still a lot to think over before I sign a contract on the room rental x

Leely x

Lol ... If your self employed why would the hairdressers think you are going to do half of their work (washing their clients hair / just because they don't like it - never heard anything so mad ... Lol)
I'm all for helping others but they're taking the mick ...!!!
Surely you'll be busy with your own beauty clients ... !!!

Xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Might be me, but this seems really confusing.
I know you want to work somewhere, but personally, I wouldn't want to rent a space or be self employed by someone who already has someone there doing the same as I would be. Conflict of interest screams very loudly!

If there are beauty therapists in the salon, then all should either be self employed, or employed, not both. (To me)

Last edited:
Might be be, but this seems really confusing.
I know you want to work somewhere, but personally, I wouldn't want to rent a space or be self employed by someone who already has someone there doing the same as I would be.

If there are beauty therapists, then all should either be self employed, or employed, not both. (To me)

To be honest.... I agree- I wouldn't like a mixture of employed and self employed- not only does it create grey areas when it comes to clients and hours and money but it could create unrest within the team. I would run a mile!

To be honest.... I agree- I wouldn't like a mixture of employed and self employed- not only does it create grey areas when it comes to clients and hours and money but it could create unrest within the team. I would run a mile!

Totally agree. I think sometimes £ signs make people think unclearly, then some honest soul has to suffer for it!

So basically your paying them to be a junior!!! And they don't have to pay you a penny, you probably wont make a living at all, between paying rent and 20 per cent all sound like complete madness. Owner wants best of both worlds and not even considering that you have to make a living, before you know it youll be making all the teas and getting the lunches as well.. I would stay well clear.. xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for all you advice and feedback.

If I were to go ahead with this rental, then I will not agree to this 20% for current clients and I wouldn't be washing any hair.

Thank you again :)

Leely x

Latest posts

Back