Bed or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB9

Reaction score
Hi All,

My girl is soon to open her first salon (liverpool ways) having worked as a therapist for the past 5 years. The salon is currently undergoing building work and we came to loggerheads this morning in the presence of the builder :rolleyes:...

There will be two beauty rooms, two nail bars, and a room for the spray tan booth. There is an option to erect one more smaller room (though admittedly this would make the salons interoior a bit cramped) which i thought would be a good idea for a sunshower, as there are only two other salons in the area, one has them and the other doesnt.

My argument is that a sunshower would attract a specific customer base, which once through the door is another client for the database and may lead to future treatments. Her argument is that it is another ongoing expense, her current salons beds run at a loss, 3 phase electrics would need installing, and that it could always be built and installed at a later date.

Could i have peoples thoughts on this, especially if your running a salon and have come across the same scenario.

Please dont tell me how bad they are to ones health, i know all this and i know people out of principal wouldn't offer this kind of service as it is doing more bad than good. The way i look at it, if someone wants a bed, they'll go elsewhere.

Cheers peeps

Last edited:
I have a vertical sunbed in my salon,
last year i had people queuing out of the door to use it but this year it has only been used about 20 times,
with all the media hype at the moment on how bad they are for people i don't think it would be a good investment,
i have far more clients in for spray tans than i do the use of the sun bed hth

the hairdressers that I rent from has a vertical sunbed thingy and it is used sporodically throughout the week.

Its not a big money earner and she says when I take off and get busier she will probably get a toilet put in their instead.

I think you should listen to your girlfriend, and she is the one who has worked in the industry for past 5 years.

You state it has room for expansion at a later date, I agree with her, its always something you can do at a later date.

Latest posts

Back