Been too trusting need help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beas nails

Reaction score
I have done something silly and now am not sure what to do. I have been doing a clients nails (since i started) for nearly a year every 3 weeks, we really get along and it's always a laugh when we get together. Several times she has invited me out with her and het friends but due to my kiddies I've been unable to go. Last time she came round she desperately needed more cuticle oil but didn't have the money on her (think u no where this is going) so as she is a regular I said she could pay me next time but made it clear I needed the £ ASAP the amount was £10.99. I messaged her to remind her about her Most recent appointment. She messaged back 3 hours b4 the appointment that she couldn't make It and understood as it was less than 24hrs notice she had to pay half the appointment cost as well as the oil, she was her normal chatty self and seemed very understanding. I messaged back saying that was correct and when would she be able to drop the money? I didn't hear anything so messaged her again saying I really did need the money and when would She be about. Still nothing back! I'm so hurt n feel so stupid and trusting. This was two days ago now, what would you do/say next. All our messages r on facebook which shes on a lot? Shall I txt her or try and call? I genuinely thought she would pay I've never had any problems with her and like I said really got along? Please help! Has anyone else done something similar and how did u deal with it?

You had no reason to doubt her Hun. It could be genuine, drop her a breezey text saying not sure if you got my nessage as I've not had a response, can you let me know when yiu can drop the money owed off and re book your appt, thanks xxx

Xxx

I made the mistake of letting a girl I trusted drop in the extra £20 for her treatment about 4 months ago and I'm still waiting. She texted the next day to say she'd drop it in but nothing so I messaged her again and was ignored. I hope the girl brings it back to you but don't be too surprised if she doesn't. You live and learn! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you just need to wait and see. She has been a regular for about a year, which means she values your work, and she'd have to find a new nail tech too if she didn't pay. Have a little patience.

Not that this is an excuse but maybe she just doesn't have the money to spare at the moment and is embarrassed about it. Perhaps just wait a few weeks and see what transpires. She is obviously a valued client and has been very loyal to you.
Learn from your mistakes and tell clients who ask from now on that you don't do credit but are happy to hold product for them for a few days.

Good luck, I hope it works out for the best.

Lesson learned here.

Never give away product or services for free, we are in business just as much as the local supermarket is, if a person can't afford to pay for milk and bread they wouldn't just walk into supermarket and say I'll pay you later"
A regular client can become a non regular client with in weeks, it's not worth the risk unless you can afford to cut your losses.
She might turn up, she might not, either way, learn from this and ensure the same mistake never happens again no matter who the client is.

This is also a great chance for you to do up your salon policies and include payments and make it very clear that no credit will ever be given and what your expectations are and just remember, the client expects their nails done don't they? So you expect to be paid for doing their nails....fair deal:) so don't feel bad about needing and wanting your money, just do something pro-active to ensure this doesn't happen again and you will be a better business owner for it:)

I think as she was the one who pointed out that she would need to pay half & pay for the oil she's likely to pay. Clients don't usually point out expenses if they don't want to pay them! I understand your point (I'm in the same situation) but I wouldn't contact her too much or if you do be polite with it - if she is genuine then you don't want to damage the customer relationship by implying you don't trust her. :) xxx

Give her a few days. If it was me in this boat I'd be annoyed and upset too but you just have to think - there must have been a reason she couldn't come to her next appointment and maybe thats the reason she hasn't given you money yet?
She could have possibly realised that shes a bit short this money or maybe something happened that requires money and shes embarrassed?
Either way we learn from our mistakes, don't we! I hope you hear back from her x

If I were you I would just wait and see. I wouldn't send any more messages or reminders as I think she's got the message by now. She is quite likely just short of money at this time of year and is embarrassed to admit it, knowing that she owes you for the Solar Oil. She sounds like a good, loyal Client up until now and I am sure she will be back, at which point you can add on the value of the outstanding oil to her treatment. Alternatively, if she's that good a Client and rebooks in the near future, I would be tempted to gift the outstanding oil as a Christmas gift for her loyalty to you. On the plus side - at least she uses it!!!!!!

Defiantly lesson learnt! It's so annoying as I really need that money due to Xmas etc! I dropped her a quick txt but still heard nothing so will just have to wait and c. If she's not replying cos she doesn't have the money right now I still think its really rude as if I was her her shoes I would let the person know I didn't have it but could pay the on ... Whatever day. It frustrating as I know she's a real phone person and always messages back straight away. Ah we'll ill just have to c! If I've not heard back in a few weeks what shall I do? Thank you so much for all your replies and help xx

With it being nearly Christmas, why don't you send her a message and say 'next time your in town, pop in as I have your Christmas card here for you, hope you're okay and look forward to seeing you'. That way it's light and breezy, obviously make sure you do have a card for her though. Then she'll maybe think there's no hard feelings and call in, then when she does, ask her when she wants to book in for and add onto the end 'oh by the way do you have the money for the oil from last time? I don't think we've seen each other since'.
That way you should be able to get your point across in a polite way. But if you don't hear/see anything of her, learn a lesson and make changes going forward. Good luck!

Do you have her address on her client record card? I'd send her an invoice if she hasn't contacted you when she'd be due back for nails again! X

Draw up an invoice asking for payment within the next 7 days and post it to her recorded delivery (the recorded delivery signature is then proof she recieved the invoice should further steps be required & don't forget to keep a copy of what you send her).

Thank you again for your replies. Like the invoice idea as I want to prove I am a business not someone u can just ignore and not pay if that makes sense?! Never going through this again! Sorry asking more 'what ifs' but if if not
Heard back in the 7 days what would my next step be? If I'm going down this route want to no everything I can before getting the ball rolling xx

Honestly, my thought is that it was a lesson you learned, and the expense could have been worse (at least she didn't have an entire set/manicure or other services done and not pay!).
give her the chance to do right thing. If she doesn't you write it off and don't let it happen again.

Many might also think in this season she's just short on money. If she comes back for services you let her come in (I'm kind of sneaky, i wouldn't remind her when she books... I'd wait til she is in front of me with money for the service!) Then I'd say "you still owe me for the oil and broken appointment, i'd like to settle that before we do today's services.
what's the worst that happens? She turns around and walks out without paying anything and then you're in no worse shape than you are at this moment.

Good luck! don't forget to amend your policies so you have something to stand by if someone else ever asks

It's only been 2 days! I did a gift voucher for one of the mums at my kids school and she kept forgetting to bring the money in which was for £20, got it 2 weeks later. Give her a few more days then give her a call and see if she's ok as you haven't heard from her in a while then gently remind her about the outstanding money

I will wait till after Xmas if I was going to do anything. Think I'm more hurt than anything. Even if she said she couldn't pay until after Christmas I could understand. Doesn't help that like I said earlier she always replies straight away so know she is ignoring me. Grrr it's just annoying and has wound me up! Stress of Xmas taking over!

Latest posts

Back