Beginner problems with nails lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan5214_

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm currently using The Edge acrylic system but as I'm a beginner I've only being practicing on friends and family who are mostly all saying that after a few days after application there is lifting on 1or 2 nails.

I have tried being more thorough and taking more time on my prep to rectify this. I have also tried switching out using The Edges own dehydrator for acetone to dehydrate the nails but nothing seems to be working and I'm still running into the same problem.

Does anyone have experience using The Edge acrylic system and could shed some light? Should I maybe switch to CJP or NSI as I've heard nothing but good reviews about them

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I'm currently using The Edge acrylic system but as I'm a beginner I've only being practicing on friends and family who are mostly all saying that after a few days after application there is lifting on 1or 2 nails.

I have tried being more thorough and taking more time on my prep to rectify this. I have also tried switching out using The Edges own dehydrator for acetone to dehydrate the nails but nothing seems to be working and I'm still running into the same problem.

Does anyone have experience using The Edge acrylic system and could shed some light? Should I maybe switch to CJP or NSI as I've heard nothing but good reviews about them

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Salon Geek.

I know you’ve said above that you’re a beginner, but have you actually undertaken any formal training or courses?

Meantime, until you understand the reasons behind the lifting, there’s little point in simply switching systems hoping to combat it.

Welcome to Salon Geek.

I know you’ve said above that you’re a beginner, but have you actually undertaken any formal training or courses?

Meantime, until you understand the reasons behind the lifting, there’s little point in simply switching systems hoping to combat it.

To be truthfully honest I have not. I plan to when training academy's are open again but due to lockdown it's not been possible. I have done a lot of research before I started on actual people so I wasn't damaging anyone's nails haha!

To be truthfully honest I have not. I plan to when training academy's are open again but due to lockdown it's not been possible. I have done a lot of research before I started on actual people so I wasn't damaging anyone's nails haha!

Please be patient a while longer, until such time that you can begin training.

Experimenting with chemicals, solutions and methods you’re unfamiliar with can actually cause long term damage, and so obviously you should not be offering nail services to others at this point, especially without accredited certification or insurance.

Unfortunately, researching from online videos and tutorials will not teach you all you need to know, and you will pick up bad habits along the way if you’re not careful.

I’m not sure how long it will be until the Scottish government ease restrictions concerning nails and beauty, but hopefully soon so that you can begin your nail tech journey the right way.

Hope that helps and good luck :)

Nsi Glasgow have great nail courses. If you’re looking for one then follow their social media pages as they’re regularly updated and should be open soon for training. I’ve done 2 of their courses and highly recommend them. They also have a great shop and are very happy to give any advice

Nsi Glasgow have great nail courses. If you’re looking for one then follow their social media pages as they’re regularly updated and should be open soon for training. I’ve done 2 of their courses and highly recommend them. They also have a great shop and are very happy to give any advice

I second that. I've dome all my training with them and they are great and very helpful

I second that. I've dome all my training with them and they are great and very helpful

Thanks ladies, I'm definitely planning on getting formal training when I'm able to. Just in the mean time I wish I could understand why the nails are lifting in such a short amount of time after application

Thanks ladies, I'm definitely planning on getting formal training when I'm able to. Just in the mean time I wish I could understand why the nails are lifting in such a short amount of time after application

As Noodle stated, it’s best you don’t use the products until you’ve started your training.

As Noodle stated, it’s best you don’t use the products until you’ve started your training.

Well I'm 15 or so sets in now so I'm a bit late for that haha!

Won't be a joke if an allergy develops. During the last years, so many students at nail schools reported allergies. It's almost certainly because they were hobbyists before.

I am a bit concerned that you're not hearing Noodle's (and others') point and that you're still fixated on figuring out the lifting problem.

Step away from the acrylic. Put down your brushes. Do not do any more "practicing" on people until you've had at least basic training in this. Seriously, you should not use this stuff on people until you've been trained. It is dangerous to them and to you. Instead, focus your attention on other aspects of building your business as a nail tech. Research and develop a business plan. Look for opportunities to apprentice. Research different brands. Read journal articles on the health and safety issues that are going to be so important in the days to come.

Last edited:
this is why you need to do some training.
I understand it may not be possible right now but as BobSweden stated, imagine if you cause allergies on people! Which could be highly likely.
You might think we are being harsh but those of us who are professionally trained have been there, done that and are experienced. Please listen to what has been said and take it on board.
This is not a forum to train people who have no other formal training, this is what a training course from reputable places are for.
I agree with NancySyd - step away.
You are 'dabbling' with chemicals and potentially putting these people in harms way.
I was a hobbyist before I trained. But NEVER did I work on anyone but myself. And YES I developed allergies which have caused me a lot of pain and suffering over the years. I trained to better educate myself because of this. It was THAT important to me.

this is why you need to do some training.
I understand it may not be possible right now but as BobSweden stated, imagine if you cause allergies on people! Which could be highly likely.
You might think we are being harsh but those of us who are professionally trained have been there, done that and are experienced. Please listen to what has been said and take it on board.
This is not a forum to train people who have no other formal training, this is what a training course from reputable places are for.
I agree with NancySyd - step away.
You are 'dabbling' with chemicals and potentially putting these people in harms way.
I was a hobbyist before I trained. But NEVER did I work on anyone but myself. And YES I developed allergies which have caused me a lot of pain and suffering over the years. I trained to better educate myself because of this. It was THAT important to me.

I mean I was more looking for advice than training...

Nevermind - I have changed my glue I was using for my tips and my primer and it seems to be working out a lot better

Thank you anyway all!

you don't want to listen to anyone's 'advice', because it was not the information you were hoping for.

you don't want to listen to anyone's 'advice', because it was not the information you were hoping for.

This is very true, thanks girls x

Latest posts

Back