Being pushed to the limit, what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake34

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
So I've been at my job a year and yes I've been in industry for only a year. But where I work is a small hotel spa, 2 therapists and boss. I'm on minimum wage which is standard I guess and at the moment I'm working 6 days a week. I've asked my boss regarding holiday pay and she said she will have to let me know but thinks I'm only entitled to 20 days? And I asked to book a holiday off in September (plenty of notice) and she's now taking the huff and is being funny as that's when she is planning to go away which I had no idea! I have no idea what to do at my job now. I'm doing tasks that are of a senior therapist now and the list of jobs to do whilst being back to back with clients is increasing with her being no where to be seen. I have plenty of regulars and sell products but get no commission and she has basically said she can't let me go too as she is relying on me to run it whilst she is away? I don't know what to do? Do I confront her about it but I'm scared she will say like it or lump it? Apparently this happened to a girl before me and eventually she left as the work load was crazy for the pay she was receiving?
I've been searching for jobs and there is barely anything around that is full time, ultimately I want my own business but at the age of 20 am I being unrealistic here? Just need some advice as I'm ready to cry :(

Hopefully some geeks can offer some more advice but from what I know working in spa's is always minimum wage and rushed off your feet with crazy work stack from morning till night from what I hear.

Hope you get things sorted.

Hi geeks,
So I've been at my job a year and yes I've been in industry for only a year. But where I work is a small hotel spa, 2 therapists and boss. I'm on minimum wage which is standard I guess and at the moment I'm working 6 days a week. I've asked my boss regarding holiday pay and she said she will have to let me know but thinks I'm only entitled to 20 days? And I asked to book a holiday off in September (plenty of notice) and she's now taking the huff and is being funny as that's when she is planning to go away which I had no idea! I have no idea what to do at my job now. I'm doing tasks that are of a senior therapist now and the list of jobs to do whilst being back to back with clients is increasing with her being no where to be seen. I have plenty of regulars and sell products but get no commission and she has basically said she can't let me go too as she is relying on me to run it whilst she is away? I don't know what to do? Do I confront her about it but I'm scared she will say like it or lump it? Apparently this happened to a girl before me and eventually she left as the work load was crazy for the pay she was receiving?
I've been searching for jobs and there is barely anything around that is full time, ultimately I want my own business but at the age of 20 am I being unrealistic here? Just need some advice as I'm ready to cry :(

Oh i really feel for you! i used to work in a spa and personally i would never do it again! worst few years of my life - but i did get some pretty amazing skills and other opportunities there! :rolleyes: have you been there 12 mnths?

do you have a contract?

how many hours are you contracted to?

have you had holidays in the past?

I would phone up AScas in regard to the hoildays - they are really helpful regarding the legal side employment! so gives you a bit of confidence when confronting her!

I would defiantly arrange a meeting about it! does she have a superior? i know its a little scary - but no point in being miserable in your job!

regarding setting up in business.. age doesnt really come into it IMO - what does is business sense, money and experience!

But if you are to scared to confront her regarding your holidays then Id say you werent ready (ment in the nicest of ways ;-) ) as youll have to do things a lot scarier than that he he!!

Oh i really feel for you! i used to work in a spa and personally i would never do it again! worst few years of my life - but i did get some pretty amazing skills and other opportunities there! :rolleyes: have you been there 12 mnths?

do you have a contract?

how many hours are you contracted to?

have you had holidays in the past?

I would phone up AScas in regard to the hoildays - they are really helpful regarding the legal side employment! so gives you a bit of confidence when confronting her!

I would defiantly arrange a meeting about it! does she have a superior? i know its a little scary - but no point in being miserable in your job!

regarding setting up in business.. age doesnt really come into it IMO - what does is business sense, money and experience!

But if you are to scared to confront her regarding your holidays then Id say you werent ready (ment in the nicest of ways ;-) ) as youll have to do things a lot scarier than that he he!!

Ah really? I've been there 10 months just desperately want to stick it out to the 12 month mark, but in the time I've been there we have had 4 girls come and go! This is the thing I've never actually signed a form, I've done my espa training but she is keeping my certificate til next jan which will be a year since training :/ and I'm working at least 5 days a week 8hr days. Just don't know where i stand but worried as I've never signed a bit of paper that I have nothing to stand on and need to be careful with what I say as don't want to be jobless.
I went into the job feeling a bit naive as was my first spa job and to be honest I am a pushover the thing is I got offered onto Steiner as I passed the interview, I keep thinking I wish I had gone but had a lot going on in family and wasn't the time to be away from home :(
Just need to gain my experience and stick it out I suppose and just keep an eye out for vacancies! I'm doing a bit of mobile in the evenings, my boss knows but knows I wouldn't touch her clientele so she seems okay with that, just need to start feeling more positive It could be a lot worse I suppose!

And no she has no superior, she rents the rooms from the hotel so I'm her employee and nothing to actually do with the hotel. She keeps telling me I'll have a review in July where I'll become senior therapist but I'm doing all the jobs for that now with no diff in pay, but I'm just a bit wary that it won't actually happen as another girl before me was told this but then she kept pushing it back so she left :/

Your going to need to have a chat with her. Don't be rude, point out the facts, if she relies on you that much she won't fire you. Ask her for a date of this review, if its too far away ask her to bring it forward as you feel you are ready now. In the mean time start looking for other positions, just incase. Good luck xx

Ah really? I've been there 10 months just desperately want to stick it out to the 12 month mark, but in the time I've been there we have had 4 girls come and go! This is the thing I've never actually signed a form, I've done my espa training but she is keeping my certificate til next jan which will be a year since training :/ and I'm working at least 5 days a week 8hr days. Just don't know where i stand but worried as I've never signed a bit of paper that I have nothing to stand on and need to be careful with what I say as don't want to be jobless.
I went into the job feeling a bit naive as was my first spa job and to be honest I am a pushover the thing is I got offered onto Steiner as I passed the interview, I keep thinking I wish I had gone but had a lot going on in family and wasn't the time to be away from home :(
Just need to gain my experience and stick it out I suppose and just keep an eye out for vacancies! I'm doing a bit of mobile in the evenings, my boss knows but knows I wouldn't touch her clientele so she seems okay with that, just need to start feeling more positive It could be a lot worse I suppose!

Well def phone Acas with the contract advice, I'm not sure of the rules where you stand legally with a verbal contract so give them a call tomorrow , they are really really helpful!

Well we live an learn, that's what it's about! Steiner wasnt right at the time! Dontworry ! Just make sure you sort this problem out ! I was a total pushover in my 20s , ten years (ish) on An I'd give the toughest of them something to worry about lol!!

Honestly, if I where you I'd boost my mobile work up to get the experience and cash, an keep looking for a better place, coz while she is still there it will never get better! I always gauge how god a boss is by how long the staff have been there x x

Thankyou everyone for the advice, definitely will ring up and find out and just keep plodding on but doing my mobile on side and I'll keep an eye out :) just got to think this won't be forever and at least it's giving me some experience

Thankyou everyone for the advice, definitely will ring up and find out and just keep plodding on but doing my mobile on side and I'll keep an eye out :) just got to think this won't be forever and at least it's giving me some experience

Let us knw he you get on, may be helpful for other geeks as well x

First of all, she has no right to hold your certificates. They are not hers, they are yours.

I don't know your legal rights in your area, so you may have to call.

As far as her as a boss you need to sit and talk to her. Have your items listed out and if she tries to speak you say "I need to say all this first so we don't get off topic" then you can discuss the following

1. You are entitled to your vacation (Holiday) time. She you gave her plenty of time and her being boss, if she planned on going and having you in charge she should have some kind of policy or holiday calendar so everyone is aware of it. This is plenty of time. Tell her you will go and have the plans done, there's no changing them for you. State to prevent this in the future, maybe there should be a calendar hung so everyone can mark up their days off so there is no issue. If it is not on the calendar, it is fair game, no saying, "I was going to take that day off"... it isn't listed it isn't taken (and make sure it is not a 'wipe off' calendar, put it in INK.

2. You are doing senior therapist tasks - this means either give a pay raise or a % commission from your sales. If she says NO to this, then state, there is no reason for you to do senior therapist tasks if you are going to get paid as entry level and therefore you will do only the job you've applied/hired for. If this doesn't work for her, then you want to make this a contract and therefore change so you pay your fee for 'booth rental' style and you get paid by clients direct (I'm sure she'd hate that as she makes more off you now)

3. Do yourself a favor and start looking for other jobs. Interview and learn interviewing skills. You don't have to take the job, state you've found something else and thank them for their time and you'll call if it doesn't work out... but on the other note, you'll have something up your sleeve if this boss refuses to give in and do right by you.

Hi,
with no contract signed legally its hard to get anywhere ... You said your full-time - does she pay your NI & Tax ? (Just asking as this may go in your favour when speaking to someone)
For a full time employee usual holiday entitlement is 20 days per yr , - most employers also state in a contract that no more than 4 Saturdays over a yr, only one employee off at the same time.
If she wanted a certain holiday it should be written down in a diary so you can both see what dates have been taken and what are free...
And if she is expecting you to do a senior role she should be paying you, plus some kind of % commission as why else would you try and retail ...
Think she's forgotten what the word incentives means...

Final note:
I have a friend who has her own salon and at the age of 38 she has promoted one if her employees to manager of her salon and she is currently sailing around Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, etc,
Working on celebrity cruises ... She started her training in Las Vegas for 10 days.
And she is loving it and seeing the world, works hard but is being very looked after by this company .... So it's never too late to apply again for this type of work. <3

Latest posts

Back