Benefits of LED?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmoz33

Reaction score
Apart from the quick curing time, are there any other benefits to LED compared to UV? Bulb life etc?
Thanks x

No need to replace the bulbs as you do with uv

I have an OPI LED, I think it is good for 50,000 hours but then the whole unit needs to be replaced as opposed to UV bulbs having 100 hours life,the unit is still good you just need to change the bulbs.

That's great thanks for your replies x

I have an OPI LED, I think it is good for 50,000 hours but then the whole unit needs to be replaced as opposed to UV bulbs having 100 hours life,the unit is still good you just need to change the bulbs.

50,000 hours of life on 10 and 30 second cures will also make it last much longer than 100 hours of life at 2 minutes per cure IYKWIM. It seems unlikely that anyone will have to replace and LED lamp ever because of bulb life. Also, according to the manufacturers of the Harmony Lamps the bulbs will have the same efficiency until the last second.

Since your LED is on for approximately one quarter of the time of a UV, you would have to change your UV bulbs approximately 2000 times before you reached the cure life of an LED lamp. That's a lot of years worth of using a lamp!

Hope my maths is right :lol:

50,000 hours of life on 10 and 30 second cures will also make it last much longer than 100 hours of life at 2 minutes per cure IYKWIM. It seems unlikely that anyone will have to replace and LED lamp ever because of bulb life. Also, according to the manufacturers of the Harmony Lamps the bulbs will have the same efficiency until the last second.

Since your LED is on for approximately one quarter of the time of a UV, you would have to change your UV bulbs approximately 2000 times before you reached the cure life of an LED lamp. That's a lot of years worth of using a lamp!

Hope my maths is right :lol:

It would have tone made blooming well as after 50,000 hours of use thing would be falling apart!

My harmony one was after a year and a half of constant use .

It would have tone made blooming well as after 50,000 hours of use thing would be falling apart!

My harmony one was after a year and a half of constant use .

Are you saying the bulbs went after 1.5 years of use? If so, I would send it back to Harmony if I were you. 50,000 hours is over 2000 days (over 5 years) of continuous 24 hour light! Really hope I'm getting the maths right :lol:

No I mean the plastic light housing and tray , after a year and a half of constant use it looked like it had been in a fight . The logos wear messy , the tray was dented / scuffed ,

I haven't worked out how many treatments is 50,000 hours ?
I think it's more than the life of the lamp housing ...

No I mean the plastic light housing and tray , after a year and a half of constant use it looked like it had been in a fight . The logos wear messy , the tray was dented / scuffed ,

I haven't worked out how many treatments is 50,000 hours ?
I think it's more than the life of the lamp housing ...

Yes you are probably right, the lights will last long enough to pass it down to my grandchildren, but the housing will look extremely old and messy :lol:

I was thinking about trying to work out how many treatments 50,000 hours represents
- 1 hour = 3,600 seconds
95 seconds per Gelish treatment (2 colour coats)
............ but my head got sore thinking about it :lol: I think its not far off 2 million treatments!

Back to the OPs original question.

Assuming any lamp LED or traditional UV will need replacing when it gets old and tatty, the advantage of an LED will be that you will never need to replace the bulbs for the entire time you keep it.

Last edited:
Another advantage is that LED bulbs maintain full strength for their entire life, with UV bulbs the strength begins to fall off as they age. There is also an environmental impact because UV bulbs often contain mercury and have to be discarded many times over compared to LED.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back