Best gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma cook

Reaction score
What range is the best for gel polish?

I've found the gel bottle inc to be really good! And the colours they have are amazing!

There are quite a few threads about this, if you do a quick search it should come up with a few. I personally have chosen ibd just gel as fit into my price budget for the initial set up. Plus preferred that it was just gel, no nail lacquer mixed in. So hopefully will make it last longer with my clients. Only had 1 so far so still testing it! But everyone has their own preferences depending on what their budget is and what their clientele might prefer etc

There are a few companies I believe that offer ' starter sets' as such . I'm venturing back into nails and have been looking at the OPI gel nail sets , think their lovely colours and have read lots of good things about them.
Although , one of the other ladies on here did say to me when I asked before that its usually best to buy a couple from each range as some people may have problems with some gels that other may not . ( I did attempt shellac - although yes I know its not a gel - but I just couldn't get it to stay on for more than a week without chipping at the free edge ! )

I think getting a few and having a play around with them is definatly worth it x

I've tried many and I've settled with cuccio veneer. They offer a small trial size kit I got 5 sets of nails from it - they are mini size. It only gives a red though xxxx

Cuccio for me too. I've trained and tried others but haven't found anything to beat it yet.

Although , one of the other ladies on here did say to me when I asked before that its usually best to buy a couple from each range as some people may have problems with some gels that other may not . ( I did attempt shellac - although yes I know its not a gel - but I just couldn't get it to stay on for more than a week without chipping at the free edge ! )

I think getting a few and having a play around with them is definatly worth it x

I would have to contradict this advice and indeed strongly advise against doing this. Each gel polish line will have a slightly different curing spectrum which will only be satisfied by using the correct lamp. Also not all UV polishes can be cured in both UV and LED. If you don't use the lamp which is recommended by the polish manufacturer then you cannot guarantee a full cure. Without a full cure not only will you get service breakdown such as peeling and chipping but you are also exposing your clients to the risk of developing either a sensitivity or allergy to undercured product, and in turn you are then opening yourself up to an insurance claim and being sued. If you don't use the correct lamp any insurance will be invalidated and costs would have to be covered by yourself. Not worth it I don't think.

I would have to contradict this advice and indeed strongly advise against doing this. Each gel polish line will have a slightly different curing spectrum which will only be satisfied by using the correct lamp. Also not all UV polishes can be cured in both UV and LED. If you don't use the lamp which is recommended by the polish manufacturer then you cannot guarantee a full cure. Without a full cure not only will you get service breakdown such as peeling and chipping but you are also exposing your clients to the risk of developing either a sensitivity or allergy to undercured product, and in turn you are then opening yourself up to an insurance claim and being sued. If you don't use the correct lamp any insurance will be invalidated and costs would have to be covered by yourself. Not worth it I don't think.

I have tried many different brands over the years and never ever used the brands lamp and never had any issues. I personally think this is rubbish who could actually afford to keep changing lamps everytime they tried a different product

I've found the gel bottle inc to be really good! And the colours they have are amazing!
I have just gone onto there website as I fancy trying these but everything is out of stock . Is it always like this ?? It's putting me off

I have tried many different brands over the years and never ever used the brands lamp and never had any issues. I personally think this is rubbish who could actually afford to keep changing lamps everytime they tried a different product
Don't take my word for it. Have you heard of Doug Schoon? He is the leading INDEPENDENT industry scientist who has written many articles on this topic and explains why it is so important. I suggest you read up on the science behind how gel products safely cure.

Hi Pure ,

You are absolutely correct. i completely understand the procedures for curing and probably didn't explain myself well. I didn't mean for it to sound like you should be using different products under the same lamp. I tried CND Shellac as mentioned - brought the kit through sweet squared with the original CND lamp and then sold it to buy the OPI gel range with their lamp when I couldn't bond with Shellac. ( in my defence , It was only a short message whilst I was trying to rustle around a set of manic triplets ! lol)

Thank you for the insight on the insurance front though - i wasn't aware that not using the correct lamp with the individual system would invalidate the claim . ( Something that wasnt explained during training from what I remember.) x

Thank you for the insight on the insurance front though - i wasn't aware that not using the correct lamp with the individual system would invalidate the claim . ( Something that wasnt explained during training from what I remember.) x

All insurance companies vary, but in general if you check their small print, you will find a clause which states "you must follow the manufacturers instructions ". Now what that actually means is if your chosen gel brand states you must use a specific lamp to cure their products, then if you chose not to do so then in the event of a claim your insurance company will quite legally refuse to pay out.

So advice to everyone is check the manufacturers advice first. Then check with your insurers!

Latest posts

Back