Best gloves for facial/massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sara x

Reaction score
Due to an allergic skin condition on my hands I am going to have to start wearing gloves for everything including facials and massage.
I really don't want to but it seems I have no choice.
Please could anyone advise me on which are the tightest, thinnest, smoothest gloves available? I'm guessing nitrile but if anybody could recommend anything specific I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

To be honest I think you might find clients won't want facials with gloves. I wouldn't or massage.

It is unfortunate that this happens to some therapists due to various reasons out of our control. By what i have learnt over the years is to listen to your body.
My hands also gave up and I just changed direction, so still in the beauty world but now just don't do massages anymore etc.

I am very sorry to hear that this has happened it really is not nice for anyone to deal with especially when it is your career which is effected by the condition.

*side note are you allergic to nuts? My one friend who worked for years suddenly started reacting to products and she assumed was acrylics her hands peeled and were so painful they cracked , she eventually worked out was nuts by pure chance ! And so now her hands are fine :)

I would be a shame to cut out some treatments for you.
Do you have any information about what ingredients you are specifically allergic or sensitive too?
What symptoms do you get and how quickly do they arise?

If it's due to just a couple of chemicals we might be able to suggest some alternative oils

Thanks ladies,
It's a long term condition that is always there but flares up from time to time and is particularly bad right now. It's essential oils as well as almost everything when they are bad, even the gentlest of products etc cause it.
I have discussed it with my clients who are happy to go ahead with gloves, it's just a matter of finding the best ones. Thanks again

I use nitrile gloves for waxing and when I apply oil they go very slippery and smooth so they will probably be best and in a tight size, I wear a small for a tight fit.

I'd use nitrale gloves... It may be an idea to inform people when booking all massages and facials are performed with gloves then they can't moan if they don't like it. I personally wouldn't mind but think some people would not like the idea as it's not how it's traditionally done.

I've had a facial with nitrile gloves done before. Honestly, you really cant tell the difference as nitrile heats up like your natural hand. Just make sure they are tight, perhaps a size smaller than you normally wear. But making sure they are comfortable and not cutting of circulation of course lol I use Medicom nitrile gloves. I'm not sure if you can get them where you are?

Thanks very much everyone. I am lucky in that I have a lovely group of regular clients who are all aware of the glove situation! Looks like the nitrile ones are the best for this so I'll get some small ones (usually medium) and see how I get on. Thanks again for taking the time to help x

Why not offer hot stone massage /lava shell or bambo massage. Then if new clients don't want to book a masage as they aren't sure about the feel of gloves on their skin, it won't matter as you will only be holding the stone / shell / bamboo.

Hi, Nitrile gloves are the thinnest to use and come in small and an extra small size for a snug fit. Murad skin care training use gloves with their facial routine and I didn't have a problem with it. Also in the USA some massage therapists use gloves in their massage routine. Hope this helps.

I know this sounds daft but I wouldn't use latex gloves, its far to much of a common allergy (I have it too ) but I truly think Nitrile gloves are your best bet

I use nitrile gloves with all my skin treatments I find it much more hygienic. A lot of company's are now training with gloves also. Nitrile are best as a lot of people are allergic to latex xxxx

Latest posts

Back