Bikini waxing infection risk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulineM-Mobile

Reaction score
** Bikini line waxing infection risk **
Women seeking a well-groomed bikini line are at greater risk of skin infections, say researchers.
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21832543 >
Saw this on BBC news this am. Just shows the importance of infection control for waxing.

P x

Saw this too after a friend posted a link to it, i would say most of the risk of infection comes from DIY waxing though when i did my waxing training (a long time ago just at the start of the brazilian trend over here) i was taught that taking so much hair away was unhygienic for the vagina and posed a great risk of infection now i know a lot of geeks do advanced waxing but this is what i was taught :-/

In France they often use recycled wax that has been re-melted after being used on other clients, so this might explain as the tests were done in France.

Also, a good Waxer wouldn't double dip.

Finally, they're claiming that removing the hair in Amy way can cause this so the only option is to never remove the hair.

Thanks for sharing the article.

In France they often use recycled wax that has been re-melted after being used on other clients, so this might explain as the tests were done in France.

Finally, they're claiming that removing the hair in Amy way can cause this so the only option is to never remove the hair.

recycled wax??? but surely that would have hairs in it???? :eek:

I think I've seen before, they seive the hairs out.

hahaha!!!! thats so random... 'so what do you do for a living?'.... 'i sieve peoples pubic hair out of wax' :lol: sorry i'm in one of those moods today x

Ha ha! I was trained in hot wax 23 years ago, and like what Kim said, hair being re melted was the done thing!! No one battered an eyelid. Not like today when we wax! And we used to use hot wax for everything not just intimate waxing!!!

Lol I know it's strange isnt it? I know the world is a bit crazy just now isn't it, alot of gramophobes about haha! A few germs never done anyone any harm haha x

Lol I know it's strange isnt it? I know the world is a bit crazy just now isn't it, alot of gramophobes about haha! A few germs never done anyone any harm haha x

agreed a few germs never caused anyone any harm, infact i think it can be good to help our bodies get used to germs to help fight illness, but i draw the line at having other peoples pubey wax applied to my skin :lol:

8-liter Wax Heater - Perron Rigot

Here you go.I learnt with only hot wax too but we didn't have the luxury of heaters with filters we used to pour the wax through tights to filter the hairs out.The heaters were like big slow cookers.

To be fair we then whacked the heat up so high I don't think any germs would live in it.No disposable spatulas though just a wooden spoon used for all areas.

The wax actually got better the more it was used.It would get darker and more pliable but you had to get it off at exactly the right time or you would have to chip it off.
Surgical spirit was used for all pre cleansing and a big tub of pink stuff like germolene was used after.

Electrolysis was even more interesting no disposable needles they were put in Dettol then kept in a uv cabinet and then before use you would run your tweezers up and down the needle with the current up high.

This was A City and Guilds course in the late 70s by the way :biggrin:.

Last edited:

Disgusting!!! No wonder they found infections. But surely hair removal on any part of the body will be more open to infections. Just something else to worry people about in my opinion!!

Here you go.I learnt with only hot wax too but we didn't have the luxury of heaters with filters we used to pour the wax through tights to filter the hairs out.The heaters were like big slow cookers.
To be fair we then whacked the heat up so high I don't think any germs would live in it.No disposable spatulas though just a wooden spoon used for all areas.
The wax actually got better the more it was used.It would get darker and more pliable but you had to get it off at exactly the right time or you would have to chip it off.
Surgical spirit was used for all pre cleansing and a big tub of pink stuff like germolene was used after.

Electrolysis was even more interesting no disposable needles they were put in Dettol then kept in a uv cabinet and then before use you would run your tweezers up and down the needle with the current up high.

This was A City and Guilds course by the way :biggrin:.

Oh my very interesting. Glad i didnt train then lol

I used to hate hot wax, easy as hell to burn the client and if you let it get too cold it would snap and be a right disaster!!
I remember the wooden spoon spatulas and staring into the filter section of the heater to see all the fuzzy stranded hair caught on the mesh ewwgghh:eek:!

The smell was quite specific too....lol!
xx

Ewwwww to the filtered wax

Oh boy, how things have changed. Thankfully but this did make me laugh.

The French love it! The machine is mega expensive too!

Omg, sieving pubes? That is beyond rank.

HOF do a sieve heater as well so there must still be demand.Someone somewhere is reusing it.Thing is the wax is expensive and you use it much thicker than the newer pliable waxes.I know there are waxers that still use hot wax and do full legs with it so I'm sure they can't throw it away or their service would have to be hundreds.

The French love it! The machine is mega expensive too!
The girl who had the beauty room previous to me had one, it was in the room when I arrived...pubes stuck all over it .....ewww, would have e-bayed it if I had known it was so valuable Kim :biggrin::biggrin:

Ha ha!! Love it, yes, big old wooden spoons!! Lots of surgical spirit, and dodgy electrolysis needles! Stop it you are making wish I still had a perm!x

Latest posts

Back