Bio, Brisa, Minx, and polish queries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach.rua

Reaction score
Hi, i haven't been on here in a long time but i found this site extremely useful when i first trained. I have a couple of questions regarding a few different services, i hope its ok to put them in the one thead rather than post 4 separate ones. Ok so,
  • biosculpture, generally i love their stuff think its a great invention. Some of my clients get nearly 6 weeks out of the french overlay, most get 3-4, but some (myself included) would barely get a week or 2 and the white would star peeling off. i cant really find anything that sticks out in my mind as to what would cause this, its not that they'd have particularly bad nails. And i never have this problem with a colour overlay, i wear them all the time and i'd always get 3-4 weeks out of the colour. any thoughts?
  • Brisa overlay, not at all as problematic but, i do find sometimes that they can chip from the tip, i always make sure that i wrap the free edge, but its like the gel separates from the tip of the nail. Anything i can do to make sure this will not happen? or is there something about the clients nails that i dont know about that would make them an unsuitible candidate for brisa overlays??
  • minx! just heard about them today on this site, they sound interesting. Can someone give me some general info about them? Like how do they compare to a polish or gel overlay as in how much do you charge, how long does it take to do a full set, how long do they last? Is it worth investing in them? The advantage i can see is the designs and patterns, they look fantastic.
  • and last but not least, im always looking for other creative technicians advice on what colour enamel you use for french polish, currently i use Cream puff and Clearly pink, but i read on one of gigi's posts saying she uses a more opaque pink. like what though? i dont really like beau because it's too white, not pink enough and some clients dont like the shimmer in it. and i dont like negligee because of the blue hue in it. any other suggestions?
Thanks soo much for your time!!
Rachel

Hi, i haven't been on here in a long time but i found this site extremely useful when i first trained. I have a couple of questions regarding a few different services, i hope its ok to put them in the one thead rather than post 4 separate ones. Ok so,
  • biosculpture, generally i love their stuff think its a great invention. Some of my clients get nearly 6 weeks out of the french overlay, most get 3-4, but some (myself included) would barely get a week or 2 and the white would star peeling off. i cant really find anything that sticks out in my mind as to what would cause this, its not that they'd have particularly bad nails. And i never have this problem with a colour overlay, i wear them all the time and i'd always get 3-4 weeks out of the colour. any thoughts? Are you doing two thin coats of white. Are you flash curing either coat, or doing too many fingers at one go, so you get shrinkage. Peeling French tends to come from undercured white, or badly capped sealer.

• Brisa overlay, not at all as problematic but, i do find sometimes that they can chip from the tip, i always make sure that i wrap the free edge, but its like the gel separates from the tip of the nail. Anything i can do to make sure this will not happen? or is there something about the clients nails that i dont know about that would make them an unsuitible candidate for brisa overlays?? Not a Brisa expert. I only really use it over tips. I've never had much success with overlays...they alwasy seperate for me too, unless I fit forms and cap, but then thats just a lot more hassle when I have systems that don't need that!
  • minx! just heard about them today on this site, they sound interesting. Can someone give me some general info about them? Like how do they compare to a polish or gel overlay as in how much do you charge, how long does it take to do a full set, how long do they last? Is it worth investing in them? The advantage i can see is the designs and patterns, they look fantastic. Minx are fab. Very qucik to supply and mostly a fun party thing for my cleints. personally I do 3 times as many Minx toes as nails. Give Sweet Squared a shout and get a catalogue. They are a great addition to a portfolio. Great for marketing too! People really talk about them
  • and last but not least, im always looking for other creative technicians advice on what colour enamel you use for french polish, currently i use Cream puff and Clearly pink, but i read on one of gigi's posts saying she uses a more opaque pink. like what though? i dont really like beau because it's too white, not pink enough and some clients dont like the shimmer in it. and i dont like negligee because of the blue hue in it. any other suggestions? CND have just changed their enamel range and have brought out a whole new load of colours - today, in the UK, I believe. I understand there is now a french collection. maybe check that out.
Thanks soo much for your time!!
Rachel

Some thoughts abouve for you in Red - HTH x

Hi and welcome back to the salongeek. I hope we can be as helpful to you this time around.

Re the new colours from CND
http://www.salongeek.com/groups/cnd+lovers-+colour+revolution+starts+here!!!!-228.html

Everything else about the collection is superb from the bottles (very classy) to the new brushes, to the much faster drying time to the coverage to the ultra smooth application ... no professional can fail to notice the difference.
The polish formula is also truly · FREE which means, no toluene, no formaldehyde or TSFR and no DBP. A bunch of great pluses for any business.

The best thing for me is not having the expense of stocking so many colours on the shelves when we all know that of all those colours ,that we keep at our expense for the convenience of clients, we use only about 25-50 regularly. I personally will love getting rid of what we call 'the dust catchers'!! lol

Re Brisa chips ... Overlays should not separate. Are you etching the tip well and working your base layer well onto it right from the start?

Maybe look at the prescription you have done for your client? Nails that chip are generally too long and the free edge too thin.

Last edited:
Thats great advise re Brisa. I had the problem to until I realised I was concentrating so much arould cuticle area and lateral folds, that I wasn't giving the edges enough attention both regarding to removing shine, scrubbing with scrubfresh and working in the baselayer!

thanks so much, its so great to get help from people who really know what they are talking about! i was flash curing the first coat of white in the biosculpture, that must be whats been going wrong, i'll try it another way and see if it helps.
and like the last girl's comment, i too think i spend too much time concentrating on the cuticle area etc and honestly not enough on the free edge, just capping it. i will pay more attention and hope this helps. thanks.
I'm gonna give creative in dublin a buzz and find out more about this new enamel range and see if they can tell me any more about the minx and popits too!
have a good day, thanks for your help! xxx

You can buy PopIts and Minx from Sweet Squared .... Dublin do not yet stock Minx and I'm not sure if they stock PopIts. The did once but not sure now.

Latest posts

Back