Bio or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browneyed gal

Reaction score
Hi i'm thinking of having gels on my nails to strengthen them up,their really weak at the mo, but i'm confused!! i've had bio before and like them, but they did come off due to being a heavy handed hairdresser!!!!lol Are shellac any better at staying put? thank you in advance xxxx

Hi, As you're so hard on your nails your best bet would prob be to have hard gel (buff off) on your nails instead of soak off or gel/polish. I use NCO London hard gel on my hairdressers nails and it doesn't budge!.
HTH xxx

Shellac is a colour coat and not a gel. There is a certain strengthening properties that are great for some, but CND do not recommend Shellac for very weak and bendy nails.

Having said that, I never thought I had particularly strong nails naturally, and I had worn enhancements for 25 years before abandoning them in favour of Shellac and my nails grew like the 'beanstalk' in the fairy tale lol.

I have had only my own nails for a year and a half now only wearing Shellac. I have only ever broken the odd nail since (or grated it with the garlic grater or cut it with a knife (I'm a keen cook) occupational hazzard.

Why not take the chance and 'suck it and see'? The Shellac manicure doesn't cost much and I would say try it to see how you get on before having something more permanent that requires your already weak nails to be buffed prior to a treatment. One of the unique things about the Shellac manicure is that your nails do not need to be buffed or weakened further if you have Shellac. Try it for 2-3 weeks and see how you go. If it doesn't suit you what have you lost? Enjoy.

Hi thanks for getting back. Whats NCO london nails? i migth try shellac because of the cost, and also the benifit of not having them buffed down even futher than what i've done!!!!!lol i just really want nice nails, ever since i had acrylic nails they have never been the same xxx

Hi thanks for getting back. Whats NCO london nails? i migth try shellac because of the cost, and also the benifit of not having them buffed down even futher than what i've done!!!!!lol i just really want nice nails, ever since i had acrylic nails they have never been the same xxx

Well trust me I have worn acrylic nails for 25 years and my natural nails are just the same as they ever were but I no longer pick at them and they are long and strong and smooth as silk with Shellac.

Give it a few months and your natural nails will be as good as new with Shellac. Stay with it while your damage grows out naturally.

Well trust me I have worn acrylic nails for 25 years and my natural nails are just the same as they ever were but I no longer pick at them and they are long and strong and smooth as silk with Shellac.

Give it a few months and your natural nails will be as good as new with Shellac. Stay with it while your damage grows out naturally.

SOLD!!!!!! i'm gonna give it a go, and let you know how it goes xxxx:biggrin:

SOLD!!!!!! i'm gonna give it a go, and let you know how it goes xxxx:biggrin:

Please DO and if the technician who does your nails DARES to buff them with anything at all ... tell her you will walk out. We do not buff the natural nail for Shellac.

So many nail techs are so used to buffing (even if it is only gently) they can't seem to help themselves. They don't trust anything to work if they don't buff!

Tell the technician before you sit down at the table that you will not tollerate any buffing on the surface of your natural nails (sounds like you have done enough of that yourself lol). Then go for it and just let Shellac do the work.

Latest posts

Back