Bio Sculpture v Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously gellux are blatantly lying then as it states in their literature that they are a gel hybrid polish!? So am somewhat confused!

Obviously gellux are blatantly lying then as it states in their literature that they are a gel hybrid polish!? So am somewhat confused!

If Gellux is branding their product as a gel hybrid polish, then they are not exactly lying. The key word there is 'gel'. If they are a gel and have included the word gel in their branding, then they are what they say they are. What is misleading is the fact they have use the word 'hybrid'.

Shellac has never included the word 'gel' in their branding. The only time when they have used the word 'gel' is in their official slogan - "On like a polish, Wears like a gel, off in minutes." But this is only to explain that the Shellac formula contains monomers that you would find in a gel therefore providing Shellac with a 14 day wear, it is not to explain that Shellac is entirely a gel formula.

The word 'hybrid' means it's combination of something, in written english terms, it doesn't neccessarily mean that the formula is a combination of polish and gel. It could just mean that Gellux has made a gel in a bottle which looks like polish so therefore they are now calling it a 'hybrid'.

However, I do think it does start to get misleading in our current nail industry as many immediately interpret 'hybrid' as 'all liquid in a bottle is a combination of polish and gel.' This is not true.

Personally, I think in our nail industry, a product should only be called a 'hybrid' if the formula inside is of a combination of something. Shellac's technology contains solvents, monomers and polymers, so therefore it can be called the only true 'hybrid polish'.

Basically, there are now 3 main categories of gel:
UV hard gel, Soft coloured gel(usually in pots) and now gel-polish.

Shellac does not fall into any of these categories and is in a league of it's own because it is classified as a 'Hybrid Power Polish'. This is the unique selling point of Shellac and this is the difference between Shellac and other gel-polishes.

Hope this helps and makes it less confusing...?

Last edited:
Hi :)

I use Bio Sculpture and Gelicure. All of my clients loved Bio... Until I introduced Gelicure lol. Personally, I love the strength that Bio offers, but I prefer Gelicure for staying super shiny, not taking as long to apply, and a lot of my clients are getting an extra 1-2 weeks out of it, in comparison to Bio.

It's just whatever you and your clients like best. Xx

Just thought I'd mention that Bio Nails do stay 'super shiny' if your using the UV Top Coat Gel... :p

Thank you all for your advice it has been really helpful. I have now booked with bio sculpture and just received my kit, which felt like Christmas when the postman came!
I chose bio because the price point aside, all I heard was positive comments although gelish seems very well loved by many too it did slightly put me off that it's sold in sallys and anyone with a trade card can get it. However I am going to see how bio and the training goes and I think when when I have more experience and clients I am going to see if there is a call for gelish too. Thanks everyone.
Oh anyone else booked on the bio course in October at pontafract???

Latest posts

Back