Bio seaweed gel vs Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaspeers

Reaction score
As some of you may know from previous posts I am looking at changing my system

Thanks to everyones advice I had almost decided on Gelish. This is available at Sallys and although more expensive than some systems, I know that clients will recognise the name and the fact it cures with a LED lamp, has helped me almost decided

Until I spoke to the lady who trained me - she has told me that bio seaweed gel is better for your nails than Gelish

She has also offered me a 10% off discount and told me a lot of pros about the BSG in comparison but I wanted other peoples opinions please.

I have my own thoughts on this but wanted other peoples opinions if possible

Didn't you train with Le chat on her recommendation?

The fact she is pushing you to BSG and offering you a discount to me sounds like she personally gains financially from you choosing BSG.

All the replies on here aren't getting any paid commission for recommending you products.

I personally use Bio sculpture gel (nothing at all to do with Bio seaweed gel- infact I'm surprised this gel polish has been called similar!!) not a gel polish, so I am completely unbiased.

If I was to invest in a gel polish it would be gelish or the power polish shellac. But like you Id like to be able to go to my local sallys (esp on vat free days!) and buy what I need rather than order online.

If you have a registered Salon services card you should have received a vat free voucher for next week which would come in handy if you are ready to buy!

If you aren't in any rush, I suggest you go & get your nails done. Once with gelish & once with BSG and see what YOU like best.

Good luck xx

Didn't you train with Le chat on her recommendation?

The fact she is pushing you to BSG and offering you a discount to me sounds like she personally gains financially from you choosing BSG.

All the replies on here aren't getting any paid commission for recommending you products.

I personally use Bio sculpture gel (nothing at all to do with Bio seaweed gel- infact I'm surprised this gel polish has been called similar!!) not a gel polish, so I am completely unbiased.

If I was to invest in a gel polish it would be gelish or the power polish shellac. But like you Id like to be able to go to my local sallys (esp on vat free days!) and buy what I need rather than order online.

If you have a registered Salon services card you should have received a vat free voucher for next week which would come in handy if you are ready to buy!

If you aren't in any rush, I suggest you go & get your nails done. Once with gelish & once with BSG and see what YOU like best.

Good luck xx
I thought similar to you which is why i have come to ask advice here

I am thinking gelish because you can cure with led, which is quicker too.

It is more expensive than other brands however it is a very known name and I can advertise using this too

I do have a registered card and it is currently VAT now however I have found the same kit on amazon quite a lot cheaper and on harmonygelish.co.uk but unsure how reliable that site is. I love sallys though and buy a lot from there. I would definitely go there for my single bottles of colour

Im considering doing my course again with gelish, what a waste of a lot of money though! :( That is depressing! I wish I knew about Sallys before but we live and learn....

It is more expensive than other brands however it is a very known name and I can advertise using this too

Be careful with that, I don't think that is accurate. Although Gelish costs more per bottle, it is significantly larger than CNS Shellac. It is the cost per service that really matters. Make sure you allow for that in your calculations.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but if you wont to build a good reputation and build a good business with loyal clients, you can not do this on the cheap. You need to invest money on a really good system , with good training from an authorized supplier. You simply can not buy from Amazon and ebay . I would question your training and your trainer this should have been explained to you. x

Buy it vat free from sallys, you can keep the receipt & take it back should anything go wrong.

As said its the cost per service that matters, go & do the gelish training & they will fill you in with all that info! They may even put together a starter kit.

But id imagine sallys would sell it for the same retail price that gelish would.

Again no ebay, amazon etc... If you can buy from there so can your clients.

You'll only need to do it all once, so invest well. As the saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice".

Xx

I would recommend buying from nail harmony themselves. I always put my orders through my trainer and they're delivered the next day. They will also match any vat free days that Sally's have.

I received an email advertising this Bio seaweed gel awhile back and watched their demo video. If this is the same gel polish we're talking about, I really wouldn't used it. The video was geared more towards DIYers. They kept emphasizing that it could be cured in the sunlight (like... the lady in the video polished her nail with it and then went and stood with her nails on a sunny windowsill :lol: ). I really didn't see anything about it that made it any different from any other gel polish range so I stuck with what I knew. I would much rather go for a more well known, professional brand. Most of the gel polishes today are LED curable now. And LED lamps are becoming a bit more affordable.

I use Gelish along my other lines, and it is a good brand. As you say, it's well known so clients know it. I don't mind paying a bit more because I've used it before and I know how well it lasts. And there are deals from time to time so you won't always hurt your wallet. You already know Sally's has it. As does Beauty Express, their sister company. And the Nail Harmony website itself has some colors that are cheaper than others. They also do deals when new collections come out.

I really get frustrated when someone representing one brand says another brand is damaging. We should all know by now it's usually the techs or clients that do the damaging, not the product. It's just tacky to call another brand or person out to make yourself or your brand look better.

It sounds like your trainer has a vested interest in you purchasing Bio seed weed gel, just like she had with Le Chat, I wouldn't go on her recommendation because why after her bugging up Le Chat she now recommends a completely different brand?!
Your right to cons on here, but I would say we can only offer our views, I'm sure most of us have tried & tested lots of different gels before purchasing the whole ranges to see which we prefer, companies such as Cuccio will send out free sample packs - and in all fairness it is a great product and they have fantastic deals etc, Gelish is a more well known name among techs - but don't think all clients know the brand as they do not, they will go on your judgement as a professional as they will trust you to use a brand you believe in.
I'd suggest maybe picking five different brands to try and seeing for yourself which ones you prefer working with x

I used to use gelish, and it was great, but I've completely switched all my systems to CND therefore use shellac and is defiantly the best AND safest of all gel polishes, yes it may not be LED cured but you save time in prep not having to remove the shine of the natural nail, just give the nail plate a good clean with some scrub fresh then go straight to base coat, but the most important thing is don't cheap out on products! Shellac maybe a bit more expensive than some gels, and a smaller size then say gelish (although shellac is cheaper) do any of the competitors apply like shellac, nope? Do any of the competitors wear as good as shellac, maybe? Do the competitors remove as fast as shellac, defiantly not! Nor do you have to file off the top coat either. With premium products you charge a premium price which makes up for the cost of the product, and if the client wants the best for their nails they will pay, and you'll also be better off with repeat custom and a good rep which you may not get with a poorly performing brand.

But whatever brand, I wouldn't base it off the LED or UV cured bit, unless you've had ALOT of practice and experience and really mastered it trust me 2 minutes isn't a long time, when 1 hand is curing you get a decent amount of time to do they other then swap, it's not very often I'm sat waiting for the timer.. The only time when LED cure is ideal is for things like nail art to quickly be able to cure each bit, but with the CND lamp I just lock each segment into place for 10 seconds and then do a final full cure when I've finished.

I used to use gelish, and it was great, but I've completely switched all my systems to CND therefore use shellac and is defiantly the best AND safest of all gel polishes, yes it may not be LED cured but you save time in prep not having to remove the shine of the natural nail, just give the nail plate a good clean with some scrub fresh then go straight to base coat, but the most important thing is don't cheap out on products! Shellac maybe a bit more expensive than some gels, and a smaller size then say gelish (although shellac is cheaper) do any of the competitors apply like shellac, nope? Do any of the competitors wear as good as shellac, maybe? Do the competitors remove as fast as shellac, defiantly not! Nor do you have to file off the top coat either. With premium products you charge a premium price which makes up for the cost of the product, and if the client wants the best for their nails they will pay, and you'll also be better off with repeat custom and a good rep which you may not get with a poorly performing brand.

But whatever brand, I wouldn't base it off the LED or UV cured bit, unless you've had ALOT of practice and experience and really mastered it trust me 2 minutes isn't a long time, when 1 hand is curing you get a decent amount of time to do they other then swap, it's not very often I'm sat waiting for the timer.. The only time when LED cure is ideal is for things like nail art to quickly be able to cure each bit, but with the CND lamp I just lock each segment into place for 10 seconds and then do a final full cure when I've finished.

I do want to point out that many Gelish (and other gel polishes) dispense with both buffing the natural nail and buffing the top coat for removal. That is the benefit of a forum like this - you get to find out what people really do beyond the instructions.

As for LED, I think it is a mistake to focus so much attention on the speed of LED lamps, although they do save a great deal of time. LED lamps cost less in the long run - last year we found an 18 month payback, and with the newer prices and sale, it's probably much less. They also do not contain mercury, like the CFL UV bulbs, so they're much more environmentally friendly. LEDs also don't have the drop off in power over time and have less UV exposure than CFL UV lamps (although both are absolutely safe).

Plus the problems with the CND lamp to take in to account. Xx

Plus the problems with the CND lamp to take in to account. Xx

I've had no problems with mine since the new batch arrived? X

Latest posts

Back