Bit of advice, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie25

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just worked my 4 weeks notice in my job. I was fully employed and just been to pick up my last wages today. My holidays ran from January to end of the year, 16 days in total, I'd taken 10 and had 6 left to take - should I be paid for my remaining 6 days?
Thanks
Julie xx

Hi I just did a quick calculation and don't think you are owed much maybe a day at the most depending on your leaving date.

If you divide amount of annual leave days you are entitled to (16) by months in year (12) your total is holiday entitlement per month (1.33 days).
16 / 12= 1.33 days

I then times 1.33 days by full months you have worked (Jan-August)
1.33 x 8= 10.66

You will not be paid for holiday you have not earnt. You have taken your entitlement you have accrued (10 days). For example if you had only taken 6 days holiday this working year then they would owe you 4 days pay. If you had taken 16 days holiday this working year then you would owe them 6 days pay. Hope this helps and I haven't confused you.

No that's great thankyou!!
I'm not great on the whole business side of things so thanks for explaining that for me. It's been a bit awkward at work so preferred to ask in here rather than approach my boss. Thankyou!! Xx

Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment

This page explains the basics of your entitlement. You have a minimum of 5.6 weeks holiday per year. If you were working 5 days a week that is 28 days. Or 2.33 days per month. This is the legal minimum, your employer does not have the right to give you 1.33 days per month.

Your calculation of 16 days earned seems a bit off. Although bank holidays can be calculated in the entitlement. If you add in any bank holidays you've had off does that take you to around 20 days? (my rough calculation based on 2.33 X 8.5 months of the year worked)

Very importantly, you must be paid for any holiday you have not taken when you finish a job! This is stated on the link above, if your employer challenges it you need to show them the government site! The remaining days should be on your final payslip, probably listed under 'holiday pay' or similar.

That sounds a bit complicated but basically YES you should be paid and CHECK that the number of days is correct.

Air x

Oh right, yeah I had 4 days for bank hols too so 20 days off xx

So you took 10 days + 4 bank holidays? So 14 days, you still have 5.8 days entitlement left, that's a weeks pay! :D Hope you get it sorted hun x

That's fab! Thank you so much! I hope I get it too I'll contact her now xx

Did you work full time or part time? It's not as clear cut as 28 days hols, if you work part time depending on the hours you work per week will determine how many holidays you are entitled too. HTH

If in doubt contact ACAS I was in in a situation similar to your and they worked out exactly what I was still due, sorry cant post link as am on phone.

Thankyou I'll check that out xx

Latest posts

Back