Bit of advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HA_10

Reaction score
I'm currently doing my level 2 nvq in hairdressing as an apprenticeship. As I'm over 19 my manager now has to pay me the minimum wage but doesn't want to so has suggested cutting my hours down. We have only just recently started in salon training, previously the only training I was getting is one day a week at college. She wants me on the shop floor by Xmas, which to be honest I don't feel confident in doing. She said she is willing to give me more training however I will be working in the salon on the busiest days so I'm bit unsure whether that would be possible. She has mentioned more training as I have told her that honestly I would like to leave. I have the opportunity to go full time at college to qualify, it would mean I could get all the training and support I need to finish my level 2. It may also mean I would progress quicker. Do you think leaving the salon would be a good idea? I have previously been advised apprenticeships are better but I think it depends on which salon you are at. I am willing to do what's best for my career. I am really looking forward to qualifying but I just feel I am not progressing. I have spoke to my family they say do what is best for me I just feel I need a little bit of professional advice too. Sorry for the long winded post but I just really am unsure of what to do.

Thanks for reading x

I'm currently doing my level 2 nvq in hairdressing as an apprenticeship. As I'm over 19 my manager now has to pay me the minimum wage but doesn't want to so has suggested cutting my hours down. We have only just recently started in salon training, previously the only training I was getting is one day a week at college. She wants me on the shop floor by Xmas, which to be honest I don't feel confident in doing. She said she is willing to give me more training however I will be working in the salon on the busiest days so I'm bit unsure whether that would be possible. She has mentioned more training as I have told her that honestly I would like to leave. I have the opportunity to go full time at college to qualify, it would mean I could get all the training and support I need to finish my level 2. It may also mean I would progress quicker. Do you think leaving the salon would be a good idea? I have previously been advised apprenticeships are better but I think it depends on which salon you are at. I am willing to do what's best for my career. I am really looking forward to qualifying but I just feel I am not progressing. I have spoke to my family they say do what is best for me I just feel I need a little bit of professional advice too. Sorry for the long winded post but I just really am unsure of what to do.

Thanks for reading x

If you don't want to be there then don't! If you are unhappy and feel you are not moving along like you should be and have already spoken to the manager then get on your full time course and do it that way. What if you haven't learnt all you need to by the end of your apprenticeship, will you go back to full time college after?

You need to make the best decision for your career, if that means going full time then do it x x

What do you feel you should do? Do you want to stay in the salon or are you leaning towards your fulltime course?

Do you mean on the shop floor as in cutting and colouring like a qualified stylist? Xxx

I am leaning towards going to college I known I will get all the training i need. My manager said she would give me training but in a busy salon I'm unsure whether that's possible.

She mentioned going on the shop floor maybe doing things like applying colour, not sure about cutting as that is something I wouldn't be happy in doing until I have had more training

You'll get far more experience from being in the salon than full time college! It's good if you're thrown in at the deep end and if you are just blowdrying, applying tints etc. then you can't go far wrong.
If the Manager is willing to give you more training then take her up on it. Maybe suggest coming in on your day off to do models etc.
I would prefer to take on someone who has had salon experience rather than a full timer who's been in college. :)

Personally I don't agree that salon education is always best.

Your manager may be a good stylist but a rubbish trainer. They are two different skill sets and not every good stylist is able to teach.

If you we're learning to drive, would you prefer to be taught by a qualified instructor or your mate's dad.

If you feel that your confidence might suffer staying at the salon, then transfer to college full time. It can be really difficult to regain confidence, if its knocked early on.

I have to agree with AcidPerm. Working in a salon (fair enough it was a rubbish one) really knocked my confidence cos the guy refused to buy decent colours and although I was really good at colouring in college I just couldn't get good results and blamed myself cos the client's didn't know it wasn't my fault!

Much more confident having finished my level 2 and 3 in college with really good teachers and the knowledge from the other students who were in salons.

I have sorted it all, I feel a lot better about it too. Spoke to my manager again and said I would stay if she could definately promise me extra training times which she said she would be more than happy to do because she doesn't want to loose me. I am pleased its sorted as I do get on really well with the other stylists, I'm looking forward to qualifying now.

Thanks for all your advice

Latest posts

Back