Bleach foils, overlapping and broken hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmonie

Reaction score
Hello fellow geeks. I am a nail tech but in need of your advise from a consumer view.

My mobile hairdresser came round last night and did the foil highlights on my hair with bleach as she has been doing for a year now with no problems at all.

I had a client last night she at the end of the colour she quickly dried the top to check the colour and it looked fine she i left it damp so i could do my nail client.

After i finished a noticed my hair was falling out, big handfulls of it. I text her and she said if it had stopped not to worry.
Anyway this monring im cleaning my bath of all the foils left from night before and there was an extrordinary amount of hair in the bath. All very long hairs and now this morning my hair feels like I have lost alot of volume, it was definitely much thicker before but i can see no obvious bald spots or anything.

When quizzed hairdresser said I should just use my conditioner and leave it in to get a deep conditioning treatment.

Now im not stupid and um not gonna get my hair back but simply leaving my usual conditioner on it for a period of time will not help either....

Advise please! Thanks x

Its possible that your hairdresser may have felt a bit rushed and because you said you had a client in, put on a stronger peroxide with the bleach so it would lift faster. This could be what has caused the damage, if it is a lot of hair lost, it could be because the bleach was stronger than usual. However, it may just be caused by the fact you have a lot of bleach in your hair (i don't know if you do or not). As you said, leaving normal conditioner in your hair will neither reattach the snapped hair nor repair the rest of your hair. If I were you, invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner, and also get a penetrative mask. This will protect your hair from further damage and work to keep your new growth in good condition. You might also be better off going and getting a good cut, as that will get rid of a bit of the damaged hair (as I expect if you are losing hair, the hair that is still on your head will be damaged too. Good luck and be nice to your hair!! I would advise avioding straightening and use heat protector when you need to. :D don't worry about it though, it will get better. xxx

I dont think she was using a stronge bleech as she had two bottle on the table and we were chatting about it and she was explaining she was using the weaker on so she had time to get the whole head done before the first were ready etc. She also said as im quite fair anyway that too strong bleech wasnt needed. My hair is highlighted and has been for years and previously been in excellent condition. Even now the length of the hair isnt bad at all as she didnt touch it.
I cant have it cut to the damage as my bra stapth length hair will be a crew cut!

I have a Capital and Sallys near me and obviously have a trade card, is there anything you can recommend I can buy(professional) to help? shampoo, conditioner and a treatment?

I use Lifetex in the salon (Wella) and if you went and got their color protect shampoo, rinse and mask...use shampoo and rinse every time you shampoo and use mask...twice a week? leave on as long as you can etc. Lifetex is a cheaper range but in my opinion works really well. Just nurse it back to health and see how you get on, it should settle soon anyway. Try to leave it as long as possible before getting it done next time. if you said it was at the top of your hair like where ur parting is, chances are she may have used to stronger one so the top lifted faster and it was all lifted to the same level (do you understand? Sometimes I'm not so great at describing things...) xxx

i know some people wont agree , but where there is bleach , there is breakage( unless you have panels and never have the same panel redone) She should have mentioned it , and with bleach that is always the risk you are going to run .
It is worth getting it cut , and maintaining the cut every 6 weeks , because if it has broken off it wont have broken off evenly , you will have all differant lengths in it . Cutting it will help thicken it up too .
If you do buy a conditioning treatment , get a strengthening one , too much moisture may over soften the hair causing it to break further .
Lots of TLC and a little gentle brushing!

liana which mask would be best? would the color protect one not be the best one to get? x

if thats the one for strengthening and restructuring then yes , i know sometimes bleached hair gets a bit slimy and spongy - then stay away from moisture as t just soften it and it can dissolve

I had a client who bleached her daughter with frost and tip. Once streak they piled it on top of her head. She had longgggg hair while when they rinse they had 2 hot spots on her head she lost alot off hair in those spots. But thank god not all of it. But it was on top of her head. She deep condioning some layer NO flat irons. It was spongy took long time to dry. But it did get better just treat your hair kindly.

Latest posts

Back