blending tips...please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klara

Reaction score
I have a problem with tips. I read Geegs tutorial about how to blend a tip but I have problem with the joint....it takes forever to make it dissapear..:confused:
I was taught to make it dissapear so it looks natural after an overlay and not see the joint...(I hope this makes sense)

What I find helpful in the joint area is to make with the Koala buffer (240 grit) gentle moves like a saw (I don't know the word so please forgive me)....
I was told not to do that but make moves as the nail grows but it seems impossible for the tip to blend in that particular area....Is it ok to do that because it is not in the natural nail or am I completely wrong??
How do you make this joint dissapear??? Please help me...:grr:

I am at college and at the moment we are doing blended tips.

Up till now we have used tips with a small contact area but one of the tutors today said she prefers to blend tips with a full contact area.

we tried it and i found it easier to blend. Moving accross the tip from one side to the other a few times and sweeping in the sides until they disappear.

We used a 180 grit file.

What tips are you using...? some are easier to blend than others.

You can pre blend..this is when you blend the tip prior to applying it to the nail.

It does get easier i promise...give it time. x

I use formation tips (full well) on the trainer because the nails there are flat..but before I put it I cut the well with the tip cutter and then I try to blend the joint between the nail and the tip.
I start from the end as Geeg suggested, which is much easier, but when I reach this joint it takes forever to blend unless I do this sew-saw move on the tip gently with a 240 grit...but is this correct?

I had this problem to begin with and hated blending (still do a bit) but with a bit of practice u will soon speed up. Changing tips or tip blender may help.

As long as you aren't touching the natural nail plate, it is perfectly acceptable to use a 180 grit abrasive to blend your tip. :)

ALSO: I 2nd what Angie said- PRE-BLEND! It helps ALOT, and I can be much more aggressive BEFORE I apply a tip, rather then AFTER.

You only need about 20% of that tip adhered to the natural nail plate! Don't make it so hard! Your strength should be in your PRODUCT, not your tip ;)

ANd long, firm strokes are the best when filing, you create way less friction AND strain on your arm ;)

Good luck, and take a deep breath, you will be FINE. :)

Thank you very much for your advices :hug: I will keep practicing...:)

I was taught to pre-blend the sides of the tip if it does not fit the nail but not to pre-blend the tip (at the well area, in the middle), at least at the beginning because when the tip is not pre-blend

you can see when you put it on the nail with glue (sorry I cannot remember the right english word for glue) if there are any bubbles to avoid them. But I will try to pre-blend and see how it goes.

I'll also try the long firm strokes because what I do is short gentle strokes where the tip and nail join.

I still have a long way.....

Thank you very much for your advices :hug: I will keep practicing...:)

I was taught to pre-blend the sides of the tip if it does not fit the nail but not to pre-blend the tip (at the well area, in the middle), at least at the beginning because when the tip is not pre-blend

you can see when you put it on the nail with glue (sorry I cannot remember the right english word for glue) if there are any bubbles to avoid them. But I will try to pre-blend and see how it goes.

I'll also try the long firm strokes because what I do is short gentle strokes where the tip and nail join.

I still have a long way.....

When you mentioned bubbles this may well be your problem.If you dont get the tip glued on properly in the first place you will never blend it properly and quickly.You will always have shadows and discoloured bits.You cant leave a tip on with any air underneath i know its a pain to get off but if you dont its more of a pain to blend and it will also probably lift off.
Work on tip application and i think your blending will become easier.
Also there are good tips and bad tips its always best to try a few different ones.There's plenty of info on here about good tips if you do a search.

I use formation tips (full well) on the trainer because the nails there are flat..but before I put it I cut the well with the tip cutter and then I try to blend the joint between the nail and the tip.
I start from the end as Geeg suggested, which is much easier, but when I reach this joint it takes forever to blend unless I do this sew-saw move on the tip gently with a 240 grit...but is this correct?
formations:eek: IMO are the most difficult to blend of ever tip i have used. Dont worry hun, if you can end up perfecting your blending on these..you can do it with any tip:lol:

formations:eek: IMO are the most difficult to blend of ever tip i have used. Dont worry hun, if you can end up perfecting your blending on these..you can do it with any tip:lol:
Thank you Melody, that really makes me feel better :lol:

Latest posts

Back