Blonde to Red... advise please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candis.3

Reaction score
Hi I have a client who is naturally ginger ,who has bleach highlights, hair is quite dry on the ends she wants to go red on thursday and have a cut,
as a newly qualified nvq level 2 stylist i really feel that colouring (spesh red ) is not my forte!
Can i please have some tips and advise on how to acheive a nice even red
i have advised her that a dark red or reddy brown is the best option to avoid it fading so quickly ......

was going to use koleston but if there are other products which u guys think are better i will go with something new!!!
:D look forward to hearing from you xxxxx

i use wella koleston and HATE the reds... they are so orangy!
my favourite red at the minute (the florence and machine red) i use goldwell 6rv...

anyway i would pre pig copper obviuosly to stop it going PINK!! and away you go with your red!
it will fade though, all reds do. on any colour but especially on a blonde.
good luck x

Hi. For a red that lasts, I would:

Spray the hair with a porosity balancer and dry it in.

Pre- pig with one of the following methods:

Equal quantities of red mixtone and warm water;

Red colour mousse (not indola as it has metallic salts);

Red semi with 2%

I would then dry this into the hair.

Apply your target colour mixed with your desired base/depth and 3%. You may need to adjust the mix if you have a noticeable virgin hair regrowth. If it is a large amount, I would add in a little more base to the root mix to prevent 'root glow'

You will still get some fade but I find using Schwatzkopf colour save shampoo a life saver with reds. Tell your client to apply regular home treatments, don't over wash (dry shampoo!) and minimal straightening if she wants to retain that red.

I am loving 9/888 in Igora Royal at the moment for the daring and 6/888 for the not so!

Latest posts

Back