Blondor cream bleach reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarplumfaery

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

I have a regular client who comes every five weeks for a scalp bleach and tone. The last two times her face has gone bright red. After the first time this happened we patch tested prior (which I don't normally do with bleach just with the toner) but I wanted to make sure as she had gone quite red. Nothing unusual apart from obvious mild irritation due to the pre lightener so I went ahead today and did the treatment.

Well, today her palms went red and itchy, her face and neck red so as soon as that happened I removed the lightener yet her scalp was absolutely fine. No blisters or sign of irritation.

I use a latex collar to prevent seepage when colouring as I have a home salon and portable basin but when I removed the collar we both noticed what looked like sunburn where the collar had touched her skin. Could this be the reason for the reaction - a latex allergy? It's so strange. As it's only been the last two times I've used the collar I'm starting to think maybe this is what's been happening.

Can anyone help in this situation at all?

Thanks in advance.

As a latex allergy sufferer yes, this could be what it is. It isnt to be taken lightly, as you can go into anaphylaxis from latex

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a latex allergy sufferer, I wear vinyl gloves and don't use a cutting collar - just in case.

Obviously have not taken this lightly at all so really appreciate your help.

Did you both have similar symptoms to those that I explained? My client had never been aware before of this but maybe she has not worn latex? By the time she left it had completely calmed down and was no longer red but I'm at a loss what to do next as she loves her blond hair and is a base 4/5 so I wouldn't achieve the colour results without pre-lightener.

I'm going to call wella and not use the latex neck protector anymore. My cutting collar isn't latex or the gloves I use for colouring.

My clients well-being is most important and I had not thought about the collar before until today. It's freaked me out as I'm always so careful.

Hey sugar plum, lots of people are allergic to persulfates (the oxidizing agents in bleach) x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like latex allergy and she will likely have a worse reaction each and every time she is exposed to latex.

Adam, I just googled ammonium persulfate allergy and that does sound probable as well. Redness and itching etc...

I rang my client just to check on her and see if all the symptoms have gone and they have completely. I patch tested with blondor cream and 6% as well as the toner as an extra precaution but nothing. Only with the global application did the reaction occur. Thanks everyone for your responses

I don't think it will be the bleach because she didn't have the reaction with the skin test so try avoiding the latex collar maybe ask her to put on a latex glove to see if she has a reaction x

I don't think it will be the bleach because she didn't have the reaction with the skin test so try avoiding the latex collar maybe ask her to put on a latex glove to see if she has a reaction x

Skin testing doesn't actually cover you 100% from a reaction. You can be tested and still reaction, it's just a precaution. Also putting a latex glove on a client who may be allergic is like saying give a peanut to a nut allergy suffer and see what happens.

If your allergic to ammonion persulphates, you can get bleach just with potassium persulphates in it but you probably would compromise on the lift instead, a bit pointless really. Could she be allergic to the toner?

Now u put it like that it was bit silly lol

Latest posts

Back