Booking Keeping Course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impulse1976

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I am due to start a city & guild book keeping course next week. Its at level one and is for 15 weeks. Has anyone else done this course so that they can do their own books?

Hi Geeks,
I am due to start a city & guild book keeping course next week. Its at level one and is for 15 weeks. Has anyone else done this course so that they can do their own books?
I qualified 3 years ago from my college course (age 39 !)
I did manual first, then 2nd year I did manual Level 2 alongside Sage, these courses give background knowledge ready to change career, but nothing like the hands on experience you gain, I now work with Sage, but the knowledge of the manual is irreplaceable...I do my partners accounts for his pc shop and I will do my own accounts when I qualify in Nails and do my own tax return

Also, if you don't want to do Sage, and just want the accounts knowledge for your business, there is a disc called Dosh Cash, it's simple to use and great for small businesses, I think Lloyds Bank actually give them out free if you set an account with them
Good luck XxxX

I did a double entry book keeping course one evening a week for a year but don't use that system at all. When I started working for myself my accountant said as long as all my record-keeping was clear (ie keep all receipts and number them, write everything down that goes in and out of the business in a cash book, etc ) then a book keeping course was unnecessary as I was a sole trader so not exactly like doing the books for Marks and Spencers. . . if you are about to start up on your own(?) why not see an accountant first and see what they say regarding keeping your books before you pay for this course

Hi Geeks,

Send me a pm sam please
i want to know where you are doing this and how much it costs,
this is something i could do with going on,
i have had myself in a tizz trying to do mine,
need to hand it all over to the accountant now for him to sort it out,
i know im cutting it fine and could end up with one if i don't get a move on :eek:

I did a double entry book keeping course one evening a week for a year but don't use that system at all. When I started working for myself my accountant said as long as all my record-keeping was clear (ie keep all receipts and number them, write everything down that goes in and out of the business in a cash book, etc ) then a book keeping course was unnecessary as I was a sole trader so not exactly like doing the books for Marks and Spencers. . . if you are about to start up on your own(?) why not see an accountant first and see what they say regarding keeping your books before you pay for this course
This is good advice, BUT make sure you are recommended an accountant..my fiance is a sole trader who used an accountant to do all his bookkeeping, and they missed off a few years of cheque and cash receipts...I wasn't with him at the time, so I don't know the details, but he got charged £27,000 by Inland Revenue (I was with him then :mad:), luckily for him, he had saved most of this income, but had no idea of the figures they were given him...just research your accountant

Send me a pm sam please
i want to know where you are doing this and how much it costs,
this is something i could do with going on,
i have had myself in a tizz trying to do mine,
need to hand it all over to the accountant now for him to sort it out,
i know im cutting it fine and could end up with one if i don't get a move on :eek:
If you want to do this purely for YOUR business, look into home study..I honestly taught myself better at home using my text book from college than I did listening to my drippy tutor, my best tutor was a stand in we had for a few weeks, he was a retired accountant. I raced ahead of the class and took my exams early, because the book was so self explanatory

If you want to do this purely for YOUR business, look into home study..I honestly taught myself better at home using my text book from college than I did listening to my drippy tutor, my best tutor was a stand in we had for a few weeks, he was a retired accountant. I raced ahead of the class and took my exams early, because the book was so self explanatory

Yes it is just for my own business and probably my other halves too,
i have done the biggest part of it myself and found the simplex D book very easy to use,
the accountant can do the rest, (hes ace)
but i like to know everything i can about things lol

Yes it is just for my own business and probably my other halves too,
i have done the biggest part of it myself and found the simplex D book very easy to use,
the accountant can do the rest, (hes ace)
but i like to know everything i can about things lol
Sounds like you got it sussed (nothing wrong with wanting to know everything you can about things !!!!)

Latest posts

Back