Boris Johnson said go to work if you have to!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#LUCYSQUIRES

Reaction score
I have been put into a position where I am not entitled to any financial help from the Government through any of the scheme's.
This has been the case since lockdown for me and I haven't received any type of income at all. I have tried 5 times now to call HMRC and have spent hours on hold just to be told I am not eligible anything. I still have outgoings from my bank but nothing going in. HMRC have said it is because I registered as self employed at the end of February 2020!! I am rapidly running out of options. Has anybody else been put in this situation and if so is there anything I can do?
THANKS EVERYONE HOLD YOUR HOLDING ON IN THERE.xx

Such a stressful time... have you spoken to your bank about the bounce bank loan? You can borrow up to 25% of last years income, the interest rate is very low and no payments for 12months... I think that’s the details, but could help you out while nothing is coming in maybe? As long as you can afford the loan repayments after a year of course. Obviously not a decision to be taken lightly x

Ah... just noticed that you have only been registered since February so I guess no self employed income for last year, so that may not be any good. If you haven’t already though, talk to your bank and see if you can freeze any payments for a while so you have less outgoings... the thought of talking to banks terrifies me but they are actually really helpful... good luck. I wish I could help you further x

Thankyou for your reply and advice Ruby S. Its a very difficult time for so many people in our industry. I opened up my private salon 2 weeks before lockdown and then had to shut. Its in my garden in an outhouse cost me a lots of money to get it kitted out so currently repaying that too. I am not open to the general public and its appointment only and 121. have all the PPE in place so its just a waiting game now as it is for everyone. I'm just utterly saddend and very stressed that I have been put in a position like this.

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through this stress. My advice is get yourself a job, any job, part-time. Without any reliable money coming in, you can’t think straight.

if you can’t find a job, think of other things you can do to raise cash. It maybe that you offer yourself as a domestic cleaner or try and sell stuff on eBay.

Have you tried claiming benefits? It’s not much but it helps.

There’s nothing to stop you engaging with potential customers for virtual services. Do all the marketing you were going to do and be very responsive online. You can demonstrate how to do at home treatments and talk about the benefits of the products you’ve chosen, to create excitement for after lockdown lifts. I’ve been selling retail products and offering virtual consultations, to supervise clients using them, and demoing on myself.

There’s no reason why you can’t develop a much more personal, bespoke experience for clients which starts before they arrive in your salon, with an online consultation, wraps round their face to face experience to follow up with virtual follow up consultationat home,

Sell bounceback gift cards at a discount - say £100 for £80 and think about your niche - offering exclusive treatments for those staying away from public places for instance.

The corporate businesses which rely on employees are not doing anything at present because they’ve furloughed their people. This gives the little guys a chance to build market share.

Latest posts

Back