Boss says Shellac ruins nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mommabear

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Im not shellac trained, but with all you lovely lot i think i could be haha
Anyway onto mypoint, i work in a salon and use gel polishes instead, however when a client comes into me an goes oooohhh no im not having extensions or this or that they ruin my nails, i politely say, things like this sould never ruin ur nails its the tech/bad aftercare (hard to diferenciate when they havent originally come to me, but after a few sessions with me they see a big difference, not blowing my own trumpet honest :p) anywho, i had sumone in for a shellac soak off and my boss goes how r ur nails underneath? The lady said fine there really good, but my boss says shellac ruins ur nails really bad!!!!!!!!!!! As im not shellac trained it doesnt bug me as much i know it will you shellacers, i must repeat myself to clients etc about things that will damage or things that wont everyday im in work as, like others, i dont want people being put off by sumthing that i can do and it not ruin there nails. How can i say to my boss the next time she mentions it that shellac doesnt ruin ur nails? And what can i say to make her believe me? like facts? i know u dont file off u soak off shellac, theres no buffing of the natural nail plate, but thats all i know (like i said im not trained in shellac) obviously not doing it when shes just said it to a client and there then being an awkward atmosphere and me being told off lol

Sorry for the long post
Thanks geeks xoxoxox

PS i LOVE my job and my boss is amazing, its the first place ive gone to and actually looked forward to going to work, so for me its a bit of a sticky situation i dont want to ruin the mood, our salon is great, we all get along and have good fun with our clients etc xx

Have you asked your boss to explain to you how she *thinks* Shellac damages your nails?

A couple of weeks ago, I trained in CND Shellac™ and CND Brisa™ Lite Smoothing Gel, during the whole process from pep, application to removal there is zero buffing of the nail plate. The chemical composition actually promotes the care of the natural nail with their tiny tunnels that allow the award winning SolarOil to reach the nail plate and condition the natural nail. Nails do not breath, however, conditioning them is great!

Wonder whether your boss is being somewhat protective of her own business, in that her salon doesn't offer CND Shellac™, so try and keep clients with her, she asserts that Shellac damages nails???

Good luck x

I get this all the time - 'My friend had Shellac and it ruined her nails' and whenever you ask how they had it removed they've either a) buffed it off or
b) picked it off. I say if Shellac ruined their nails its down to 1 of 2 things - either it wasn't Shellac to begin with or they have removed it incorrectly. I think you could just say to your boss 'I asked my friend who does Shellac about it ruining your nails, and she said it's usually if it's removed incorrectly that the nails get ruined'!!! I use 'friends' for lots of conversation starters! Hope that helps x

I think you should just say to your boss, maybe it isn't a good idea to slate any of the UV cured Polish systems that are out there, as you use one and clients aren't daft, if one 'ruins' your nails then surely they will think they all do ! Bad for her business.

Thanks im definately gonna have to say something, as i dont like slating products i dont really know anything about xx

I think you should just say to your boss, maybe it isn't a good idea to slate any of the UV cured Polish systems that are out there, as you use one and clients aren't daft, if one 'ruins' your nails then surely they will think they all do ! Bad for her business.

Totally agree Izzi!

I wasn't quite clear on whether your boss means that CND Shellac (the brand) ruins your nails or if shellac (generic for gel nails) ruins your nails. If the latter, then you've got a huge problem because "shellac" is a huge part of the nail industry market and if he believes this, then she is cutting herself off from a big and growing part of the market. If she means CND Shellac, well that's a problem as well, especially since CND Shellac's big selling point is no damage. And I think the other posters are correct, saying this about one type will cause people to think that they all cause damage. Moreover, I think that dissing another product, especially an industry leader like CND Shellac, sounds more like an excuse to most clients. It sounds like an excuse for why you're not using it.
Do you think your boss really believes it? Or is it her excuse for not using CND Shellac? Is she dissing Shellac as a way to explain why you use a different brand?

Latest posts

Back