Bridal makeup: custom mixing foundation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Lady Powderpuff~

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am in the process of researching the best products to buy for my new mobile bridal makeup business.

In order to keep initial costs down a little I would love your thoughts on this: would it work to buy just 4 good quality liquid foundations to start with? I was thinking the lightest shade, the darkest shade and 2 in between. Has anyone done something similar and mixed the shades together to suit your bride?

Otherwise it looks like my foundations alone could cost an arm and a leg, not to mention weigh my case down!

Thank you xx

Following as I am interested in this too. I'm looking to do a bridal makeup course. Any recommendations? X

I'm interested in this too.x

Are you looking for liquid or cream foundations?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well, I was thinking liquid (to start with) as it tends to suit most people, in my experience.

To be honest I have lots of fantastic products on my list for eyes, cheeks, lips etc but I'm struggling with which foundations to purchase that won't end up costing an absolute fortune, as well as being a 'not enough space in makeup box' issue.
If anyone can suggest a 'capsule' foundation kit, I would be very grateful.

Thank you x

I tend to use mostly cream foundations. I use mehron hd. It's a really lovely foundation and is a bargain at 8.90 for a 30g pot, or you can get a sample palette of 12 colours which is what I have and I just top it up as I need to. (They're not very easy get over here, I got mine from the states)

What's your budget? Avon's ideal flawless has rave reviews, wayne goss (gossmakeupartist on youtube) says apart from mufe it's the only other true hd liquid foundation on the market. The pixiwoo girls really rate it too. It's on offer at the moment for £7.50 for 30ml instead of £12. I just got my new avon book through today lol. I'm going to get 2 light shades and 2 medium, to try it out. If I like it I will add darker shades at a later date. I don't tend to work on darker skin tones often....

Thank you so much, that's fantastic. I will try the Avon ones. I want to use top quality stuff but don't have the budget sadly, to buy pots and pots of all the shades of Armani (for example).

If Avon performs and lasts well, and is ok to use with flash photography then I can't ask for more than that, and as long as the bride is happy, then I'm happy.

Thank you ever so much again, this website is brilliant!

sorry, battery on my phone was about to die!! Lol.

If I do need to work on a darker skin tone then I just buy what I need when I need it. 3 years asbeing a MUA and I have one indian client and one black client. Foundation doesn't last forever, it will go off. 2 year limit I think, maybe one. I can't quite remember :o

Get some samples from make up counters, see what you like. What of you buy 6 foundations and hate them? You're stuck with them!

Do counters usually give samples? That's a great idea if they do. I think I will go and ask this weekend.

I know, that's one if my worries, I don't want bottles of foundation going off in my case if I don't use them. A waste if makeup and money. Especially being a new business I ding expect to be fully booked straight away.

Samples sound great.

Sorry, I mean I 'don't' expect to be fully booked...! Silly ipad!

Thanks again.

It's always worth asking :)

Thank you for the tips with Avon, I'm a beauty therapist (qualified in make up) and have 4 brides booked in this year already but I just can't afford all the Mac foundations etc!x

I have just checked out the Avon website, the description of the product sounds very promising. There are rave reviews on their primer too, as well as their gel eyeliner pencils-see customers comments on the website. A professional makeup artist has commented and it's very positive.

Best of luck everyone x

Is it the gelshock liner? I can't remember what it's called... but yeah really good :) Avon products are great. Honestly, you don't to fork out hundreds, even thousands! for makeup. It's easy to want a full kit straight away, but unless you have a load of money saved up it's not possible for most of us mere mortals!

If you haven't already get a mac pro membership. It's £25 a year, you need to send them photo ID and a biz card and another piece of proffesional ID (certificate, comp card there's quite a few options), but you get a whopping 40% discount. You don't have to have a make up qualification, but you do need to prove you're a working makeup artist. Best £25 I spend every year :) xx

How can you prove your a working MUA without proving a qualification? I may try the Avon foundations too x

They'll accept a business card with your details and job title on and a composite card :)

What is a composite card? (I'm not qualified yet but looking into training so good to find out about this type of thing fur the future)x

It's just like a postcard with your details on and some photos of your work. You can get them on vista print x

I prefer mixing foundation colours to get an exact match.
You might need to have a mixture of yellow and pink based foundations so that you can suit all clients?

Buying a few shades of the same foundation is no good. One foundation does not fit all skin types.

Latest posts

Back