Bridal makeup: custom mixing foundation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my makeup artistry but mainly do hair and nail art! But when I do have makeup clients I actually meet with them discuss there own makeup and advise on what they may need to buy and then do it with their own make up! As I only do it once or twice a year at the minute I haven't invested in a kit! I charge next to nothing for it as they have to provide the make up, mainly do tutorials for people or wedding day makeup! For those on a budget who have no clue how to apply makeup correctly etc they are more than happy going this! Though if I was doing makeup more I would suggest you bite the bullet and buy a good range of colours and types for different skin! But there is nothing wrong with mixing colours but you do need to have ones for oily dry normal and ones with different pigments like the yellow/pink etc

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Bridal makeup is my main business and I never buy the full range of colours in the foundations I pick , l often take the palest , the darkest and a few in between , and mix to get the right shade for my client .

I carry around 5/6 different foundation ranges as it depends on skin type / finish etc, but a good one to start that I would say works well for most skin types are Estée Lauder double wear LIGHT , and Giorgio Armani Luminous silk . But everyone ends up with their own preferences. I also love mac studio sculpt, nars sheer glow for dryers skins and Laura Mercier silk creme for an oily skins .

Coming back to samples if you type your postcode into "find an Avon rep near you" they might be able to order some samples of foundation for you if you ask them. I've only just started doing Avon so I haven't seen the ordering system yet but I know they do loads of samples of other things and my friend who used to do Avon said she always used to get foundation samples as they're the hardest thing to buy without testing, so it's worth asking them. You might have one or two reps in your area so if the first one doesn't know what you're on about try another one until you find one who can help. :)

SCIENCE ALERT Also while one foundation brand might not suit everyone for day-to-day wear, if someone's just going to wear it for a few hours it probably doesn't matter whether it leaves their skin a tiny bit greasy or dry or whatnot as they aren't going to be getting married every day so as long as it looks ok for the day/in photos and doesn't cause any bad reactions, it doesn't matter if it's the exact brand they would buy that perfectly does everything they'd want on a daily basis (e.g. some people choose their foundation based on whether it's easy to remove - is this necessarily a deal breaker when it comes to their wedding day?? It could be if they're super fussy but probably not the most important thing on their mind as a bride compared to looking amazing). I would personally stick with one brand for mixing as they would have similar ingredients - I currently use L'oreal infallible as I find they mix quite well - a lot better than if I try to mix a L'oreal with a Benefit foundation, as the ingredients are not necessarily miscible. It's all to do with what emulsifier they've used to get the oil and water to mix for the base and whether the pigmentation actually presents as the same colour or not in a different base, as different bases can affect how the pigment ingredients appear because what you're seeing is a combination of how the ingredients have reacted with one another and the colour comes from how the particles reflect light and what colour light it reflects, so mixing brands might not always work very well. Speaking of which it could potentially be dangerous to mix different brands for example in an extreme case using some common ingredients in cosmetics, if one has CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) in it and another has any acid (lactic acid, stearic acid, etc), they could react and produce CaOH which is a strong alkali in the tiny amount of water you'd have in a foundation (it has two forms depending if it's liquid or aqueous), which could leave you being sued by someone for permanent disfigurement - sorry to bore you with science, I'm a qualified chemistry teacher in the middle of a career change to MUA. As someone else has said you will need representation of pink and yellow bases - but you may need to mix these together anyway if you have a neutral toned client as people are not necessarily 100% warm or cool toned it's a spectrum just like your skin colour is.

I have also heard good things about the Avon primer but haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I did see one really bad review of it on the Avon website from someone over 50 so maybe it's only good on a certain age range but then how many over 50 brides do you see in an average month? Maybe 1 a year? If that?

Also from experience I bought the Boots 17 Photo Ready Foundations in a range of 4 shades recently (they were on offer, I should have known there would be a reason) and they were absolutely terrible - in natural light they came out green and that's not what you want someone to be seeing in the mirror when you're putting their makeup on!!! Luckily I was just doing a portfolio pic for my BTEC but still ended up using L'Oreal instead - only problem with the L'Oreal is it's rubbish for flash photography. Personally I'm going to take the advice from another thread and invest in HD foundation pallettes instead unless anyone knows any major downsides??
Sorry to ramble but hope some of this is helpful!
Torrie xx

Thank you so much for your advice. It is all very helpful x

Hi everyone

I am in the process of researching the best products to buy for my new mobile bridal makeup business.

In order to keep initial costs down a little I would love your thoughts on this: would it work to buy just 4 good quality liquid foundations to start with? I was thinking the lightest shade, the darkest shade and 2 in between. Has anyone done something similar and mixed the shades together to suit your bride?

Otherwise it looks like my foundations alone could cost an arm and a leg, not to mention weigh my case down!

Thank you xx

I use MAC face and body foundation. And when I started I also bought just 5 foundations. As they have the C and N shades of the same numbers 1-9. You can mix foundations with the same brand and consistency. In make up school they should have taught you this or beauty college??????

Reason you use Mac face and body is beauty for photos hoots you can't have SPF in your foundation or the face flashes white in photographs. This foundation you can build up , so later it. It doesn't give you that fake cakes look that I think makes you look like a cheap playmate of the year look , it's natural and the aim of bridal make up is to enhance natural beauty. Which is completely different to fashion make up or matrix dance make up.

Yet again I am sure as a qualified therapist and make up artist you know all This so I apologise for the long message.

Good luck all the best x

Beauty at your finger tips!

Thank you for your reply xx

Unfortunately in the courses I have done (NVQ 2 & 3, plus a separate makeup course) there was no training at all on mixing foundations. In fact most of the makeup techniques I have built up are through practise practise and more practise, so mainly self taught I guess you could say.

Thank you again for your advice, very helpful indeed. I am applying for a MAC pro card to get a discount and will buy some Face and Body and have fun mixing!

Best wishes xx

How can you prove your a working MUA without proving a qualification? I may try the Avon foundations too x

In South Africa you need to either be a model in the fashion industry or a beautician or make up artist. So you the rules are universal because my Mac card works in uk and USA . Best value for money!

Thank you for your reply xx

Unfortunately in the courses I have done (NVQ 2 & 3, plus a separate makeup course) there was no training at all on mixing foundations. In fact most of the makeup techniques I have built up are through practise practise and more practise, so mainly self taught I guess you could say.

Thank you again for your advice, very helpful indeed. I am applying for a MAC pro card to get a discount and will buy some Face and Body and have fun mixing!

Best wishes xx

Actually at beauty college I did the 3 year dipl they were useless with make up yor right. I did another year at make up school where she took us to ramp shoots and tv shoots and we worked on models and hectic schedules. They trainned in London can't remember the school name.
Well known make up school.
I like face body also the shelf life is good. I have kept mine in cool place for 3 years and it's good.

If you use the Mac you start with c1, 3,5,9
But in uk most people are n undertone where here a lot of Indian ladies so we are c. But just start with 5 and build from there.

Also you can do mature clients I done 65year olds and the less thick it is the less ages clients look. And it's also fine for younger clients, with darker skin tones be very very careful not to use the primer with glow in it or they have a grey completion. I made that mistake one! They don't teach you that!

If it's bridal, get the Graftobian HD Glamour Creme palettes x

I've never used the Avon myself but I do use the Mehron HD it's the only foundation I use. The 12 shade pallet is great for all skin tones and types. With the cream it's great for full coverage and I love using it with a wet sponge for those lucky enough to only need a light coverage. But I'll warn you it has been known to dry out the normal to lightly dryer skins complexions. Always moisturize and use a good primer. Sadly in Canada it can be very hard to find as we'll so I need to order from the states.

If it's bridal, get the Graftobian HD Glamour Creme palettes x

I have been meaning to try these for a while. Which one/ones exactly do you have and where did you but them from please?

Latest posts

Back