Bride requesting occasional makeup service instead of bridal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy

Reaction score
Hi Folks

As in the title, this bride doesn't want to pay for a trial and doesn't want to pay for bridal makeup, she would prefer the cheaper option of occasional makeup.

I've explained the difference in the services, timings and the importance of being prepared to ensure a smooth wedding morning, as well as my terms which are that brides must have a trial.

This is the first time in years of doing makeup that I've been asked to do the cheaper option for a bride. She's only just got in touch and the wedding is next week so my gut is that she isn't really bothered but there is also the chance that if I took the job on then she could be a royal pain in the backside and I'd be really mad at myself for giving in. There will be 3 makeups in total.

What would you do?

I don't do makeup however just a suggestion. Do you show a portfolio of your work/ have a gallery on your website. I know this doesn't cover everything you explained however I wonder if perhaps if clients saw the difference , maybe there's a small possibility they'd be convinced to go with bridal as opposed to occasional? This may not be a helpful suggestion at all. Xx

Also perhaps get her to sign a disclaimer or something which states that as she hasn't had a trial you cannot be held accountable on the day or something? Just thinking aloud here

Have you seen her at all?

Thanks for your replies, to give you some more info:

I haven't seen the bride at all, she would be a new client so I have no clue as to her look or personality.

I do have a portfolio but the makeup standard is the same across the board for all applications, I use airbrush and quality products for all clients, they leave with their required look and are photo ready so this wouldn't really make a difference.

I would definitely get her to pay in full and sign a form prior to the day as I am worried about what could go wrong i.e. potential reactions (haven't had one yet but it could happen), time slots, service expectations etc.

Maybe if you invited her in for a chat, face to face, then you might be able to explain your reasons for a trial and she could explain what she wants. It's worth a try. You could tell her that it's a patch test if you think she may understand that better.
It's a big thing to have someone do your make up for your wedding that you have never met, so she obviously trusts you. Win her over with your expertise!

I would do it. I'd do it exactly as you would for occasion makeup. Sorry but if she's not willing to pay for a trial then she doesn't get the extra services :)

Thank you everyone :)

Ch-ela I have tried my best to explain the difference to her via a lengthy email but she is still only interested in the cheaper option, I've never had a bride contact me so close to the wedding before either so its all new to me today.

I have accepted her request for occasional makeup but only if she agrees to my conditions regarding payment, time slots etc. so I shall see if she agrees.

Bridal makeup can be pressure central as it is so if she does agree then I'll be praying for a nice, chilled out bride on the day.

I have had this in my mind before that someone may ask this.
Are you mobile? This would be my first problem. I offer mobile for brides but not for anything else so firstly I would say she would have to come to me. I would then do their make up like I do for special occasion. A lovely make up based on a look they want and with some consultation. I would do the same for the others. I would request payment in advance. At the end of the day they could have just asked for special occasion make up and had it done. She has been honest, so you have the option of refusing or just doing some make ups!
At the end if the day my bridal service is probably like yours. A real service. This is just some make up for someone who happens to be getting married.

Good luck x

Yes I'm mobile squidgernetball and that was one of my considerations - that she had been totally honest with me and I appreciate that.

And also you hit the nail on the head - the fact that its just some makeup seems a shame for such a special day x

I actually had a client who walked down the aisle with NO MAKE UP ON!!!!! I mean wtf! If you look at it that way, your lady may be really pushing the boat out!
Vic x

OMG! That is taking it to another level completely ha ha x

I would definitely do it, but I would want payment in advance of confirming the booking.

I had a bride once that just couldn't make the trial due to being hospitalised, not her fault, but I made her aware that what she got on the day was based on my expertise and there would be no time to make changes due to her preference.

Turn up, do the job then go. No problem. If she complains on the day tell her she was advised against not taking a trial and that you have completed your obligations.

There are weddings and there are weddings.
Close friends a a small registry office perhaps? I would just want special occasion make up.

She is a bride she is getting married that's wedding make up which is priced as wedding make-up

Do you think when she gets her pictures and the make-up isn't of a bridal standard she will tell people she only paid for the basics???

Noooo she will tell people who you are and that you didn't do a proper job

This is about her saving money and working a fly one

I've seen this before and these customers will break your heart

None of us are that desperate for business that we start to chop and change and bend our services

You know what you do hopefully you do it well and therefore its priced that way

I have seen these wedding parties that haggle over prices and they are always always hard work as they don't value you or the quality of your work

Hold your ground on your prices and if she values it she will book you

and no harm but honestly who ever heard of a wedding - where people spend £thousands and then be a cheap skate over an extra £10 for make-up???? lol!!

I'm sorry girls this has really irritated me lol If we don't value what we do and price accordingly then the customers won't!!!

Let me at her I'll tell her for you haha

I would stand my ground and charge my bridal rates, she is trying to rip you off.

Just image what a fool you will feel if you walk in to house on the wedding day and she has a expensive wedding dress, veil and headpiece hanging up in all it's glory.

Then the photographer arrives! Do you think he or she will be charging 'special occasion rates' or the wedding venue, I don't think so!!!

If a bride doesn't want a trial, I charge them extra as it's more time and hassle in the day.

Do not let clients dictate your services.

Thank you everyone :)

Ch-ela I have tried my best to explain the difference to her via a lengthy email but she is still only interested in the cheaper option, I've never had a bride contact me so close to the wedding before either so its all new to me today.

I have accepted her request for occasional makeup but only if she agrees to my conditions regarding payment, time slots etc. so I shall see if she agrees.

Bridal makeup can be pressure central as it is so if she does agree then I'll be praying for a nice, chilled out bride on the day.

Tbh I doubt she will book, I bet someone has told get she needs an MUA and she is now panicking at the last minuet and it's clearly not financially something she wants to or can spend money on.

I don't take bookings from last minuet brides due past experience they have all been problematic or been time wasters so I avoid these type of brides like the plague.

There are weddings and there are weddings.
Close friends a a small registry office perhaps? I would just want special occasion make up.

It all sounds so last minute I agree with this, it could be a tiny affair and she wants to look nice but its no big deal, why don't you fish a bit see if it's large or small, church,hotel,registry? Then you will know exactly what you are dealing with.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's a bit unfair that people are saying she's trying it on etc, she might only be having a small registry service and not have a lot of money to spend, not everybody that gets married has thousands to spend, and not all weddings are big and fancy! I would talk to her and find out what kind of wedding she is having first and then decide from there, but I'm sure she would be more than happy with normal make-up from you if that's what she's asking for x

Well I am honestly shocked at a lot of the replies on this thread.

If I was getting married again it would be a very small intimate thing, just a few friends (because you have to have witnesses) and a big party afterwards for all the family & friends to celebrate. I hated people staring at me when I said my vowes & never wanted them there the first time round, so I'd make sure that I got a very quiet service if I ever did it again.

I don't wear make up unless I'm going out (and then it's usually very minimal) but I would want a little bit of make up so I looked nice in my photo's, I would be happy with occasion make up applied by a professional who can advise me on what would suit me & my outfit for the occasion & therefore I'd ask why I should pay more?

I wouldn't be bothered about having a trial, I wouldn't be a pain on the day, I would just sit back & be happy to let someone make me look nice on my wedding day.

Why does the fact this bride is being honest and saying it's her wedding have to go against her? She could have said she was attending someone elses wedding and then you'd have been happy to book her in for occasion make up but because it's her wedding she MUST be trying it on. :eek:

Try to remember that there are many different people out there that want different services, not everyone is a drama queen or an OCD bridzilla.

So long as she knows what the service she is asking for is, she understands what she is NOT getting (the difference between the occasion service & the bride service) then take her money & do the service. :Love:

Latest posts

Back