Bride requesting occasional makeup service instead of bridal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. A lot of missing the point going on here! It is about giving the client what they want and they might want no frills makeup. .. especially if they dont wear much or any normally or don't have strong preferences on it.

I've done 'bridal' makeup without a trial and it was literally foundation, concealer and mascara. She didnt want more as she never wears a scrap of it. She was just nagged into having 'her bags covered up' for the photos by her mum and sister. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow when I started this thread I never expected so many different views on this subject, it has been an education.

I haven't posted for a few days as I've literally had to restrain myself from answering in the heat of the moment and I didn't want to do that as although I don't agree with some of you, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I have agreed to offer the bride occasion makeup, I don't feel like I'm being ripped off in the slightest as my rates reflect my products and time and I'd feel like I was ripping off the bride if I pushed a trial onto her that she didn't want. I know that I can make her look fab in the time allowed and all of my makeup clients get the best products that last all day anyway, there is no difference in the products I use whether they book bridal or occasion makeup. They also leave camera ready as I believe that occasion makeup usually does entail having pictures taken too.

The difference this bride will experience is that there will be no special treatment so no trial, no extended makeup time, no skincare information, no samples, no testing of different looks etc. She has been prepped about the difference and she's happy to continue with the service that she will receive.

I'm glad that she was able to be honest with me from the start and in return I've been honest back. I would hate to know that a bride booked me but just asked for occasion makeup as she was too scared to let me know - Jemima I really felt for you when I read your post.

I think that sometimes as MUAs we put too pressure on ourselves to create the 'perfect bride', it can be a stressful job at times and for the that I love the safety of the trial as some brides do need the full bridal service. BUT when the bride just wants to be herself with a little bit of help it makes sense to meet her needs by offering a less tailored service.

My appointment is on Friday so I'll let you know how it goes :biggrin: x

I did my own wedding makeup, I must be cheaper than cheap :rolleyes:

This is why I would be most comfortable doing it because I DON'T screw up, end of.

I do a lot of special occasion make-up where the client will be photographed a lot, so I will use many of the same products that I would use for bridal.

I do a lot of special occasion make-up where the client needs it to last for a good 12 hours +, so I use many of the same products that I would use for bridal.

I think the issue is whether or not the client is trying it on and in the booking process you can tell if a client is genuine or not.

I see no reason why someone who is either short of cash or a victim of circumstance can't have SOME make-up applied by a professional on their big day, and if you really are a professional you can assure the client of your skill and credentials and provide some top notch make-up.

Now I'm not saying that this is something I advertise that I do (who would book the bridal package if I did) but in certain exceptional circumstances, and assuming that I am free, then yes I will do it.

and if you screw up you will very publicly screw up

This is why I would be most comfortable doing it because I DON'T screw up, end of.

I do a lot of special occasion make-up where the client will be photographed a lot, so I will use many of the same products that I would use for bridal.

I do a lot of special occasion make-up where the client needs it to last for a good 12 hours +, so I use many of the same products that I would use for bridal.

I think the issue is whether or not the client is trying it on and in the booking process you can tell if a client is genuine or not.

I see no reason why someone who is either short of cash or a victim of circumstance can't have SOME make-up applied by a professional on their big day, and if you really are a professional you can assure the client of your skill and credentials and provide some top notch make-up.

Now I'm not saying that this is something I advertise that I do (who would book the bridal package if I did) but in certain exceptional circumstances, and assuming that I am free, then yes I will do it.

Oops, replied twice, not sure how I did that - sorry peeps!

My sister arranged her wedding one month in advance, her friend baked the cake, she wore a £90 dress, and she went to a makeup counter for her makeup. She doesn't wear a lot of makeup and an occasional makeup is more than enough fuss for her. She wanted as little planning and expenses as possible. I can see where this client is coming from. I doubt she will be fussy and will be happy with your professional choice.

I think if a bride was fussy... The last thing she'll skimp on is her makeup!

Oh and just for the record, me and my sister are complete opposites, I would NOT want this on my wedding day!! Haha xx

Interesting replies

I think its a case of each to their own as we all run businesses our own way, its okay for us to be different and have different business strategies

It's good as we all cater to different sections of the market and what some of us won't do others will so its good for all

I've worked hard to get and stay busy which im totally delighted with

and over the years experience and learning has helped me have a strong understanding of my own business ethos

and its just nice to now be in a position where I don't have to take business but can turn it down if I don't want to do it or if its not going to make a good profit or advance the business

I love what I do I'm passionate about it and passionate about working to my own set of standards and likewise I'm sure you ladies are

It's all good, there's work for us all

So, I went to do the makeup and I've just got back and wanted to tell you straight away how it went.

It went great! They were a lovely family who were pleased as punch with their makeup. The whole wedding had been done on a tight budget and they wanted to have a professional make them up to feel a bit different than normal so that's where I came in. They were really laid back, let me do my thing, I made sure they looked fab and everyone was happy.

This experience has opened my eyes and I've found it all really refreshing. I'm glad I took this one on, I haven't lowered my standards and I'll be more than happy to do more brides this way if that's what they would prefer x

I'm glad it went really well, goes to show everyone is different with what they want from a Mua ... Xxx

So, I went to do the makeup and I've just got back and wanted to tell you straight away how it went.

It went great! They were a lovely family who were pleased as punch with their makeup. The whole wedding had been done on a tight budget and they wanted to have a professional make them up to feel a bit different than normal so that's where I came in. They were really laid back, let me do my thing, I made sure they looked fab and everyone was happy.

This experience has opened my eyes and I've found it all really refreshing. I'm glad I took this one on, I haven't lowered my standards and I'll be more than happy to do more brides this way if that's what they would prefer x

Im so happy it all went well. Xxx

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back