Bright red nail beds, could it be overexposure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki May

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can really see it from these pictures, but I have had Shellac on my nails since doing my CND course in Sept. I always go the full 2 weeks and always remove with D Solve and never buff or scrape. The last few removals I noticed my nail beds look a bit red but this time they are bright red and the sidewalls are a bit tender.Could it be over exposure? Its definitely not staining as the tips are still white I don't work with nails at the moment and only practice on friend and family as I am waiting for an operation so I'm not really around the chemicals much. I have kept the shellac off for now to see if it calms down but I have just shaved me head and could really do with nice nails too feel girly but don't want to risk becoming allergic, or is this normal and I'm overreacting? nail.jpg

nails.jpg

I was really hoping someone could advise if I should just leave my nails or if its ok to re shellac them? Has noone seen this before. I guess the pictures don't help but they are really red and tender but the nails are still strong

I would say over exposure because mine do that too. I just wear nitrile gloves when doing other peoples nails so that the only time my skin is exposed is when I'm doing my eon nails and that's it. It's helped a LOT and I don't have it as bad now. Before I was blistering and everything. Now if I have contact with acetone or isopropyl alcohol I have a few itches for a little bit but that's nothing to what it used to be before I started wearing gloves.

*~*~*~* Saucy Sweetheart *~*~*~*

Could this be anything to do with your medical condition ? I have not seen allergy present itself like this. Usually there is itching,possibly blisters, rash etc and on the skin.

It's not impossible that you could be a bit more sensitive or your nails have become thin, but it doesn't look like any allergic reaction I've ever seen. Tenderness etc sounds like something related to a physical condition.

Could this be anything to do with your medical condition ? I have not seen allergy present itself like this. Usually there is itching,possibly blisters, rash etc and on the skin.

It's not impossible that you could be a bit more sensitive or your nails have become thin, but it doesn't look like any allergic reaction I've ever seen. Tenderness etc sounds like something related to a physical condition.

I never know with my condition but I don't think so as it's to do with my brain and it's congenial do I've always had it and I'm not on any medication. It's baffeling. They were looking really well until now. I think I may try one last set as I will have to keep them bare in hospital anyway.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

So I put shellac on them a few days ago and ouch they are sore, now I'm scared to soak them off. The only way I can describe it is that they feel tender like after you have had cheap acrylic drilled off your nails.

So I put shellac on them a few days ago and ouch they are sore, now I'm scared to soak them off. The only way I can describe it is that they feel tender like after you have had cheap acrylic drilled off your nails.

When I was in college we were having a wrap class and one type made my nail beds feel like they were burning, the tips of my fingers felt hot and were red.
I was made to take them off and wash my hands to remove any backing adhesive that could have been left.
I was told it was a reaction.

Since then I've found the same reaction when I layed my daughters flooring, adhesive backed fake wood flooring.. The first time I did flooring I also had itchy fingers and itchy skin across my shoulder blades
The second time I did some flooring for her I lost feeling in my fingertips, they were burning and bright red, I had horrendous itching across chest and shoulder blades, runny eyes and nose and itching in my throat... The same reaction as I was getting from L&P

The allergy doctors advised it was an allergic reaction, the initial burning from a nail wrap could have been a sign.

I'm not sure if that helps but wanted to share that a mild reaction can just be the feeling of burning nail beds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I was in college we were having a wrap class and one type made my nail beds feel like they were burning, the tips of my fingers felt hot and were red.
I was made to take them off and wash my hands to remove any backing adhesive that could have been left.
I was told it was a reaction.

Since then I've found the same reaction when I layed my daughters flooring, adhesive backed fake wood flooring.. The first time I did flooring I also had itchy fingers and itchy skin across my shoulder blades
The second time I did some flooring for her I lost feeling in my fingertips, they were burning and bright red, I had horrendous itching across chest and shoulder blades, runny eyes and nose and itching in my throat... The same reaction as I was getting from L&P

The allergy doctors advised it was an allergic reaction, the initial burning from a nail wrap could have been a sign.

I'm not sure if that helps but wanted to share that a mild reaction can just be the feeling of burning nail beds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was thinking it could be early earning signs.vi might take it off give my nails a break. See what happens. X

I have got to the bottom of this. I have recently been diagnosed with a wheat intolerance, so I do not eat wheat I check all food labels but I never thought to check skin/nail products. I had been at a friends house and used a non professional product on my nails that contained wheat protein just before the redness and soreness happened. How stupid. The redness gas gone now and my nails are no longer painful but they have been left very thin. So I have put on some ibx and shellac with no further problems and since been advised that yes i should also avoid using any products that contain wheat. Interesting. Xxx

I have got to the bottom of this. I have recently been diagnosed with a wheat intolerance, so I do not eat wheat I check all food labels but I never thought to check skin/nail products. I had been at a friends house and used a non professional product on my nails that contained wheat protein just before the redness and soreness happened. How stupid. The redness gas gone now and my nails are no longer painful but they have been left very thin. So I have put on some ibx and shellac with no further problems and since been advised that yes i should also avoid using any products that contain wheat. Interesting. Xxx

Interesting! Glad you got to the bottom of it!

Removed my shellac for my operation last week and its happened again! My nails must just get a bit sensitive when they have nothing on. Be getting my Shellac back on as soon as I can. x

Latest posts

Back