Brightest red without pre lightening?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charli85

Reaction score
Hi I just wanted some advice my client has dark hair about a 5/0 base and she wants a BRIGHT red. I am trained in wella and I don't think the intensive range is bright enough. I would normally do a bleach cleanse and use 77/45 colour touch but I haven't got the time. Is there any other range that would give me a bright red without pre lightening, this is a full head with some highlights through. Any advice would be appreciated especially in a different range.
Except Schwarzkopf as she doesn't like that brand!!
Thanks in advance xx

I do love a good red! In Wella kp depending on how warm or cool I want the red to be, I tend to mix 66/44 and 66/46 with 9% and once colour has developed I then emulsify, rinse, shampoo etc... Towel dry and then apply a direct tone on tone red like directions or crazy colour. Adore is also excellent for this. I have quite a few clients I use this technique on and the red stays intense for quite some time. I also recommend sulfate-free shampoo and to try not to wash hair as often.

Hello I have used Wella for 18 years and love their reds I'd agree they sometimes are not bight enough,
A great compo is
10/0 and 0/45 with 9%
Maybe if you want bright half n half,
Do you like orange red or warmer red
I love putting vampire red over top by manic panic ,

Redken will defiantly lift
R+ 30vol
Or affinage lifts like crazy too
My client is a 6 level and this is how bright it goes.. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383827457.016624.jpg

R+ 30vol
My client is a 6 level and this is how bright it goes.. View attachment 47319
Thank you for your replies! I do find wella hit and miss, I love colour touch but koleston has let me down on a few occasions!
I'm scared to do full head with 10/0 and 0/45 full head, is the coverage good?
She's a lovely client but god she will tell me if she hates it which I'm not sure is a good thing lol!
I have only used affinage in foils and wasn't too sure on coverage on full head but that picture looks amazing!!
How is it if client has a faded purple through the ends, would you suggest doing a bleach bath to get the purple out? I have a feeling it's going to take me ages!
Thank you for your advice :)

It will still look slightly darker as red + purple = blue maybe so a copper/red on the ends? You won't get that bright first time but if you do 20 vol on the heat band (roots first 1cm) and 30 on the ends wrap her hair in like 6 sections in foil to retain as much heat as you can

I have just messaged her and she's says this is too bright!! (There's no pleasing some people lol) so with first attempt and 6% will be bright but not as bright as pic and then 9% on ends using copper/red? :)

Matrix have some lovely vibrant reds. Im a base 4 and used srrv with 9%.
Came out lovely

x

Matrix srrv and other similar hi lift reds are not for on the scalp use...

It won't be as bright as this the first time- it wil be like a 8 level red- I would use 30vol especially if there is old colour

Hi
We're a matrix salon and we absolutely swear by the sr range of lifting reds they really do lift phenomonally including existing colour not just natural colour. If the client has a root, you shouldnt need to put the sr directly on the scalp - 7rr+ may be enough with a 30vol/40vol maybe? Obviously depending on the lift you're going to get on the hair ends.. I'd definitely do a strand test first to see what result you're going to get and then match up with what colour you'll need on the root.. you can usr the sr range with either 20, 30 or 40 vol.
Laura x

Magma! I was skeptical when I was using it at first, but it does wonders. The brightest red is /44.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using SalonGeek mobile app

R+ 30vol

This is gorgeous! And is this on hair that hasn't been pre lightened? What base?

This is gorgeous! And is this on hair that hasn't been pre lightened? What base?

Nope no pre lightening we did r + 30 vol on the ends the first couple of times (20 on roots) then went down to 20 vol no we just gloss it with a Demi or just 10 vol but only for 20 mins and not it's at the stage where we do roots only it stays bright no fading :)

Affinage BRed Red (or any of their other BRed lovely shades) is like majicontrast but better. Its awesome and lifts up really high with lower volumes of peroxide. This is meant to be off scalp, but you can mix it with infiniti 6.66 to make a lovely high lifting red. I used with 9% on base 3 or 4, so you could use 6% on your client.

I did my clients hair and took a bit of advice but also just went with my gut instinct,
I did affinage RED 6% at roots and 6+9% through ends in one section (painted on) and RED VIOLET same ratios in the next section. I also did some blonde foils through. Top section was zig zagged and applied 6/45 + 6/0 + 6% wella. (Colour I had left over)
I was extremely pleased with the result, the red did run into the blonde when I washed it i did warn her as i was washing it over my bath! but this always happens on her hair and it always fades quickly!
My only question now is up keep, would relights work well enough for ends or can someone recommend anything suitable. She only has it done every 3-4 months so red will fade but I don't want to keep using using affinage if it pre lightens every time.
Thanks to everyone for their advice, I love learning new things but also like to stick to what I know as I hate doing colour corrections if I can avoid it!
I will upload a pic if I can work out how to and see you think,
Thanks xx

R+ 30vol

Love that pic!! Do they do a purple & I'm guessing you didn't need to pre lighten?

Love that pic!! Do they do a purple & I'm guessing you didn't need to pre lighten?

No pre lightening but unfortunately no they only have a magenta which doesn't lift as much :( they have a rv and a 8.221 (extreme violet) u could try 1/2 1/2 with 30vol?

Don't use wella magma it will go blonde on the roots even with /44 I did foils on natural 5 with 4 artificial color the roots went blonde orange and the ends didn't even lightened everyone at work has has this problem even the rep and not just our salon

Latest posts

Back