brisa gel question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura h

Reaction score
What am i doing wrong?? I did the brisa one day course after doing l+p for a year and i have to say I love gel!! However why am i getting peeling at the free edge on some of the nails I have done a natural nail overlay on?? Does it depend on the persons nails and if they are weak, they dont overlay as well? I have been using the paint on white and making sure I cap the nails. When you have an overlay done do you still need to be careful with your hands ie wearing gloves

I also have done gel on my sisters toes and over the weekend she went in a swimming pool and on one foot the gel has peeled off. Is gel no good in chlorinated water??

thanks for any replies, I am dying to know the answer!!

Laura

im having probs with my nails when tip grows out and i end up with overlay, my nat nail is peeling away at the sides, not along the top of the free edge, but the sides
:rolleyes:
x

Hiya...all i can advise is to freeze cure 1-2 fingers at a time then when all 5 are done cure for the full 2 mins...instead of doing all 5 then full curing...capping is very important. Make sure its not applied to thin ...try a bit thicker. HTH xxx

Also remember to use cuticle oil on the free edge that is under the overlay (I hope that makes sense with all that on, under and over stuff!!). Weak nails aren't so good for overlays. You should ALWAYS be careful ie wearing gloves, regardless whether you sport enhancements on your nails or not.

I don't get on with overlays EVER, I love to pick and get my fingers between overlay and free edge, and then I :smack: myself for doing it. I can't help it I'M A PICKER!

thanks for that

do you mean with the last coat of sealer set for 10 sec for 2 nails at a time and then do full 2 minutes? (at the moment i only do the last coat of sealer for 2 minutes) and do you know about the chlorine problem???

Thanks

Laura

Chlorine in a pool shouldn't have that much effect, unless they are lifting a little already and then the water would make it worse.

you need to be curing every layer for a full 2 mins

I dont cure every layer for 2 mins, is that wrong??? maybe the toes were lifting a little to start with (they were my first ones!) Some people have kept the overlays lovely and others have really peeled on a few nails. I just loved the gels and I hope i can sort this problem quickly

Thanks

Laura

Hi

If you are new to gel's you may be a little slower with your application so do 2 nails at a time then work on the other hand while they are curing, this way your gel will not 'shrink' away from the free edge. You must cure Brisa with the Brisa lamp for the full 2 mins unless you are using the 10 second option but you still need to cure each layer for 2 mins!

Its important that gel be thoroughly cured as you can end up sensitizing your clients to gel.

Every layer needs to be cured for a full 2 mins. Are they a little cloudy, i'm sure this is a sign of undercuring

Thanks for the reply

I am using the 10 sec between each layer but are you saying that as well as this I need to do a full 2 minutes as well on each layer. Sorry to sound thick but I want to get this right. So if you do the whole hand the gel can shrink back before it is put under the lamp if you were a bit slower???

sorry mama I was typing and your reply came back at the same time!! No they are not cloudy.

Laura h said:
Thanks for the reply

I am using the 10 sec between each layer but are you saying that as well as this I need to do a full 2 minutes as well on each layer. Sorry to sound thick but I want to get this right. So if you do the whole hand the gel can shrink back before it is put under the lamp if you were a bit slower???

Hi Laura

This is what i do for a natural overlay

Prep nails
scubfresh
bonder
scrub in first layer (pink or clear) 2 nails at once 10 sec freeze
Repeat on the rest of the nails and cure for FULL 2 MINS
apply builder layer as before 2 nails at a time and 10 sec freeze
repeat on rest of nails and cure for FULL 2 MINS
at this point you can wipe away tacky layer and buff to shape if you need to and refine nails shape or straight away apply POW as before 2 nails at a time freeze do the rest of the hand and cure for FULL 2 MINS
Then apply finishing gloss.

making sure you cap the free egde well.

Hope this clarifys things for you.

Thank you so much, yes that has clarifiyed it in my mind. I was not curing it properly. I also do not add a builder layer on a natural nail overlay only the first scrubbed in layer is this also incorrect and that has caused the peeling problems?????

Yes that is correct. Each layer needs to be cured for a full 2 mins, using the 10 sec timer only "locks" the gels to prevent further movement and dosn't fully cure it. If you were to do a full hand without "locking" any nail (i usually do two then lock and then the other two and cure full hand for 2 mins) the gel may move.

im doing everything i can think of, cure for correct time, capping really well to try and avoid this happening

but it only happens when the tips have grown out and i am left with just overlays, they are fine at free edge but natural nail peels away at the sides (where the smile starts) and then the corners while the free edge 'edge' remains ok???
xxx

This could be caused by lots of things Serendipity - your client having very flexible natural nails which doesn't support the gel as well as a tip, your client having their fingers in their mouth and cracking the gel with the teeth. You need to cap this part too, if you can get to it as it's a very weak area.

I used to have a terrible mental block with overlays, but now I pretend that they are the same as a tip and apply the same (only a little thinner in zone 2). It's so easy to get a mental block on something and then you get stressed about it before you start (I still can't do French Manicures, I have such a mental blcok with these, I fail before I even hold their hand because I am so negative in my mind about it).

i think it may just be my nails-its not happening on clients-yet!:rolleyes:

ive got awful thin nails
typical!
x

buttonmoon said:
i think it may just be my nails-its not happening on clients-yet!:rolleyes:

ive got awful thin nails
typical!
x

Hi

Don't lose hope if you nails are really thin and you want to nno them use a sculpting form and slightly extend them that way your nails will have more support and will be less inclined to separate. Also remember NOT to file them unless really necessary as you will break you 'seal'.

Try it out and let us know how you get on.

Latest posts

Back