Brow waxing help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krum

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I do this regularly at work and get nice results usually but I still don't feel confident brow waxing! It makes me so nervous as customers are so particular about it (understandably!) and it's on their face.

I do the measuring so the start, arch and finish are in the right place but how do you know how high to take the arch? How thin should that area be? When someone just asks for normal brows. I also have trouble getting them even as without being in front of the person you can't look at both brows fully and make them the same thickness.

I also wanted some help in how to apply wax smoothly and properly to older wrinkly brows. I stretch the skin but sometimes it is so crepey the wax just drags. What's the best thing to do?

Lastly some clients have full, long, curly brow hairs that even when brushed drag/fall down from the main area I don't want to wax into the bit I'm waxing. This then pulls these hairs and sometimes removes them making it uneven.

I just need some hints and tips really. College wasn't in depth in brows at all! I use a creme strip wax btw. Thank you.

For the arch, it depends on the client, ask them what they'd like. Some like a high arch others don't. Ask them would they like you to bring their arch up a bit more by reducing the thickness underneath. For eyebrows I find explaining every little thing helps and even if you feel like you're being annoying asking a million questions, its better to ask a million qs and know EXACTLY what the client wants than to be vague.

For older crepey skin I use two fingers (pointer and ring) to stretch both the front and end out rather than just stretching the end out.

God I hate those curly hairs! I brush the hair upwards first to get those curly hairs to move out of the way. Then after waxing brush back down and trim any curly hairs that are hanging down over the brow shape. That way you're just removing the curly ends as opposed to taking the whole thing out from the root.

Hope that kind of helps!

That was helpful thank you. I'm ok when it's a young person with soft hair but then you get an older client with wiry thick hair and I want to be able to give them as good a result!

Oh its a nightmare when the hair is super thick and wirey! I actually have one young girl who has curly unruly hair on only one eyebrow! We always laugh about it when she comes in because no matter how perfect I get them it always looks slightly odd because of the way the hair curves downwards like a sideways ) and it cant be trimmed. Some people just have difficult hair and sometimes unfortunately theres literally nothing you can do about it!

I also do my waxing with the client facing me. Some choose to do it with the client lying down. I like to be able to look straight in their face to make sure both brows are matching

I also do my waxing with the client facing me. Some choose to do it with the client lying down. I like to be able to look straight in their face to make sure both brows are matching

How do you arrange this? Like where do they sit and on what and where do you sit. I'd like to try it! [emoji4]

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1441825000.307534.jpg

this is my setup. They sit up and relax their head. I start with the eyebrow closest to me, the ask them to look towards me for the other side. I do 5 strips per eyebrow, I like to be precise to each section. Afterwards and remove any wax residue, tweeze and trim if needed. I normally take my tweezers to the opposite side to shape for a better angle.

Maybe learn Threading. Personally i think waxing is better for removing the bulk of fine downy hair in the brow / forehead area. Some people have lots all over their forehead, so strip wax is good for these fine downy hairs. I find hot wax kinder to the delicate facial hair around brow area like bridge of nose (which is tricky for threading as the nose is in the way), you can control hot wax and see where it goes, applying carefully with a mini wooden spatula. Whereas strip wax can spread out once you press the strip on top of it meaning it could take out a larger area of hairs than you intend!

Refining the lines and shape is much more accurate with Threading, also you can target specific hairs, so if they happen to have lots of wirey long hairs you can push them out of the way with the thread. Try dampening a spooly brush / clean mascara wand and brushing brow hairs up, trimming the long stray ones with clean scissors

As for confidence with left and right you could make your guide points with a clean eyeliner pencil - dots marking out the beginning, arch, and end.

For symmetry I prefer to do brow shaping with the client lying flat on a beauty couch, and use magnifying light up glasses to catch all the hairs

Threading can be more time consuming but costs less in materials and good for clients who have sensitive skin / allergic to wax :)

I also have a similar set up to syvanna except my bed is laying back more just because Im terrified of one day dripping wax into their eyelashes! But I stand beside the bed, I would never stand or sit behind the bed like in college its just pointless you cant see anything.
Having them sit up a bit is better too because when you lie down your face falls back (thanks gravity) and if they've a lot of loose skin its more severe, so the shape might look great lying back but when they sit up and their face falls back down it could be all over the shop lol.

Try an advanced brow course that includes threading and tinting.. They will show you may ways of bespoking a brow
It doesn't need to be hd.. I'm hd brow trained and be brow trained be brow is a cheaper alternative.. I learnt how to trim and thin unruly brows on this one
And how to bespoke brows to clients natural brow shape as well as the more angular brows.. Xx

Latest posts

Back