Need to change from WAXU wax - any good recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've used WAXU for almost 5 years now. It is amazing for hollywoods and facial waxing. I tried numerous waxes before just after I trained and switched to WAXU, mainly HIVE and Salon Services, but I don't think they are that good, they are not a superior wax in my opinion However WAXU customer service has become dreadful and also they have supply issues since October 2022 the hot wax beads that I use have been out of stock, I have only got two bags left now so I need to find a good replacement.

I asked on a thread from a while ago - because someone said they found Cerepril Euroblonde a little harsh for for hollywood and brazilian etc - they said it is suitable for all areas. I have had some samples from Cerepril and Euroblonde was by far the best of the hot wax from them, their 'intimate' I didn't like - very similar consistency to Sienna X. I am waiting for Starpril samples to arrive - I have high hopes for Starpril!! I have tried Wax One hot wax but found it fractures/splits quite easily so isn't suitable for an alternative. I've tried Sienna X hot wax (the peppermint one) recently which is not bad, defo better than Salon Services/HIVE waxes but just not up to how good WAXU is/was!

Help please 🥺 and thank you in advance.

I have waxu.

You might get on with outback Organics jade wax which I use mostly. They also do an onyx wax which might be the closest match - it is excellent for very strong hair and has a sandlewood aroma, I bought some to try but get on fine with Jade so I don’t need an additional wax option. I also use opal wax which is excellent for fine hair as you can apply very thinly making it economical in use.

I order a 10kg box as I’m freaked out at the thought of running out. I order direct but sometimes I order through Ellisons if they have a 20% discount deal going - check the prices on both sites carefully as sometimes Ellisons is dearer than going direct.

There were occasional issues with short supply - mainly the 10kg boxes being out of stock, but they’ve never actually run out of anything. They have been in business for a lot longer than waxu and have an established warehouse so they may the advantage on Waxu. I often see young businesses experience supply chain issues as they haven’t got the cash flow to hold large quantities of stock. I also prefer Outbavk Organics as they have sustainability at their core, whereas Waxu are a bit late to the party and have some catching up to do.

Thanks - I have some Starpril samples waiting for me to try next week I have a Hollywood booked in. I will see how that goes then if still not totally happy get a couple of bags of Outback Organics :)

I have waxu.

You might get on with outback Organics jade wax which I use mostly. They also do an onyx wax which might be the closest match - it is excellent for very strong hair and has a sandlewood aroma, I bought some to try but get on fine with Jade so I don’t need an additional wax option. I also use opal wax which is excellent for fine hair as you can apply very thinly making it economical in use.

I order a 10kg box as I’m freaked out at the thought of running out. I order direct but sometimes I order through Ellisons if they have a 20% discount deal going - check the prices on both sites carefully as sometimes Ellisons is dearer than going direct.

There were occasional issues with short supply - mainly the 10kg boxes being out of stock, but they’ve never actually run out of anything. They have been in business for a lot longer than waxu and have an established warehouse so they may the advantage on Waxu. I often see young businesses experience supply chain issues as they haven’t got the cash flow to hold large quantities of stock. I also prefer Outbavk Organics as they have sustainability at their core, whereas Waxu are a bit late to the party and have some catching up to do.
Hiya TheDuchess

Thanks for the recommendation of Outback Organics. I have fully switched to their waxes. I was happy with Starpril too, but with Outback Organics being vegan, then I've gone with them and they have such a good support and marketing materials, they reply your emails really quickly etc (unlike WAXU, and Starpril haven't been great at answering questions, just sending out samples initially then I bought two different types of Starpril wax to try too).

So i'm mainly using Opal hot wax and the Opal Strip wax, ive bought the leg cartridges and heater too (this is so so much better than the HIVE creme wax roller system I did used to have but sold last year) and I have also bought Jade and Onyx hot waxes to try them out too, as got the brilliant 35% off first order.

Thanks Claire

I have waxu.

Can I ask TheDuchess - which pre and post Outback Organics waxing products do you use, there are so many....

I use their pre wax gel cleanser followed by a squirt of botanical oil before waxing. I use their bush balm lotion for after bikini waxing - it’s wonderfully soothing, useful for facial waxing also, I use their post wax spray for body areas that are prone to spots or that get heated. Like men’s backs. It’s very cooling although some people don’t like it.

I don’t use their after wax lotion products on other body parts as I’m very happy with the products I already have and I have lots of clients with sensitive skin and allergies so I didn’t want to change away from something that my clients are comfortable with.

I find there is a lot of wastage with the packaging of their gel cleanser. One day, after a couple of annoying weeks using the pump as a kind of spatula to retrieve some of the gel goodness from the depths of the bottle, I sliced a bottle open. To my annoyance I discovered more than 50ml of product! This in a bottle holding 250ml! So now I decant these leftovers into a tiny spring loaded nail polish remover dispensing bottle which works beautifully. It has a wide neck so when I can’t pump any more product out, I can reach the bottom with a spatula without any fuss.

I use their pre wax gel cleanser followed by a squirt of botanical oil before waxing. I use their bush balm lotion for after bikini waxing - it’s wonderfully soothing, useful for facial waxing also, I use their post wax spray for body areas that are prone to spots or that get heated. Like men’s backs. It’s very cooling although some people don’t like it.

I don’t use their after wax lotion products on other body parts as I’m very happy with the products I already have and I have lots of clients with sensitive skin and allergies so I didn’t want to change away from something that my clients are comfortable with.

I find there is a lot of wastage with the packaging of their gel cleanser. One day, after a couple of annoying weeks using the pump as a kind of spatula to retrieve some of the gel goodness from the depths of the bottle, I sliced a bottle open. To my annoyance I discovered more than 50ml of product! This in a bottle holding 250ml! So now I decant these leftovers into a tiny spring loaded nail polish remover dispensing bottle which works beautifully. It has a wide neck so when I can’t pump any more product out, I can reach the bottom with a spatula without any fuss.
that is very handy to know about the wastage etc... I like to use every last drop too. Thanks for your advice.

I bought pre wax cleanser and bush balm. I've used them both so far for initimate waxing done two this week, both clients loved it and I used it on eyebrows and lip waxing i've done this week too.

I have done their online leg waxing training - they send a downloadable link, all the online courses are around £20... it is very good. So handy to have video training these days, can start/stop in between clients etc, modern living has it's benefits.

I haven't really ever used a pre-wax oil before, but I know some brands do use them, but HIVE which I used initially once I did my waxing training because that was what the trainer recommended.... then thank god I found WAXU and moved to them, it was just the one pre-wax cleanser and post wax oil and I never needed anything extra tbh.

I'm just on the Outback Organics website - I am going to order all that you have said, I will put in a post wax lotion and an aloe gel to get to over £100 for free postage (or may as well order via Ellisons) but I also want to get the download training for eyebrow waxing and intimate waxing - for £20 each I like to keep up to date and there is always something new you can learn, even though i'm happy and so are my customers, I just like learning. They do an advanced waxing masterclass day too which looks good that i'd like to go on sometime in the future.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Their training is excellent - in person training is always good because you learn so much more with other students. Their intimate waxing is the best course I have sent staff on. They came back very confident and never needed any help whilst they were still inexperienced. I was very impressed.

I like the eucalyptus leg wax. I find the opal wax sticks a bit too well. I buy 200 intimate wipes at a time for clients and they are very popular. They are biodegradable but as all my waste is incinerated for electricity it doesn’t make any difference to me. Look out for the bulk discounts on many items including leg wax rollers

I strongly recommend the botanical oil especially for intimate waxing. It’s difficult to explain how much better it is. But if you are struggling to get a clean result around the labia, take a moment to lightly spritz and wipe over and the next application removes like a dream with every hair lifted.

Their training is excellent - in person training is always good because you learn so much more with other students. Their intimate waxing is the best course I have sent staff on. They came back very confident and never needed any help whilst they were still inexperienced. I was very impressed.

I like the eucalyptus leg wax. I find the opal wax sticks a bit too well. I buy 200 intimate wipes at a time for clients and they are very popular. They are biodegradable but as all my waste is incinerated for electricity it doesn’t make any difference to me. Look out for the bulk discounts on many items including leg wax rollers

I strongly recommend the botanical oil especially for intimate waxing. It’s difficult to explain how much better it is. But if you are struggling to get a clean result around the labia, take a moment to lightly spritz and wipe over and the next application removes like a dream with every hair lifted.
Hi Duchess

Thanks for all your great advice. I have been getting on very well with Outback organics. The Opal strip wax is fantastic and most of my Hollywood clients say they don't have any tingling sensation afterwards which they did with WAXU sometimes. Pre and post wax lotions are very good.

I have tried the opal leg wax cartridges, which I agree are a bit too sticky. I also think the same of the amethyst strip wax cartridge. I like the gold strip wax cartridges so far the best. I wonder if Outback organics will let me return the ones I don't like the swop for eucalyptus that you recommended.

I don't do many leg waxes at all it just isn't something that people ask for. I did one last night for a client going on holiday, tbh I probably only do 3 or 4 a year for someone going on holiday. It was very hairy and had her all over the legs. It took me 1 hour 20 minutes to do a full leg work, office manager I had three nappy sacks full of waste, I charge £35 for a full leg wax here in Lincolnshire. Then her Hollywood, lip wax and eyebrow tidy was all done in 40 mins as normal, £46 for all that which is every 4 weeks.

The outback organics synthetic waxes are excellent, so much better than HIVE cream wax cartridges I had before. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, why it takes me so long. I am such a perfectionist. I've watched the OO training video twice, it's fab training like you said, got lots of updated.

I just having bit of confidence crisis with it, wondered if you had any tips/words of wisdom.

Thanks Claire

I mean the

I mean the Opal hard wax is excellent in Hollywood's, I use 95% that, the opal strip wax is very good too, I sometimes use a bit on the top mound if all don't come out with the hard wax. I don't use strip anywhere on intimate area or bum. Overall it is so much better than sticky cream HIVE strip wax I used to use.

Hi Claire, I’m glad to hear you’re getting on really well with your intimate waxing. You’re right, the demand for leg waxing is a lot weaker and you’re more likely to only get bookings from really hairy ladies as home waxing kits are easy to use. And it takes about 30 mins to do a full leg wax - in the same time you can do a Hollywood and charge a lot more.

However, it’s worth persevering, you get a lot of half leg wax bookings and you’ll get those done in around 12 minutes - it’s an easy upsell in the summer.

I used to be terrible at leg waxing! In the end I did a Groupon offer and did 68 leg waxes for pennies. You literally make no money from Groupon offers but you might pick up a few clients, I did the offer so I could train for free, I covered the cost of the wax and my other overheads but basically worked for nothing. I picked up a couple of clients for other things and one or two became regulars so it ended up being the best advertising I’ve ever done as I had lots of positive reviews and it pushed me up the google ranking. It was very successful as a training solution because I became very speedy indeed. Using pot wax I could do a full leg, underarm and basic bikini in 45 mins!

If you’re interested you’d earn about £8.50 a leg wax based on your prices. Timing is everything, I ran my offer in March/April time I think and only offered a deal on strip waxing services, if clients wanted to upgrade to an intimate they had to pay my usual prices and I explained that I was promoting my strip wax business and trialling different strip waxes to see which one I liked, not discounting my film wax business.

So it is about practise, practise, practise!

You do need to prep with outback Organics prep products to get best results from their roller waxes. Tricky leg waxes tend to be dry legs, with lots of ingrowing hairs. Their cleansing gel, followed by a spritz of oil helps enormously.

There are speed waxing techniques you can learn in a refresher training session - the main tips for roller waxing is to prep both legs at the same time, get the client to flex her knees and briskly massage gel into one leg from ankle to top of the thigh paying plenty of attention to dry areas esp knees, followed by the other leg.

You can apply roller wax to two legs in one go, but I never do this as my clients are usually hard work and I usually can’t work quickly enough. There are quite a few tips on leg waxing on this forum, lots of them from me, mainly about the waxing order and client positioning (hold the legs as if the client is riding side saddle).

The main thing is to have your roller wax hot enough so it flows quickly. You don’t need to press hard, just let gravity do the work by inverting the cartridge. Bond well. Remind yourself to smooth firmly against the direction of removal. Use the palms of your hands to bond, not the backs of your fingers or the side of your hand. You should bond with the other hand to your removal hand. Bonding with the right technique and in the right direction makes a big difference. I usually bond in the wrong direction and not with the palms of my hands because I’m dead lazy, but if that first strip comes off poorly, I sharpen up my technique to bond like a boss.

Then make sure you’re removing by whisking off by pulling at 180 degrees. Pulling at 90 degrees will have you pulling up towards the ceiling, you should be hovering a few centimetres above your client’s skin and “unzipping” towards her nose. You want a firm technique pulling hard enough that you carry on travelling a good 45 cms longer than the end of the strip with a good hard pull that’s not a snatch or a snappy yank, you want to lever the hairs out from the root, not break them.

Manage your client. Have her lying flat, not half propped with her tummy muscles tensed. “Wobble” her muscles if they are hard and remind her to relax the tension. Work systematically, leave tweezing until the end, and wax three sides of the limb with the client lying supine with her legs at the appropriate side saddle angle. Use hot wax on wobbly inner thighs, and check the fold under the butt cheeks before you turn her. It’s easier to get your client to lift her knees towards her chest while you control and position the leg rather than trying to work with her lying prone on her front.

Comment on the condition of her skin, giving pre and post waxing advice and do this right at the start of the service explaining what she needs to do to get the best results. Basically to moisturise daily both before and after her wax, to drink enough water and take an omega oil supplement to improve skin glow and reduce dehydration. You can also consider offering a leg exfoliation pre-treatment as an upgrade, do it well and you’ll get clients booking in for body scrubs!

Hey Duchess - thanks for your advice.... I think it is the complete lack of regular practice for full leg waxes. I used to have a bi-monthly half leg wax but she's moved away. I have watched Claire's online Leg Waxing video training twice through and found very helpful, I used the gel and pre-wax spray first, then after the gel cleanser/post wax spray to help avoid infected hair/then the post wax lotion/.... I have done speed spreading from the roller on both lower legs. I think I am just slow at leg waxing from lack of practice. You've included some good tips for me to think about. I know other therapists in Lincolnshire have tried GROUPON before some with success but mainly the ones in the bigger towns of City of Lincoln, I am in a small town 7000 people half way from Lincoln to Skegness, I don't know how much demand there would be. I will contact them and ask, I don't think I could do an offer with them until after school holidays is over as it is a nightmare already for me to fit all my good regulars in during the hours I've got childcare and i'll be working 3-4 evenings each week... so advertising now would be silly and then most people be over their summer holidays in September but lots of people do have holidays September/October and wintersun... I think a lot of people in Lock Down went back to either shaving or found the home wax strip solution kit you mentioned. Some of my clients did their own Hollywoods during lockdown, but most have come back to me except one which is purely money and no childcare, as the ones that were doing their own had such terrible ingrown hairs as you can't get the stretch and technique right yourself. I do my own high bikini line, and can't get the right stretch myself, I should just go pay someone to do it, lay down for 20 mins myself hahaha

Oophs I've just created another log in on here hahaha. I am one and the same Claire Harness and ClaireBear23cats :)

I love the sound of the OO training videos, definitely going to purchase the leg watching one. Can you view them forever or do you only have access for a limited time?

I love the sound of the OO training videos, definitely going to purchase the leg watching one. Can you view them forever or do you only have access for a limited time?
Hey Peachylady

I've done two orders with Outback Organics so far. The first order you do with them when setting up a trade account you get 35% off products and this includes the training, so if you are switching to them, make sure you are thorough and order as much products as possible in your first order. I didn't and did a second order two weeks later which of course was full price. So far they've not in the three months since I switched to them done any site-wide discounts, they have discounted the odd product individually by 20%.

In the second order I purchased the Female Intimate Waxing training which is also an excellent video, very similar technique to WAXU which is how I originally training in female intimate waxing 6 years ago.

They send the training videos to your online account to download from there, but I had an issue so they sent in a compressed file sharing programme via email which once downloaded yes you keep it forever and can keep rewatching it, which I have done. But there is a time limit on how long you've got to download it, so do it quickly to your device.

which wax do you use ATM? I can highly recommend OO.

I've been following this thread, as I was looking to change wax and based on this conversation, I've just received my first order from outback organics.
As well as the opal peelable wax, I've ordered the gold and the eucalyptus wax cartridges to try. I've never used a cartridge wax machine before, but it looked so much quicker than my normal strip leg wax.,
The cartridge machine instructions fail to give an average working temperature to set it at, just 6 as the highest and 1 as the lowest. What do you find is the best number to set it at for wax flow and client comfort.
Thanks in advance

Hi Julie

I keep my wax cartridges on max for the eucalyptus wax. I’ve found the cartridges very economical in use - they spread the wax very thinly so 100g of wax goes a lot further than pot wax applied with a metal spatula. I find I use far fewer wax strips as well now, as I’m applying such a thin coating. I have waxed full legs with just 3 strips - 1 1/2 per leg!

Just in case you don’t know, start the cartridge off with a few strokes on a paper wax strip to get the wax flowing, it’s more comfortable for the client. You can apply over a much larger area than usual as you’re working so much faster. And less clean up time too! I’ve found the extra cost really worth it as I’m working faster and cleaner - I think my record is 12 mins for full legs on an easy client.

FYI Ellisons also stock some of the OO range. I haven’t had a 20% offer from them in a while but when I do, I usually stock up on pre-wax gel and a few other bits. I buy direct from OO in bulk for their intimate wipes (biodegradable of course), and their 10kg boxes of hot wax and 24 cartridges of strip wax as that’s even cheaper than a discounted rate from Ellisons. I also buy their boxes of 400 wax strips. Their premium wax strips are very good (I’m happy with their cheapest range) and their spatulas are the nicest I’ve tried.

I also really like their jade wax. They’ve reformulated and it needs to be applied thickly so it does work out more expensive in use than their opal, but it’s a life saver for waxing thick strong hair.

Thanks so much for your reply.
I've jumped in feet first and completely committed. I used the 35% opening order offer, so just invested over £350, so hopefully it'll keep me going for a couple of months.
I did know Ellison's stocked it, but until I fell upon thread, it didn't peak my interest, so thank you both (Claire) for pushing me on to upgrade my wax. Really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for your reply.
I've jumped in feet first and completely committed. I used the 35% opening order offer, so just invested over £350, so hopefully it'll keep me going for a couple of months.
I did know Ellison's stocked it, but until I fell upon thread, it didn't peak my interest, so thank you both (Claire) for pushing me on to upgrade my wax. Really appreciate it.
Ah that's great you have jumped in 👍 It really is such a great wax. "The Duchess" helped me make the decision to move and I did ring them and they sent me some samples back in April which sealed the deal! I've just done my third order with OO and I also tried the gold peelable wax, it has beeswax in so this is mainly for me and for non vegan clients perhaps on the upper thighs. I've got their new Blue Peelable wax too, which I've used for my facial waxing, but I think I prefer the Opal. I haven't got on as well with the 'Jade' Wax which I know The Dutchess loves, so I need to trial that one more. But I'm having amazing results with Opal, especially for intimate and facial waxing it is so sensitive and doesn't leave any redness. This is also down to the amazing pre and post products. As The Dutchess said to me, their pre-wax oil makes such a big difference. I actually forgot to use on a Hollywood client the other day, I used the pre wax cleanser but I think 5+ years of using WAXU technique of their one pre wax cleanser I just forgot ... and it really was noticeable different not having the pre wax oil. Useful to have this happen though, as I thought given how much time you spend patting nearly all the product off it wouldn't make such a difference, but oh it does. So I pre-wax cleanser again, and did the pre-wax oil, blotted off and the rest of the Hollywood wax went a dream. Clients have commented that whilst they had no issues with WAXU when I used it they are less sensitive afterwards with OO Opal....

I also got some ecalyptus strip wax cartridges from OO on this recent third order - I had previously tried Opal, Amethyst and Gold. I do rate the ecalyptus like The Dutchess says... I am just not in her league with speed etc. Where in the Country are you The Dutchess, I need a leg wax 🤣

I have been using number 5 on the OO strip wax cartridge heater for leg waxing and find it works well. As The Dutchess said above rolling out the first of the wax onto a cartridge strip really is best way to get it flowing ;-)

Good luck and you'll not regret your purchase.

I've got new waxing clients from switching to OO - people like something new but some have been client recommendations.

I mean the Opal hard wax is excellent in Hollywood's, Empire of Soga Archives - Eldfall Chronicles I use 95% that, the opal strip wax is very good too, Telegram NBA Betting | NBA Bets Telegram | Telegrambetting.club I sometimes use a bit on the top mound if all don't come out with the hard wax. I don't use strip anywhere on intimate area or bum. Overall it is so much better than sticky cream HIVE strip wax I used to use.
Well, well, well, it sounds like you've mastered the art of waxing with the precision of a Hollywood director! The Opal hard wax takes center stage, delivering a flawless performance in those sensitive areas. And when you need some backup, the Opal strip wax steps in, providing excellent support without stealing the limelight. Say goodbye to sticky situations with those HIVE strip wax days! Bravo to your expertise in creating a smoother, more enjoyable experience for your clients. Hollywood would be proud of your waxing wizardry!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back