Burn on nail plate??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh Geek

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have had a client come into the salon recently, who had a soak off and new nails applied.
After applying the product (During the three mins setting time with L&P) the client said she felt a strong burning sensation on the nail plate. this only happened on one nail! (The burning was similar to the burning sensation you can sometimes get with a Gel product if applied too thickly or to damaged nails)

I have had one other client mention a similar problem once before. Does this mean that my client is showing signs of irritation, leading to allergic reaction???

The reason I ask is that, her skin was fine, no irritaton......no burn.... It was the nail plate itself and obviously the nail bed beneath that were burning.

I am particularly careful not to expose the skin around the nail, but of course cannot avoid putting the product onto the nail to avoid burning!!!!

Has anyone experienced this, if so can you offer some advice please???

There was someone else asking abouth this this week.

Do a search chick on burning sensations.

Although most clients do not notice any heat form Liquid and Powder applications, the fact is that heat is given off during the initial polymerization process.

If the product has been applied to the nail too thickly and/or if the nail plate is thin or damaged, the exothermic reaction (heat) can be felt.

Often the thumb is more sensitive than the other digits BUT I would be very surprised if more than a feeling of warmth was felt and not actually burning .... the product would have to be seriously thick and probably too wet a mix ratio on a damaged nail for this to be felt as real burning.

Thanks for that Vicky.... I Have checked it out, but the burn which is being discussed in the thread is one caused by overfiling and efiles....

The burn is actually occuring only after application of my product (I use Creative so it is one of the top products and not cheap and nasty!) and the nail appears to be in a good condition.

Sue

Thanks Geeg

Would this reaction be more, or less, likely when using R+ or Moxie???

It was the thumb nail on which the burning was felt. And due to the hot wheather I had found myself working harder to achieve a perfect mixed ratio. So perhaps I applied too wetly on that occassion.

It is good to know whats what, I was starting to panic that there may be something wrong! Especially as no-one seems to have mentioned it before!

Thanks again

Suex

ALL liquids and powders of every make and persuasion are exothermic.

Maybe with Moxie being fast set, it would be more likely to be felt, but it is very unusual for a client to have felt anything at all unless the product was applied thickly or too wet Ha .. thought it would be on the thumb where she felt it. It is also the digit where technicians apply the most product as well as it being a sensitive digit.

Hi there, I have found that when a nail tech works too wet ( and particularly with a quick-set liquid like Moxie) an exotherm can sometimes be felt with people who have thin nailplates - like me for example!!!
Also, and maybe Geeg can help here...one or two (and I must say VERY experienced and excellent techs) can cause an exotherm by applying the forms TOO well....I know I'm not explaining myself very welll...but it's almost like the form is too snug against the hyponichium and underside of the free edge...I have been experiencing this on and off for years, but only now and again not every time my nails are done, haven't found the answer in Doug's book, has anyone else experienced this?
Something else to look out for - are you working with a spotlight? Excessive and close heat can 'cure' the product too quickly causing fast shrinkage and therefore a feeling of tightness experienced as a 'burn' by some people.

sorry guys, you had already replied by the time I had typed my answer!

Latest posts

Back