Business adventure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyvictoria

Reaction score
I'm quite fed up with where I am working. But over the last few weeks or so I have been thinking of setting up a market stall or something or perhaps an online shop selling clip in hair extensions that i have dyed and hair accessories, perhaps clothes? Handbags? Asked my friend if she wanted to join me and she's very interested. If I decide to do a market stall I was thinking of maybe starting out at car boot sales perhaps, just to like see what its like then when word of mouth gets around about mine and my friends buissiness then perhaps to go out and do local markets.... Does anyone else do this? How would I go about it? Maybe start up a website first or something I'm not sure.

X

Before I went into hairdressing I studied art and design for 2 years. My friend who I studied with I met on that course and she's brilliant at textiles . She makes loads of things. Handbags purses dresses scarfs jewellery etc etc etc. we both work at the same place cleaning, we both hate it, there's literally nothing in Somerset apart from working at a new KFC they have just built in the next town lol. But I can just imagine having a really Girly stall. Hair extensions bridal hair accessories and bags and purses and just a variety of things. If anyone has any experience in any of this that would be great xxx

Do you know Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies ? They're an arts and crafts on line market place, bit like Ebay but specifically for people that make their own products, think its free to set up your own page on there which acts as your online shop, if you sell anything i think they take a little percentage but its really not much. Been thinking about setting up a page on there recently too, seeing as the internet is a big market place these days, with blogs/social networking etc!

Yes car boot sales might be a good place to get your stuff out there if you are there regularly, and people start to look out for you once they know what you're selling... although my experience of car boot sales is that some people are ferociously after a bargin and the haggling may be irritating after a while if you're trying to make a profit! (i remember one time I was selling a really nice, practically unworn top at one for about 50p and a woman argued it was too expensive lol)

Hi there.

I have no experience in this however I have been to a few car boots and all I can say is everyone wants everything for as little as possible. Mainly time wasters that offer you a ridiculous amount of 50p for something worth a fortune.

Maybe you could get involved in your community, lots of fundraising events etc where people put on nights for charities and invite local businesses to "rent a table" for the night to sell their products, do mini manicures etc. I have seen many people with card businesses and accessories etc promoting themselves at these types of events. Normally cheap to enter, it's inside in the warm as isn't at 5am!

Just a thought x

Hi. Not me personally but a close friend works markets. Not car boots as she says that there is no profit to be had. She works regular market stools, a different area each day. Might be worth contacting your local council about a pitch x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks for all your replies! That website sounds amazing :) will deffo look into that. Yeah I was thinking car boots are very cheap,I just remember seeing people selling like wood animals hand carved there and pottery which they made etc, I might go there this weekend just for a look
And see if there's any home businesses there, do you think they'll mind if I ask them questions like would they recconmend me doing it where else do they trade etc. I did look at my local council website today and there's a market in various towns around me every day in the week which sounds great :) xxx

Latest posts

Back