Business budget, Shellac and Minx

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feevis

Reaction score
Hi everyone really needing some help please. Apologies for the long question always best to give all info.

I have recently just started up my business working from home offering limited treatments based on what I already know ... And advertising what I will be adding to my list of services as I continue to complete courses.

My timing still isnt great due to being newly qualified so I cannot book to many clients, and I always make my clients aware and remind them I am new .

I had some money saved and have spent it sensibly on things that I need initially such as printing/paper costs for aftercare leaflets etc, cleaning items and sterilising items consumables, lots of new towels, products etc.

Recently I have had people asking for Minx,Trendy Wraps,Shellac and Gel polish but im confused whats best to go with. Also the price. I looked at fingertips and they currently offer Shellac and Minx training which I would need to have anyway to able to offer the service so there is training cost, then product cost. As I am a small business im not sure what colours/designs clients would like so I dont waste money. Also with Minx I would need to buy limited designs as I couldnt afford a massive selection initially, however what if my clients do not want any of the designs ive purchased? Trendy wraps are cheaper but Im assuming this means cheaper quality and gel polish I love the Gelish colours but again at £20ish a bottle I would need to start why limited colours and not sure if I would be better with Shellac or gel polish or both. Any money I am making just now is straight back out on business costs. Any advice??

hiya, you definately get what you pay for and from personal experience minx is the way to go. trendy are thick and unreliable. i am mobile so also keep a limited stock. i always make my customers aware when they book of the designs i keep, i will also apply their own if they bring them in for a slight discount or i will order them in if they know what they want. at the end of the day that customer will return if you make them feel valued and go beyond the call of duty to keep them happy. i offer shellac and minx treatments and have not done the official training for either of these. i cant recommend offering them as a service straight away but if you practise like mad on friends and family then im sure youll get the hang of them both. There are lots of helpful hints and tips on here and the net to help you. of course if you can afford the training then do it. but i couldnt and minx and shellac are two of my most popular treatments, especially combined! hth xx

Minx are amazing, tried all the other brand and there no where near as good. It's also impossible to stock all of them at once it's way to s
Expedite we stock about 20 at a time and tell clients if they was a Cretan one if they let us no in advance we can order them it. We find the most popular ones are the gold cheetah, snow cheetah, fireworks, gold and silver lightning, hippie chick and pink lightning! Also not sure what products you use but opi are bringing out a copy of the shalac in january

Thanks for the advice there's so much stuff and everytime I open a new issue of Scratch mag something else catches my eye lol. I really don't want to be going to a great expense for products not to be used hence asking what is best to begin with.

I would defo do the training for Minx and Shellac, I don't know if my insurance would cover me if I didn't anyway. I was also under the impression you had to be trained in Minx to purchase it?? but could be wrong

You do have to be trained but if you already have a account with them ( mine was from when it was creative) and are trained in acrylic nails with them you don't have to train to do minx they are super easy

hi there!
i was in this position last year. The fingertips centre is fantastic!!! you wont get better education and support and the cost of training is redeemed against your kits. If you wanted to do shellac and minx i would suggest just buying some key colours (dependent on the majority of your clients taste) french colours, a red, etc and maybe just starting with 6 and you can build from there.
i bought a minx kit and i think it included 6 designs at the time. i bought a couple more i think i started with about 10 in total of what i thought would be popular, gold, silver, cheetahs and so on.
I work mobile so if im booked for a pamper party or minx client enough in advance i give them the sweetsquared website and tell them to click on the minx and then if theres a paticular one they like i order it in for them. Very rarely have i had someone not use the one they've picked and they always get used.

good luck

sarah

Thanks for the advice there's so much stuff and everytime I open a new issue of Scratch mag something else catches my eye lol. I really don't want to be going to a great expense for products not to be used hence asking what is best to begin with.

I would defo do the training for Minx and Shellac, I don't know if my insurance would cover me if I didn't anyway. I was also under the impression you had to be trained in Minx to purchase it?? but could be wrong

Aslong as you have a manicure cert you can buy it....

Training is greatthough and pretty much free if u buy a kit !

To make u feel better im mobile and have around 15 minx designs at a time. Like the individuals above i can order things in but not always as i would not pay the p&p for one minx - would not be worth it for that one client as would put my costs up. Ive never had someone not like any of the designs....so wouldnt worry about that !

I started shellac with only five colours- rosebud, tutti frutti, tropix, beau an creme puff. I wanted to try it....and from there i grew it by a few a month. I have all shellac cola except 3 now and those 3 are out of choice im not in salon and feel they are too similar to others so no need, others will disagree but just my opinion! Training for this is also fab and if u cant do it straight away get practicing like mad then do it when you can afford it.

Thank you everybody for replying, I would certainly do the training for both Minx and Shellac even if the minx application is easy, I think it would be better to have another certificate to the pile and no point doing things half heartedly.

I was contemplating possibly conducting a poll on my page where clients can vote on their favourite Minx designs and Shellac colours and I would maybe use that , in order of most popular to try and make my choices but not sure how to go about the poll, however , may be beneficial.

I do not doubt for a minute these services wouldn't be popular, particularly as clients are asking for them but as mentioned above I think I will start with classic colours such as french etc and take it from here.

I certainly think I am going to go with the 2. I work in a small area within my home so not really any room to have displays etc so I will need to try and work round that and think of other ways to lure interest as I don't want to pay a lot of money for lovely products to be stored in a drawer lol.

Thank you for all the advice and if anybody has any more, please comment below :)

I started exactly the same as you..........take a look at my web site Nails By Hazel had a few blunders with different products starting up but now have found the range of products I do now are very successful............hope this helps xxx

I started exactly the same as you..........take a look at my web site Nails By Hazel had a few blunders with different products starting up but now have found the range of products I do now are very successful............hope this helps xxx

Your nail page is fantastic, I love the video explanation as clients often do not know the difference between the products being offered. I notice you offer paraffin wax...totally off the subject but again how do you find this works for you? All I seem to get requests for is nail enhancements and the requests relating to this post, again paraffin wax is something I would like to offer.

As you can tell i'm trying to launch my business on sensible decisions lol as it is all too easy to overspend or get it all wrong. I have definitely decided on the Shellac and Minx training ,the full minx kit is only a few hundred £'s with 6 designs and I get training with it, that is a price I could manage. If I save a little bit. After the initial start up costs ease over I will soon be making a profit so training and products services will be achievable

I personally would do shellac first - only because our toes are now away for winter...then in new year train in Minx...just my opinion lolxx

Your insurance should have no probs without you going on the Shellac/Minx training. The only qualification you need to offer Shellac/Minx is Manicure & Pedicure, and CND and Sweet Squared will confirm this. The classes they hold are more like workshops just to help you with technique and any troubleshooting. In fact when I did the course they never even gave certificates. I think they may do now. I personally would advise doing them as you learn a lot of tips that will probably help you, however that should not stop you offering the service at the moment ( providing you have Mani/Pedi cert xx

Your insurance should have no probs without you going on the Shellac/Minx training. The only qualification you need to offer Shellac/Minx is Manicure & Pedicure, and CND and Sweet Squared will confirm this. The classes they hold are more like workshops just to help you with technique and any troubleshooting. In fact when I did the course they never even gave certificates. I think they may do now. I personally would advise doing them as you learn a lot of tips that will probably help you, however that should not stop you offering the service at the moment ( providing you have Mani/Pedi cert xx

Aww I see, yes I have a manicure/pedicure certificate already, but I didnt know that I could start using the products without training so was was a little confused with it all.

I think I will go for the Shellac training, as mentioned above this is a good idea to go with first as winter is here and toes will be locked away lol. Not sure if you do get a certificate or niot, I havent actually fully researched the training yet, maybe I should have actually did that first before asking questions lol. I have had a look on fingertips website and looked at costs etc and read a bit about the products but this is as far as I have went.

Great advice everybody. I wasn't really sure where to start etc as there are soo many variations of long lasting manicures and wrap services it can get a bit confusing. I looked like Shellac and Minx started the trend and the rest are following with their own versions, well at least that's what it looks like to me lol

Your nail page is fantastic, I love the video explanation as clients often do not know the difference between the products being offered. I notice you offer paraffin wax...totally off the subject but again how do you find this works for you? All I seem to get requests for is nail enhancements and the requests relating to this post, again paraffin wax is something I would like to offer.

As you can tell i'm trying to launch my business on sensible decisions lol as it is all too easy to overspend or get it all wrong. I have definitely decided on the Shellac and Minx training ,the full minx kit is only a few hundred £'s with 6 designs and I get training with it, that is a price I could manage. If I save a little bit. After the initial start up costs ease over I will soon be making a profit so training and products services will be achievable

The start up for paraffin wax is not costly......there are many start up kits available with everything you need included.........fantastic add on service to shellac......shellac manicure first then paraffin wax treatment.......great for the winter months for dry skin........I also have a few elderly clients that love it as it eases their athritis and rhumatism......it is also very easy to do and will improve your profit..........:D

Aww I see, yes I have a manicure/pedicure certificate already, but I didnt know that I could start using the products without training so was was a little confused with it all.

I think I will go for the Shellac training, as mentioned above this is a good idea to go with first as winter is here and toes will be locked away lol. Not sure if you do get a certificate or niot, I havent actually fully researched the training yet, maybe I should have actually did that first before asking questions lol. I have had a look on fingertips website and looked at costs etc and read a bit about the products but this is as far as I have went.

Great advice everybody. I wasn't really sure where to start etc as there are soo many variations of long lasting manicures and wrap services it can get a bit confusing. I looked like Shellac and Minx started the trend and the rest are following with their own versions, well at least that's what it looks like to me lol

Great idea to do Shellac first as toes away for the winter, but remember Xmas is coming up so plenty of strappy sandals will be getting worn. If your not sure about offering Minx without being properly shown how to apply then think about Rockstar toes. You can do this with shellac. They are going to be so popular for Xmas.

As for Shellac training, until you get on your course try looking on You Tube. CND have some fantastic videos about the shellac application. Also search Fingernailfixer on you tube. Holly is a CND educator and gives fantastic advice.

Thank you everybody for fantastic replies , it is all clearer now :)

Latest posts

Back