Business in the same area with the same name!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura1201

Reaction score
I was chatting to a client the other day while doing her nails and she asked if my business was a franchise (which it's not). I soon realised that a girl who has just qualified has started a mobile business in the next town from me and has the same name! To make it worse her own name is the same as mine but with an N at the end. I'm worried that some people will get us confused and if anything was to happen to get her a bad rep it would come back on me! I looked in to getting my name trademarked but it's pricey and I've only been in business for 4 months myself so not really something I want to be spending just now. I rent a room in a hairdresser. Is there any advice anyone can give or do I just go about my business and let her go about hers? :S

If she's new could you not phone her and tell her the names are the same and that as you were in the market first she should change hers? Or could you not change your business name to something completely different? Xoxo

I had thought of doing that but now I'm struggling to find her contact details. Will ask the client who told me next time I see her. I don't want to change my name because I've always loved it and it's original, or was original! And I had it first!! (lol, childish I know!!)
Thanks for your reply :)

I would suggest you contact her first and in a friendly way ask her if she knows that the names are really similar. She might not be aware of it and might not have done it intentionally - so you need to be careful with your approach.

If it is not intentional she will probably be fine with changing her name as she is just starting out.

If it is intentional you will need to decide what to do. If she is copying you, she will copy what you do anyway so you might be better of ignoring her and carrying on as you were anyway - with you name, treatments, prices etc.

Good luck with this very difficult situation.:D

Thank you. I don't think it was intentional and she's just not realised I'm here too. I will try and contact her and bring up the situation. Thanks for your advice :)

yes I agree just be polite and nice to her and see what happens. In a totally different context this happened to my friend when she started as a kids entertainer, Lisa Lollypop and she had a call from Lollypop the Lady Clown who had been in the business longer and explained her predicament nicely and Lisa was more than happy to drop the pop and be Lisa Lolly! :D

I'd put it to her in the same way you mentioned above...what happens if YOU do something to affect your rep, it may come back on her rep aswel. That will make her think, and more than likely will want to change her name just incase xx

I'm intrigued what is the name??

Ask her politely and explain that because she has only just started it won't effect her client base as much of her name changed because (not to sound horrible) her name won't be aswell known as what yours would be if that makes Sence.

This happened to me! I've been in the business under my name for over a year then recently someone copied my name letter for letter! I was devastated!!!! Check to see if it's already been bought on companies houses, If u type in 'webcheck' on google it'll come up, if it's available buy it! It's all legally yours then you can sue her etc. it'll clear all her business off the directory too. I've been lucky with mine now, the other salon that copied has been busted for drugs! Karma ;) hope that's some help xxxxxx

I even had a solicitor involved too, (my friend) but it didn't have to come to that, just check on webcheck xxxx

Latest posts

Back