Business | Jamilla Shows Business Can Be Beautiful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
No one can deny that 2013 has been Jamilla Paul's year. As if landing the job as the Big Boss in MTV’s Beauty School Cop Outs wasn't enough, the MTV celebrity hairdresser has now been named Business Woman of the Year at the Rochdale Business Awards.

In what turned out to be a dramatic evening at the ceremony last week, Jamilla beat two other women to the title, but not before a mad mercy dash to the local hospital after her mum Elizabeth slipped while entering the hall and ended up with a broken shoulder.

Fortunately, Elizabeth made it back from the hospital in time to see Jamilla rewarded, not just for putting Rochdale and Manchester on the TV map with her role as the Big Boss in MTV’s Beauty School Cop Outs, but for also rebuilding her business after it almost floundered three years ago. It was a fitting award for Jamilla’s business, which celebrated its 15th birthday in September and is now in excellent condition.

‘I got a huge fright when I realised the business I had spent 12 years building was at risk,’ said Jamilla, who owns the listed four-storey building that houses her flagship salon. ‘I had been distracted by the excitement of the industry, travelling around the world and I had taken my eye off the most important target. Fortunately, I have a great team around me now, and together we have revitalised the business.’

The team across both JP salons now numbers more than 30, and offers a full range of services including hair, beauty and an on-site photographic studio, making it Rochdale’s biggest grooming business. Jamilla is still hugely proactive in the industry, working hard for the Fellowship for British Hairdressing and as an educator for Wella.

Jamilla was cast as the Big Boss for MTV’s Beauty School Cop Outs earlier this year, and appears weekly on the channel’s prime time 10pm slot trying to guide eight self-obsessive young people through a series of tasks aimed at introducing them to the grooming industries.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 17.49.19.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 17.49.19.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 224

Latest posts

Back