Business owners-what wage do I deserve?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybunnyx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

basically I am in the middle of deciding whether to stop working in beauty (employed by others) because i am pretty sure I don't get paid what I should do.

So basically if you could tell me what you would pay me as a business owner that would really help me out!!

I am qualified in:

-nvq 2 in beauty (mani/pedi/facials/waxing/tinting/perming/basic make up)
-nvq 3 in beauty (aromatherapy/swedish massage/indian head/electrical facial)
-nvq 3 makeup (includes special fx)
-nvq 3 nail enhancements
-spray tanning
-threading
-Gels
-Ear piercing

also got a level 4 in PTLL'S teacher training

I have been working for nearly 4 years, I have also rented a room self employed for a year before and have worked in salons in between this. I have always been a key holder to all the places I have worked. been allowed to cash up/bank/stock take/deliveries etc

I always update their facebooks/emails/client details/ package ideas etc...

and the highest I have been paid is 6.50 per hour

now I feel like I should be on more seeing as I can get more than that an hour working in retail?

any advise would be great!! x

Can't help you out but I'm thinking the exact same. I've got exact same qualifications as you (except teaching) and been working as a beauty therapist for 6 years. In 3 different places over the 6 years. Also done cash up/ had a key/ stock etc. don't know if that's relevant but since you mentioned it lol. And highest I've been on is about the same as you. It's really frustrating and I'd love to work for myself. I have everything ready to do it except the b*lls haha.
I'd like to hear people views too :)

Laura xx

I pay my girls about that basic but they get very good comission which boosts them quite a bit above. They don't have as much experience though.

Think it depends on where abouts you are in the country too?

im near to Croydon, surrey.

& ive never had commission, its always just been the wage.
xx

I'm not a salon owner but in the same postion as you. I qualified over 10 years ago I am ALWAYS busy and rarely get a lunch yet only on £6.50. After christmas i am going to have to re-evaluate my situation as I physically can not afford to work where I do anymore. Its sad because I love where I work but it I don't have a life as all my wage goes on my mortgage and bills. Can I ask why you haven't gone into teaching? As I am just completing my PTTLS xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

exactly, I don't see why I should work for 6.50ph which I can get more working in McDonalds lol, when I am fully qualified in beauty & at the minute I am unemployed, looking for work so that's my priority at the minute, and the courses for teaching got booked up last year and then this year couldn't find a college that would take me on for VOLUNTRY hours which you need to do the course and it has to be confirmed before you get a space on the course lol so all up in the ait at the minute.

x

Hi. I'm a salon owner and my staff at on minimum wage plus commission. It's the best way for me so if staff are not busy (I have one who is just covering their wage ATM) I don't have to fork out but i think if you are bringing the money in you should be paid accordingly.

I pay my girls min wage and no commission at the moment. Only because they really haven't got much confidence and don't do all the treatments I offer so therefore they are not able to do much.
When they are busier I will give them commission. But have no idea what is the norm. If anyone can share what the give as commission I would be very grateful. Thank you.

My girls are just under £1 over minimum wage, I feel it's only fair as they could do an unskilled job for the same money if minimum wage. The girls are talented and very valuable so I feel I need to appreciate them and at the end of the day that extra £1 could stop them moving to another salon :) x

Hi my girls get minimum wage but then receive commission above a certain amount x

I have recently left my employed work, I think I got about £7 per hour and now work for myself around £20 per hour.
If you can, go it alone. I understand a boss needs to make money but its at your expense sometimes ( back wrist problems). Or think about teaching beauty? That's better money and you can do private clients too.
X

I don't think its about the bosses making money, generally there are a lot more overheads running a salon than being mobile or running a home salon.

As a salon owner I actually make less than my staff at the moment :).

I get commission but still only takes me to about £7.10 an hour.
I always knew the only way to make decent money in this industry was to work for yourself though.

I was chatting to my mum the other day and she said its ridiculous how little I'm on after all my training etc, when I could walk into her office job tomorrow and pick it up working for £5000 a year more. But there's no way she could do my job. Her words :)

Oh gosh I neeeeeed my own salon :)

I can understand you boss's saying min wage when there not very experience and jut covering wage.
But it's frustrating knowing I've taken the salon about £1000 a week and I earn roughly a 1/4 of that before tax.

Again. I neeeeeed my own salon ;)

And I'm in South Yorkshire.

Laura xx

Hi everyone,

basically I am in the middle of deciding whether to stop working in beauty (employed by others) because i am pretty sure I don't get paid what I should do.

So basically if you could tell me what you would pay me as a business owner that would really help me out!!

I am qualified in:

-nvq 2 in beauty (mani/pedi/facials/waxing/tinting/perming/basic make up)
-nvq 3 in beauty (aromatherapy/swedish massage/indian head/electrical facial)
-nvq 3 makeup (includes special fx)
-nvq 3 nail enhancements
-spray tanning
-threading
-Gels
-Ear piercing

also got a level 4 in PTLL'S teacher training

I have been working for nearly 4 years, I have also rented a room self employed for a year before and have worked in salons in between this. I have always been a key holder to all the places I have worked. been allowed to cash up/bank/stock take/deliveries etc

I always update their facebooks/emails/client details/ package ideas etc...

and the highest I have been paid is 6.50 per hour

now I feel like I should be on more seeing as I can get more than that an hour working in retail?

any advise would be great!! x

This sounds about the norm. I have a good range of level 3 qualifications in beauty, nails and holistics, a couple of years experience and a few degrees worth of common sense. Most I've been paid is £6.48 an hour. The job I left recently was bang on minimum wage.

Im just beginning as self employed. ..I think I'll make less money in total but as a secondary earner in my relationship, for me it's about dignity and respecting myself to be honest. ...especially seeing that a lot of employers can't offer full time and send you home after half an hour if it's quiet.

I think in any industry, if you don't ask your manager for more money, you won't get it. Id be asking for a pay rise if I'd been there over a year without commission...

I completely appreciate that most owners don't want to pay their staff more but if other industries manage to then why cant we? It doesn't seem fair that we work hard for our qualifications and experience and don't see any return.x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with pinkbunny, if you don't ask you don't get. I only have 2 employees just now. Both on just over the minimum wage, but both new to the industry not yet earning their keep. But they are both earning more per hour than me at the moment. Been open a year. If I could get an experienced therapist that could pull in clients I would offer £7 per hour plus commission as a starter wage.

I think in any industry, if you don't ask your manager for more money, you won't get it. Id be asking for a pay rise if I'd been there over a year without commission...

I completely appreciate that most owners don't want to pay their staff more but if other industries manage to then why cant we? It doesn't seem fair that we work hard for our qualifications and experience and don't see any return.x

Unfortunately I think that's the problem with the introduction of minimum wage. In theory it was brought in to stop unscrupulous employers paying ridiculously low wages and taking advantage of people desperate for a job but it seems in practice to have driven down the cost of skilled professions. For example I live near a law firm who are advertising for paralegals on £12-£14k with a law degree and preferable the Legal Practices Certificate too. When I graduated from uni in 2003 law graduates without the LPC were offered c£18k. In 1996 I had my first set if nails done (It was my 16th birthday) and they cost c£30. 17 years later I'm doing that job for £29 a set. Says it all xx

Unfortunately I think that's the problem with the introduction of minimum wage. In theory it was brought in to stop unscrupulous employers paying ridiculously low wages and taking advantage of people desperate for a job but it seem In practice to have driven down the cost of skilled professions. For example I live near a law firm who are advertising for paralegals on £12-£14k with a law degree and preferable the Legal Practices Certificate too. When I graduated from uni in 2003 law graduates without the LPC were offered c£18k. In 1996 I had my first set if nails done (It was my 16th birthday) and they cost c£30. 17 years later I'm doing that job for £29 a set. Says it all xx

I want to see this living wage thing come in. We should be paid a wage that we can live off, not one that is about sacrifice.

My time in the beauty industry has largely been about financial sacrifice. You've got to enjoy it. Re pay I've often said that enjoying what I do is more valuable but now that I'm burnt out from working for others for the time being I am looking to work for myself if only as a bit of a change.

With the job i last left, the final straw came when as a zero hours contract I was denied time off that I asked for two months in advance and then when I came into work that day like a good little girl i was sent home after three hours. I kept my cool in front of people but in my head i was fuming.

Last edited:
I could never go back to working in a salon because of the low wage, we used to work on commission but it was set so that you had to be consistent all month. If you wasn't as busy for one week of month you would not get much commission so would only get basic.
And I was considered one of the busiest stylists there!
Since becoming mobile I work a lot less hours for a lot more money, and if I have a day where nothing is booked, I get to spend it at home with my two yr old daughter instead of sitting in a staffroom. I honestly would never go back now ☺️

I think your first comment is correct as in if you don't ask you don't get. Nothing wrong with asking, just be able to justify it when you are asked! A lot of people can't. Industry is certainly different...my husband comes home and asks me how much did you make today...I could say £500+ if I have a CACI course of treatments..I've worked out not to ask him ....as he will say anywhere between £8k and 500k+ he can sell two products for 30k with a GP of 50%....that's how you make money, sadly not here!

Latest posts

Back