Business side of nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shashi

Reaction score
Hello all - this is my first post but I have been a follower for a while ;)

I feel I am ready to start my career in nails (have been qualified since July last year).

Could any of you please help with the following...

I currently work mon-fri 9-5 in an office and would like to start renting a space in a Salon on Saturdays....where do I go / who do I need to speak to regarding tax / NI issues etc? (all the grown up stuff) :p

What else would I need to do in order to set up?

As much info as you more experienced Geeks can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you

When I was starting up I made an appointment with Business Gateway. They can help with everything you need to know, plus they can give info on any grants available. I got a grant to help towards building up my products. HTH 😃

Sorry, just realised BG is up here in Scotland. I think the English equivalent is Business Link. X

You would register on HMRC website as employed (office job) and self employed (renting a space) and take it from there.

If you have a tax advice office local to you I would grab it with both hands and book an appointment.

I've seen lots of similar threads on Biz Geek page, extremely informative and helpful - I received lots of useful advice

Thank you for all your replies so far!

Would anyone mind posting a basic step by step of what needs to be done while I research and try to get my head around everything?

Very excited to start this new venture :)

Thanks again

I registered in 2011 so it's a little difficult to remember the actual steps and know it's correct so you will have to check the facts. Go onto the HMRC website and register yourself and allow it to ask you the questions.

I am employed as well as self employed so you will need to have all your details such as NI, P60 and your wage slips.

A good start for you would be to have a look at the HMRC webinars and select the ones you believe will be helpful. They were useful to me and many others on here. You can watch/listen to prerecorded ones and you can also register to listen live where you can type in your own questions relevant to that actual webinar. You will find these listed again on the HMRC website. Although the website looks very busy, once you have found where to register and get all your log in details through the post you can find your way around.

It's a bit complicated to explain to you without you having tried to navigate on their site first.

Latest posts

Back