Buying a house

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsel

Reaction score
I've brought a house with my partner and it's all going through now. This is hard to explain but I was wondering if anyone else has come across this.

In out title report which tells us what the solicitor has done for us , it states that the house is freehold but subject to a rent charge of £2 a year however the vendors have confirmed that it has never been collected, it says the property is subject to an agreement in a conveyance dated when the house was brought ( this was written in 1901 but in old English so very hard to understand)

But I have the paperwork to say the house is freehold?

And now our solicitor has sent us a letter to say , that the vendors solicitors have confirmed that the rent of £2.10 is still collected every year , and we have a receipt to prove this was last paid in dec 2013 .

What I can't understand is why we have to pay this when the house is freehold, I will be on the phone ASAP to the solicitor in the morning but was just wondering if anyone else has come across this .

Could be a chancel payment, covenant, or flying freehold. Your solicitor needs to look at this more closely and explain it to you.

Thank you , yes your right , reading up on the www but that's even more baffling !

Latest posts

Back