Buying wedding dress online

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexyb82

Reaction score
Hey all, after some advice from any of you that face purchased a bridesmaid/wedding dress from EBay Or similar. I am getting married and want to keep costs down as being married before and spending a lot on a dress, it seems silly to spend that much on a dress. Has anyone found quality to be poor? A few people have said sizing is a nightmare so if anyone has experience in this it would help! Thanks xx

Hey all, after some advice from any of you that face purchased a bridesmaid/wedding dress from EBay Or similar. I am getting married and want to keep costs down as being married before and spending a lot on a dress, it seems silly to spend that much on a dress. Has anyone found quality to be poor? A few people have said sizing is a nightmare so if anyone has experience in this it would help! Thanks xx

A friend of mine bought her wedding dress on Ebay last year. Originally she put in searches for 'Ivory wedding dress' and the prices were prohibitive, so she started another search for 'Ivory dress' and the prices dropped dramatically. She bought one from China, got the measurements and adapted it herself when it arrived. It cost her just over £50 and it was beautiful! :D

The dress 'Was' a wedding dress, she just left the vital 'Wedding' word out of the search and made sure she got accurate measurements. She knew she was taking a bit of a chance but ordered well ahead to avoid disappointment. The dress was of good quality, with plenty of intricate detailing.

Fortunately, she was handy with a sewing machine because, when she contacted dress makers to alter it to her requirements, the price literally went through the roof when she mentioned the 'Wedding' word! It was full length and she wanted it a bit shorter with an undulating hemline.

Overall, she saved herself a fortune and looked gorgeous in her £50 Ebay 'Ivory dress.' :wink2:

Personally, I would not do this as you can't tell the quality of the fabric online.

Lots of high street stores now do nice wedding dresses, have you thought about that? Coast, Debenhams and I believe Phase 8 now do too. I would check them out online then go and try them on.

There are also lots of websites which sell second hand wedding dresses, they list who the designer is and they usually have photos of the bride wearing it on the day so you get a proper idea of what it is like. If it's in your area you can go and try it on and check out the condition before you part with your cash.

Another shop to consider is Monsoon. They have lovely wedding dresses that don't cost the earth!

I considered this for my wedding last year as didn't have much money to spend either. I decided to go with sample sales to find my dress instead. I was worried about not getting the dress in time, quality and sizing if I ordered online. Try places like this where you get great dresses at huge discounts! http://weddingdress-factoryoutlet.co.uk/locations/london.php

Also worth checking your local wedding dress shops, when the new ranges come out, the sample dresses from the previous stock all go on sale. I got my dress for £400 this way and if ordered new it would have been £1200.

My sister tried to get bridesmaid dresses from eBay for her wedding, they took ages to arrive and fitted horribly and they were really difficult about exchanging/refunding,

Good luck with all the planning, weddings can be stressful so I hope you get to enjoy this exciting time! Xxx

Last edited:
I ordered my wedding dress from "light in the box" from china lovely dress and great fit x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I ordered mine a few weeks ago from "light in the box" I chose to take my measurements. I was extremely impressed quick delivery and quality beautiful product x

I know 2 people who have done this. And neither of them ended up wearing the ebay / online dresses. They were a disaster and they both ended up having to fork out way more to buy one from a shop.

My cousin got hers from light in the box, lovely dresses but you have to factor in extra for alterations. Hers came up way too big despite sending her measurements.

Keep an eye out for sales in wedding dress shops - they usually sell off dresses from previous seasons just before the new seasons stock arrives. This means you can get an expensive, great quality dress for less.

Good luck with your wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Thank you all so much for your advice! Xx

I got mine from eBay! It was £97 including delivery. When it came it fitted perfectly apart from the zip and the back was a bit still so I took it to an alterations shop who fixed it for about £10. I love it and I'm getting married next week! Hope it still fits after all the rubbish I've ate! Xxx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394612959.754544.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394612978.019480.jpg

One of my friends owns a very well known local wedding dress shop. The prices of the wedding dresses for her to buy are no less than £500-2000.

She also says that NO wedding manufacturers make dresses in china.

Yes you can get cheap dresses from eBay but I believe you get what you pay for.

A customer of mine bought an 'Vera wang' wedding dress off eBay for £97! Seriously?? So it's genuine? That's why the shop she tried it on it was £3000. I think not. When it came she loved it...until she stood in the wedding dress shop having it altered and she realised how cheap and nasty it looked!

Personally I'd steal clear of eBay as I think for your wedding it's important to see your dress, feel it and make sure it's gorgeous before you buy it.

Debenhams do some lovely dresses and so do other department stores. Is try there first xx

BHS also do a bridal range if you've not already looked there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I bought my dress on ebay for £110, it was nt from china but a shop selling off old stock and was brand new with tags. It was beautiful and great quality , it had a corseted back so allowed for a little adjustment .
The dresses advertised from China look amazing in pics but have heard of many horror stories, about quality , fit , material etc.

There are lots of sores such as preloved where you can get amazing second hand wedding dresses, my sister did and got a dress that had nt been worn , still available in shops as she had tried it on in a shop the week before and at a fraction of the price .

My dress was from Monsoon and it was gorgeous!

There are some stunning looking dresses in BHS too, I saw a beautiful Grecian looking style in there recently.

Personally I always think it is better to try it on, feel the fabric and see it in real life before buying a dress as important as a wedding dress.

Best wishes x

Well, obviously my friend got lucky but she did know she was taking a risk buying like she did from China on ebay! It may not have been their idea of an ivory wedding dress (or even their intention) and it wasn't advertised as one, but it certainly looked like one by our standards! She didn't want to pay a fortune for a few hours' wear, took a chance and luckily it paid off - for her! She did get what she paid for, as in a lovely dress that she was very happy with, did the job and didn't break the bank.

It is a risk buying like that and there will always be horror stories, but fortunately her story had a happy ending. :D I know of a couple of other people who've bought their wedding dresses from far flung parts, too, and they've also been pleased. I am not especially advocating it, just relaying an experience where thrift and a bit of a gamble did actually pay off. 'You pays your money and you takes your chance!' :hug:

I bought my wedding dress from ebay, but mine came from a private seller in the UK. Brand new with tags from Monsoon - £80 - it was lovely. I was at an advantage, though, because I'd tried the self same dress on in Monsoon beforehand and went away to think about it. I was idly having a gander on ebay shortly afterwards, spotted it and couldn't resist the saving. :wink2:

Last edited:
I saw a dress I liked online and got a local dressmaker to recreate it with good quality fabric for £400

I bought my wedding dress on line a few years ago (online store not ebay) it cost me £229 and there was a returns policy for peace of mind (the company name escapes me though sorry). I had my alterations at a wedding dress shop so still enjoyed that part of it and the ladies genuinely loved my dress- they couldn't believe the quality, style and price and their cheapest dress was £900. Not the best pic but it shows the top half at least. Im lucky im so short as the dress was really long the wedding dress shop were able to give me a lovely train at the back xx

Attachments

• 1394721984571.jpg
    1394721984571.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 104

Attachments

• 1394722250617.jpg
    1394722250617.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back