Calgel removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkbunny28

Reaction score
Hi all

I am due to remove calgel from a client's nails at the end of the week. I wondered if any of you who are calgel trained would be able to offer me any advice or hints in getting it off?

My plan is to buff the top coat off and then wrap for 15-30 mins, checking at 15 and then 5 min intervals. I will be using cnd shellac nourishing remover as this is always faster and is what I use for pretty much everything now!

Just wanted to know if that's calgel's procedure to buff then wrap? I'm not particularly looking forward to it but she trusts me to remove it properly for her and as a professional I will do my upmost to make sure my clients are happy! x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes just do has you say.
It comes off easily enough. If its been Infilled a few times will take longer x

I don't even buff calgel, I just soak a pad, wrap in foil and it just slides off in 15/20mins, longest its ever taken is 30 mins and that's because it was glitter. I use either calaway( calgels remover) or acetone.
Never tried nourishing remover on calgel but it works really well with shellac / vinylux so I presume it should be fine with calgel :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

That's great. Thank you. It's been infilled once as far as I know (she was asked to trial it by someone I think and she doesn't trust them enough to take it off clearly :rolleyes: )

I think I will buff topcoat just to give it a bit of a headstart as I'm not sure how thick it is actually x

Hiya,

I wrap mines off, the removal is pretty much the same process as Shellac removal except as you mentioned above I would buff the top just to make sure the remover soaks through better, especially with it being infilled.

Once I have finished wrapping the last finger, I then go to the first finger then try ease it off with an orange stick - again because it has been infilled it might not all come off so I just put the wrap back on and carry on with the other fingers. It should take no longer than 20 mins depending on how dry the condition of the clients nails also :)

Calgel recommend that you remove the gloss top coat with non acetone polish remover as this makes removal of the gel easier. Then using a 100/150 grit file, buff through the top layer of gel which allows the soak off solution to penetrate quicker.

Removal time depends on colour and thickness and this can be helped by placing the hands into heated mitts whilst soaking.

Also, Calgel seems to take longer to remove at the tips of the nails so please don't be tempted to chisel this away but rather be patient and allow it to soak off.

Ok thank you all.

Th client said to me this morning that she's been told it doesn't soak off and needs to be filed off....I told her it can't be calgel then! Im hoping it will soak off x

I think izabelle hammon do a hard gel if that's what it could be?! But not sure of the name of it x

I think izabelle hammon do a hard gel if that's what it could be?! But not sure of the name of it x

Not what I know of. Only other is the iz gel. But this is soak off. X

That's the one I was thinking of, thought it was buff off, sorry my mistake x

Calgel do do a buff off top coat, I think it's called touch and go.. Regular Calgel is a normal soak off procedure..x

Turned out it was soak off. She used a gelish top coat? So I filed that off and then wrapped. Took about 40mins wrapped to actually soak it all off and I had these stupid bits on the tips that were a nightmare.

I'm not doing that again. Shellac removal ONLY from now on!!

Thanks for all the help guys x

Turned out it was soak off. She used a gelish top coat? So I filed that off and then wrapped. Took about 40mins wrapped to actually soak it all off and I had these stupid bits on the tips that were a nightmare.

I'm not doing that again. Shellac removal ONLY from now on!!

Thanks for all the help guys x

You stand a chance of losing business if you refuse to move other types of gel. Instead, why don't you try offering removals at a set price per 15 minutes eg. £10 for first half hour and £5 every 15 minutes thereafter? This way you can offer your service and get paid for your time.

You stand a chance of losing business if you refuse to move other types of gel. Instead, why don't you try offering removals at a set price per 15 minutes eg. £10 for first half hour and £5 every 15 minutes thereafter? This way you can offer your service and get paid for your time.

I understand what you're saying but I just don't feel the need to. I rarely get asked to remove other people's work actually and when I do, I try to upsell other treatments so I have something to do while they're soaking. I'd just prefer not to do it at all! I talk them over to shellac anyway and then I don't have issues.x

I understand what you're saying but I just don't feel the need to. I rarely get asked to remove other people's work actually and when I do, I try to upsell other treatments so I have something to do while they're soaking. I'd just prefer not to do it at all! I talk them over to shellac anyway and then I don't have issues.x

I understand what you are saying, but if you talk them over to Shellac then don't you need to remove whatever is on their nails first before you can apply Shellac and therefore being paid for the time it takes to remove whatever product they are wearing?

I understand what you are saying, but if you talk them over to Shellac then don't you need to remove whatever is on their nails first before you can apply Shellac and therefore being paid for the time it takes to remove whatever product they are wearing?

Sometimes but not often actually, most of them peel whatever they have on, off until I make sure they don't do it again! x

It was a nightmare because you used nourish.... use plain of acetone and your problems will be solved. Nourish doesnt work with calgel especially IZ.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Glad I read this as just had a phone call asking for a Calgel removal but when you remove something you haven't applied you just don't know how long it's going to take!
I had someone last week who asked me to remove her shellac. Turns out it wasn't shellac (she had it done in Spain) & it was a pig to remove. So now on, will only remove what I apply!

I use acetone and it removes easily. . Depending on how many infills it has had will depend on time it takes to remove x

Latest posts

Back