Calgel top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Tecs, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I trained in Calgel back in 2012 but have taken a wee break over the last few years and used over products. I'm looking to go back to Calgel and wondered how much of you were still using it. Is it still as popular? I found that everyone just wanted cheaper gels and not sure if they are prepared to pay for Calgel overlays. If doing overlays do you still do 2 coats colour, one clear and then then are you now using the IZ touch and go no wipe? Do you think the one clear coat is still required if using the touch and go? is the touch and go needed or you think shiny enough with the clear top. SO much has changed and just don't want to be going outlaying more than I need basically. Totally appreciate your comments.

Tecs, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I trained in Calgel back in 2012 but have taken a wee break over the last few years and used over products. I'm looking to go back to Calgel and wondered how much of you were still using it. Is it still as popular? I found that everyone just wanted cheaper gels and not sure if they are prepared to pay for Calgel overlays. If doing overlays do you still do 2 coats colour, one clear and then then are you now using the IZ touch and go no wipe? Do you think the one clear coat is still required if using the touch and go? is the touch and go needed or you think shiny enough with the clear top. SO much has changed and just don't want to be going outlaying more than I need basically. Totally appreciate your comments.

Welcome back after 5 years. Have you looked at any of your industry magazines like Scratch? This and social media will of course tell you plenty. Clients who 'want cheap' don't care what you use. Question is... do you want to just go cheap clients or... do you want to do great work, use great products, update your education info (which is paramount after 5 years) and charge east you're worth!!!

Answering those thoughts may help direct you on where you want to go next!!! Personally I find it very difficult to trust or get behind cheap. I worry they are not educated, buying their stuff from non exclusive distributors which means probable fakes and that my natural nails will be harmed.

If I'm paying more... I'm happy to do so but also expect a bloody fabulous treatment!!! HTH's [emoji173]️
Love & Respect

Last edited:

Hey hun & welcome back :)

Im a Shellac/CND girl but recently trained in Calgel too. I either do a base layer of IZ Clear gel, 2 coats of colour & then touch & go or just 2 coats of colour then touch & go.

Im a Calgel newbie but get the impression a lot has changed product & training wise recently so a refresher course might be an idea?

There is a fab Calgel Techs group on FB that is really helpful if you don't find the answers on here <3

Im naff at posting links, but search on FB for - UK Calgel Nail Technicians & you should find it :) xx

I love calgel , I am sure iz Hammond offices will be offering re fresher courses. I don't think their prices are too hectic , I think client's appreciate quality and natural nail care.
I don't care what anyone says I have been in this job for well over 15 years and I can peel calgel off and re apply without buffing my nat nails and they don't lift or chip and last well. No other product I know has been able to keep the natural nail in perfect condition.

Latest posts

Back