Calling all hairdressers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jospurs

Reaction score
Hi

At present I am a nail tech but would really love to get into hairdressing. I can go to college for a year as I have to work.

I have found some home study courses but my insurance says I would not be covered as I would have to do some pratical work for a NVQ

Does anyone have any ideas how I could get pratical and get an NVQ without studying for a year.

Thanks in advance.

Jo x

Hiya Jo

I don't personally know of a way around this. Hairdressing is very much a hands on ongoing profession.
I know where you are cming from, but honestly the way to go is through the normal route hun.
You can do it part time in the evenings, if you cant manage full time , but generally with hairdressing you do need to do the full 3 yrs nvq training.

Maybe someone else will come along and be able to tell you otherwise but as far as i am aware this is the only way to go.

There are private courses, but cost a lot of dosh, and i think you need to be already qualified to do some of these as many are advanced cutting/colouring etc.

hope you get sorted hun, but hold fire until someone else comes along who may know different.

Good luck. Give me a yell if you need any help.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi try www.traintogain.co.uk this is a government website that gives advice on hairdressing courses around the uk and what funding and training is available.Hope you have some luck with it all x

Hi try www.traintogain.co.uk this is a government website that gives advice on hairdressing courses around the uk and what funding and training is available.Hope you have some luck with it all x

I tried that link but it didn't work I think its gov.uk?? not sure if this is the site you ment though there is also train to gain east if your in the east of the country :)

I did nvq in college for two years it was a part time course for cut, blow drying and setting and was one full day a week. There are other part time courses too. I am doing a essential nails home course but if there are home courses for hairdressing now I really wouldnt see how they worked you really do need a hands on course for this.

Hope this helps

Lynn

I'm doing hairdressing part time over 2 years at college, we only get 3 hours a week practical, that's nowhere near enough as far as I'm concerned, but you have to work in a salon (either voluntary or paid) for a minimum of 30 hours as well, and everyone who's done this so far says it really has helped.

Why don't you phone the salons around you and ask if you can do a few hours a week voluntarily to get experience? You never know where it might lead.

i agree..call around...im doing the same thing right now..volunteering in the salon so i can get a feel for everything before i start classes...it has been very helpful..and also when taking your course even at home couldnt youuse your time in the salon as practical hours????...i dunno things might be different here..now im curious too

Latest posts

Back