Calling all massage therapists, help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit Basque

Reaction score
I do Swedish Massage and also incorporate a lot of massage into my other treatments as client love it so much!

However, as I am getting older, my joints and bones make quite loud cracking noises which I find a bit embarrassing and probably makes my clients jump a bit sometimes :)

My hands, forearms and shoulders are particularly "cracky". I do have arthritis in my right hand but nowhere else so far.

Can any of you lovely Massage Therapists or Beauty Therapists who do a lot of massage suggest any supplements or exercises or whatever I could take or do to overcome this a bit?? .:Love:

Many thanks
PB
x

Iv heard cod liver oil is great for joints, my mum damaged her knee and she takes it and its helped. Sorry I dont have any other advice.

Sent from my MT15i using SalonGeek

I take rose-hip & green lipped mussel supplements x

I have had clicky, cracky joints since I was young and have been concerned as there is arthritis in the family. My Dr says I should not worry about the clicky, craking as it is just trapped air in the joints and that it will cause me no damage.

Maybe you could book an appointment and ask your Dr if there is anything you can do to limit how often there is a build up of air in your joints or medication you can take to help the joints at all.

Glucosamine is said to be helpful - there was another thread recently ( think someone had injured their wrist?) where we were talking about ways of saving the joints when carrying out massage. I did a hands-free type workshop, it was fab, and I use the moves from that where possible so save my wrists and hands. Someone else had suggested Hydrotherm training might be useful. Worth trying to stop you snapping , crackling and popping! :)

Omega 3 fish oils good quality 1000 (my phone doesn't do the concentrate sign) were what we were recommended by our tutors they were also nutritionists they're a bit pricy but worth it you can get them for bout 12 pound in holland and Barrett as well as strengthening exercises x

Thank you all so much for your recommendations so far!

There are some very interesting sounding food supplements out there! I already take 1000 mg Fish Oil supplements as I wear contact lenses but alas it doesn't appear to be helping the old joints.

Oh well, perhaps I'd better start handing out ear-plugs to my clients or put my music up a bit :lol:

PB
x

Think it must be a hazard of the profession I click alot too have had ganglion cysts drained on my wrists and my wrists flexibility can be bad at times too I read a book called save your hands that record all sorts of exercises etc but I'm awful at keeping them up

I always remember when doing my head, neck & shoulder massages in my Beauty training, the tutor said clicking & cracking is what comes with the job.

I've had physio on several joints over the years & all the physios have said as long as there's no pain when your getting the clicking theres not much you can do.

If there's pain, I'd go & do yoga, telling them about the job & what muscles you use as they'll be able to show you exercises that help with pain management for RSI.
Or see about Acupuncture, it does really help with so many issues & isn't painful at all as the needles are thinner than a strand of hair !!

high dose glucosamine, you can also have other additions to this so check what says is best such as chronditum (sp).

if you can stomach it, aloe vera do a chronditum and glucosamine.

Bless you, I feel your pain! Keep your fluid intake up, to help with swollen joints - lymphatic drainage!! As for the problem itself, avoid too much massage in a short period of time, stretch your painful areas & practice good posture exercise! Ibruphen helps with pain & swelling, as does 'white tiger balm' on swollen areas.... Help that helps x x

The cracking is simply the expansion of nitrogen gas within the joints, there is not much one can do to stop it.

It is completely harmless and does not forbode arthritis.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi why don't you do a no - hands massage course, these are fantastic and you still give a brilliant, professional massage x

Glucosamine or cod liver oil are very good for joints.. Glucosamine would be the better of both :) x

Hi lovely geeks

Thanks SO much for your ideas and experiences....it makes me feel very supported!

Having creaked, cracked and popped my way through a couple of massages today I think I will be heading off to Holland & Barratt in the morning :)

Ho hum ....

PB
x

Latest posts

Back