Calling all Trainers tutors etc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiler13334

#Nailartistic_me
Reaction score
Hi all
I was wondering while looking through many posts just how many of you are trainers, tutors, teachers etc.
What was it that made you want to train others in your art,
and how long are your courses or do you work for yourself?

Thanks guys xx

I qualified as a teacher 18 years ago.
I tried teaching in FE colleges and hated it.
I have been teaching at a community level for 7 years which I love, it means I teach 10 week courses in community centres, schools and libraries to a level that is for 'friends and family'.

this year I decided to start training in my own right so I now teach professional courses to professionals, my courses are all accredited through THE GUILD.

I love teaching, I love watching a nervous student turn into a confident professional, I love that moment when they obviously 'get it'!

I have attended many courses myself, and some courses I have BEAMED with happiness from start to finish as I KNOW when I have attended something that I was meant to learn.

I think the main difference between my one day courses and the courses taught at colleges is:
if you have already attended a VTCT or similar course at college, then WHY do you need to go through Health and safety, business planning, what is now deemed as PC and was is not, and A&P again and again and again.
My aim is to to bypass those things that have already been taught, and get down to what you are there to learn; practical skills (which can sometimes be overlooked in importance in colleges because they are too busy filling in pointless paperwork) with essential theory and Health and safety and anatomy and physiology that relate to that specific subject.

I have been teaching at a community level for 7 years which I love, it means I teach 10 week courses in community centres, schools and libraries to a level that is for 'friends and family'.

this year I decided to start training in my own right so I now teach professional courses to professionals, my courses are all accredited through THE GUILD.

I love teaching, I love watching a nervous student turn into a confident professional, I love that moment when they obviously 'get it'!

I have attended many courses myself, and some courses I have BEAMED with happiness from start to finish as I KNOW when I have attended something that I was meant to learn.

I think the main difference between my one day courses and the courses taught at colleges is:
if you have already attended a VTCT or similar course at college, then WHY do you need to go through Health and safety, business planning, what is now deemed as PC and was is not, and A&P again and again and again.
My aim is to to bypass those things that have already been taught, and get down to what you are there to learn; practical skills (which can sometimes be overlooked in importance in colleges because they are too busy filling in pointless paperwork) with essential theory and Health and safety and anatomy and physiology that relate to that specific subject.

I think I have found my long lost twin. heheheh:lol:

I really dont knoe how to follow what you have said only that I have been in the industry for over 10 year and teaching for the last 3 in FE.

I am also the Scottish Educator for Young nails and have been for the last 3 years.

I also agree with the following:

I love to hear about a trainer who is passionate about what they teach, it rubs off on the students and they in turn feed off it:)
Why didnt you like teaching in FE colleges?
Great aim of yours to bypass the H & S etc so far for me I have completed units for this 3 times. I am now doing a level 3 H & S so hopefully it will not be required again. Mind you the tutor we first had bored us to tears and nothing sank in. Where as the stand in tutor actually made us want to know more and in detail. Keep up your great work;)
x

I think I have found my long lost twin. heheheh:lol:

I really dont knoe how to follow what you have said only that I have been in the industry for over 10 year and teaching for the last 3 in FE.

I am also the Scottish Educator for Young nails and have been for the last 3 years.

I also agree with the following:

Do you enjoy working in the FE sector? when you go on courses do you find yourself taking notes on the tutor and adding the bits you enjoyed into your own teaching methods? or are you having to teach a certain way as far as the guidelines?

You too sound like a great mentor:)

wow!! you all do my dream job!! I would one day love to teach nail extentions. The problem I dont know where to start?! I obviously have to have some sort of teaching qualification but I'm not sure what one?! any advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!!

They keep changing the course name but its a two year part time course for teaching post 16 and adults!

I loved doing my course and I love teaching. Tried to get a job at local colleger but i was 'over qualified' which may explain the talentless robots that leave my local college into the beauty sector.

I would love to teach in a college but seen as i'm 'over qualified' (whatever that actually means!!) then I stick to private teachings instead.

x

Hi all
I was wondering while looking through many posts just how many of you are trainers, tutors, teachers etc.
What was it that made you want to train others in your art,
and how long are your courses or do you work for yourself?

Thanks guys xx
ive been doing nails for 12 years and teaching for 7 i did my teacher trainning course in 2001, i have taught for colleges but didnt enjoy the pressure on passing students to make the numbers look good. i got my ezflow educators cirtificate, but then got my own salon and moved to ibd. i then taught for michelle porters part time whilst running my salon. i sold my salon after 5 years to spend more time with my kids and to concentrate on teaching. after having my little boy i taught for entity part time. i loved the products but wanted to work for a company that did the organising of the courses for me, so i could concentrate my spare time on my comps and session work. i am now the north east educator for united beauty and loving it. not only do i get to pass on my skills but also write new courses, try new products and do my competitions. teaching is very rewarding, if you get with the right team.
gemma xx

haha how stupid is that?! Over qualified is there actually such a thing?! lol Stupid people. ohhh i'll have to try and hunt for some teaching courses.

I love to hear about a trainer who is passionate about what they teach, it rubs off on the students and they in turn feed off it:)
Why didnt you like teaching in FE colleges?
Great aim of yours to bypass the H & S etc so far for me I have completed units for this 3 times. I am now doing a level 3 H & S so hopefully it will not be required again. Mind you the tutor we first had bored us to tears and nothing sank in. Where as the stand in tutor actually made us want to know more and in detail. Keep up your great work;)
x

I think you answered my point, you have to do H&S over and over, you spend more time talking about being 'p.c.' eg how to treat a disabled client or an asylum seeker than actually learning the practical skills.

When I was teaching the practical skills it was great, but the pressure to get the students in receiving clients condensed it, and once clients are in, you are so busy dashing from table to table, you hardly take your eyes off the books, putting in codes and your assessors number and your name, than actually watching what the student is doing.

If a student has done a full course at college, they have done A&P and H&S and the like, so why not then go onto a short intensive 1 or 2 day course which teaches you essential theory but the emphasis is the practical work with realistic discussions on how to market the treatment.

Thats what I thought???? I asked her what she meant but she just said you have too much under your belt to teach level 2!

I found out off someone she worked with that it was actually because I was more qualified than her!

Strange but true!

Great posts to read.
Sounds like you are all what trainers should be like and not just have the qualifications. Passionate, thoughtful, people person and able to encourage a student to have confidence etc which in turn gives them the abitility to believe in themselves :)

Over qualified?? they must have been crazy to turn you down, surely the more knowledge you have is better for the students? their loss!!

Its interesting to read who enjoys what area of the teaching sector xx

Do you enjoy working in the FE sector? when you go on courses do you find yourself taking notes on the tutor and adding the bits you enjoyed into your own teaching methods? or are you having to teach a certain way as far as the guidelines?

You too sound like a great mentor:)

Yes I do enjoy working in the FE sector most of the time just the politics that get me mad.

I always take notes no matter were I am if it is a good point or a reminder never to do that.

Within the FE sector you do have to follow the guidelines that are set down by the governing body SVQ, NVQ,VTCT etc. Sometimes you may not agree on a method or procedure but still have to teach it. (Politics)

:hug:

I teach in FE and at the moment teach in various colleges teaching beauty, nails and holistics. I love my job (well most of the time) and find nothing better then when your students just get it when they think they never would. The thing is when you go in to teaching you just nver know what your going to get. Last year I taught alot of school children, which at times didnt really feel like that's what I went in to it for but has now made me stronger. I have just started teaching teenagers that do not go to school and who have huge problems. I'm also taking a few courses myself at the moment and finding it very difficult to keep my gob shut! Its give me a great lesson in some of the things we should not do.

Latest posts

Back