Calling all U.S.A Techs, Teachers and educators.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachi

Reaction score
Please help,

Ok here is my story. I have been trying to get my License now for over a year. I started at one school but had to leave because we had to move right after I enrolled with no hr's. That was not a big issue. So Now I find my self in Vancouver Washington where I can only find one school. So I go down and enroll, give them my $1000 cash and fill all my paper work out. Now I have been reading this site for over a year, watching all the education videos I can getting all the practice I can in that time, BUT on friends and family NEVER on out side people.
So I start this school on 3/17, 4 weeks ago. And in that time I have logged maybe 58 hr's at school. I have done 5 full sets, 4 Pedi, and 10 manis. I have not had 1 class!!! NOR has a teacher looked at any of my sets of nails or any other work while it was being put on or after it has been applied. I feel I did a good job for the client, but that is NOT my issue. I am starting to feel as if I am paying for my Hr's NOT my education! I have asked for class and have been told they will get to me but never do, I have asked them to look at my work and I am told they are to busy. I am the ONLY nail tech at the school and now I know why!!! I went to my 1st show (hair show) with some girls from school since there was going to be some nail stuff there, classes and such, I told people what was going on and they all said get your money back, Turn in the school and GET OUT!!! This is what I want to do, especially since I was filling out my class hr's and they did not mach up to the times I was at the school. EI; I said on day 1 I was at school for 10 hr's and did 2hr's of acrylics ( the rest of the day I sat in the back room alone watching youtube....) and that was it. My instructor said "give me your hr's" I handed them to her and she said " no no no. this is not the way to do this." Then proceeded to fill in the hr's with things I had not done!!! FAKING my hr's!!!! :evil:

Now I find that there is another school in town! Not only that but the have great nail classes :sigh: so that is where I will turn to next.

WHAT I need help from you all is with getting my money back, since they have miss represented them self, and pulling out of the school. THEn I will turn them in. But I want to make sure I am doing it the right way.

Much Love and thanks
Sachi

Any help from any where is much appreciated, but I am not sure of the laws in the UK. And since I do not know the U.S forums like I know you all, I am turning to you. and GIGI!!!! GEEG I NEED YOU :sad: Please fly back to the U.S and hold my hand.

Last edited:
Hi Sachi, I would start out by talking to the owner of the school. Ask for your money back, or at the very least, a partial refund. If that doesn't work, call your state board, tell them what is going on and see what they recommend.

Until then, start documenting EVERYTHING that goes on at 'school'.

HTH! :)

I agree with that. I don't know the laws in that state, but generally you need to have so many classroom hours before you can go on the floor and then have to have so many floor hours to graduate. After all, the purpose of the school is so that you can be properly prepared for boards.
I would defo document, speak to the owner and be prepared to go to the board with your issues. Do not back down.

Sachi,

I can see you are stuck and I understand. I am sure you are concerned about there only being one school, and if I were you I would check that before you take further action. Talk with your state board and see if they have a list of schools. Maybe there is a teacher that you can go to that you are unaware of.

I was in a very similar situation. The beauty schools in my area were not offering nail classes, and I needed a 60 hour refresher course, as I left the industry several years ago and had to reinstate my license. I enrolled in a school that was WAY below standard, did not check work, did not do any "class room hours" with their students, and was completely unsanitary. Because I had already done a full course many years ago, I stayed there to get my hours in and reinstate my license. However, I am now self-training for several of the things I missed out on in the refresher course.

Sadly, with the lack of funding with most states in the US, I find that the complaints are falling on def ears. The schools seem to know this and are looking to make a quick dollar rather than give a proper education.

My suggestion? Look out for yourself first. This is how you will be making a living. Either find someone to train you (another school or teacher), or stay with the school and get your manditory hours and train yourself. There are great books, and many companies that offer extra classes where you can learn. Once you get that settled and have license in hand then file complaints with the school and the state.

Just my $.02...

Malea

Well some good news in all this mess. I start at the new school tomorrow!!! I am so happy, not sure if I am going to get any of my money back but I will try. the new school uses OPI and my kit is Ez flow but they are willing to work with me on the stuff I have to help off set my costs.
Find out more about the other school tomorrow. :rolleyes:'
Thanks for the help guys! :Love:

Latest posts

Back